PDA

View Full Version : Types of Detailing Clay

shoeless89
09-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey guys! There have been a few post's lately about clay and I've been thinking about the different aggressive grades of clay. So the Pinnical Ultra Poly Clay says it's for cars that get clayed fairly often and won't effect wax or sealants. Then obviously there are clays that are agressive like Meguiars. Now I'm wondering what is a good medium range clay? I've used Mothers, Meguiar's, and Griot's clay. I've had a good experience with Mothers and Meguiar's. And Griot's seemed more like an agressive clay to me, it was really sticky and out of the 3 clays it was the only one that would take off the AWEFUL overspray we worked on. So what clay's do you guys suggest for the average car?

Im the MAN

Setec Astronomy
09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
You call Meguiar's an aggressive clay, but Meg's has 3 different clays. They have the red (overspray) and blue (normal) in the pro line, and the Smooth Surface (white) in the consumer line.

I've never considered the Griot's to be very aggressive, but maybe they've changed it. The "standard" medium clay used to be the Clay Magic before there was so much differentiation in the market. Sorry I'm not much help, but I really haven't bought any clay in a while because I got so caught up in flavor-of-the-month and BOGO's, sales etc, that I may never be able to use up what I have.

Italian Iron
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Would the Meg's smooth surface clay be the best for a factory new BMW that is virgin and never been touched or go with the Pinnacle ultra poly ???

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Would the Meg's smooth surface clay be the best for a factory new BMW that is virgin and never been touched or go with the Pinnacle ultra poly ???

Factory new cars can have quite a lot of contamination on them. What are your plans after claying? If you are going to polish after you could be a little more aggressive with your claying.

You could try to decon with Iron-X or the FinishKare Decon kit, to dissolve things first.
The Pinnacle clay and the Meg's Smooth Surface clays have the same idea, an ultra-fine clay with minimum abrasiveness, I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

shoeless89
09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Thank's guys. I know the Griot's clay isn't really an agressive clay but because of how sticky it is I wouldn't like to work with it very often except on certain situations. And I know Meguiar's isn't agressive, I was trying to refere to the Agressive (Red) clay when I wrote that but apparently didn't do a very good job lol. I have Iron-X and have used it a few times so far.

I guess what I'm really looking for in my original question is what is a good medium range clay. Meguiar's Smooth surface, Mothers OTC and Pinnacle are all more of the Ultra-fine catagorey. Then Griot's and Meguiar's Mild clay are in the medium range. And then the Agressive clays that state they are agressive.

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2011, 10:03 AM
An old standby was the blue Clay Magic, but it doesn't seem that's available from PBMG. The Meg's blue is similar. It seems to me that Clay Magic used to be available at Autozone or Advanced, don't remember which (I always get them confused, I don't really have a local of either) or whether they still do.

mjc189
09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I just purchased some clay magic from auto zone :xyxthumbs:

Italian Iron
09-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Going with the Meg's smooth surface then, AIO for polish and Collinite 845 to pop the Alpine White..

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Belair
09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
...I guess what I'm really looking for in my original question is what is a good medium range clay...

Uber makes a gray clay that is medium aggressive.

EuroFD
09-14-2011, 06:15 AM
I use the DuPont Fine-Grade Clay. There's also a Medium-Grade Clay. I use the fine-grade once a month, or whenever I feel asphalt & tar stains on areas of my lower door panels.

Setec Astronomy
09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
I use the DuPont Fine-Grade Clay. There's also a Medium-Grade Clay.

DuPont clay? Never heard of it. You're in Europe?

RedMed
09-14-2011, 08:14 AM
What type of clay should I use for light overspray on a less-than 1 year old car?

EuroFD
09-14-2011, 08:50 AM
@Setec: Nope, I'm from Asia. The DuPont QM series claybars are available here, but limited to specialty shops.