PDA

View Full Version : Prepped for sale...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Garry Dean
09-12-2011, 05:17 PM
So my girlfriend and I are at the stealership picking up her new car.

I am going nuts! Severely irritated by the way their detailing dept does things.

The car has snot all over the tires, interior and engine bay, a hazy residue all over the black paint, barrels are gross. Much more bitching to come, don't worry.

This 2010 Corolla gets my undivided attention tomorrow. You will see pics and video of everything.

I just opened the hood to look at the engine bay and shook my head. The salesperson said " how's it look?"

I said "it looks like a dealership detail."

More to come. Stay tuned.

cmichael258
09-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Toyota dealership on North Florida? Sounds just like one I bought there about 10 years ago.

BobbyG
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Garry,

These people are absolutely clueless and are professional liars....

As I was reading your post I started chuckling because of your description but
can appreciate your frustration with the number of knuckleheads that actually call themselves "professionals".

Once if the issues I have is I expect everyone else to be as anal about perfection as I am. Seeing some of the half-ass'd shortcuts or what they call "professionally detailed" leaves me wondering about the rest of the operation.

Get it home and perform your own magic then show them how it should be done!! :props:

bobble
09-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I hear you. My GF just bought a gently used 2008 MBZ C350. I asked her to aks them not to prep the car (more stuff to undo in my mind). She said they're just going to wash it, so I kept my mouth shut why ruin her special day. We g there to pick it up, they not only washed but it had two nucks in it on the passenger rear door that were not therem fixable but never the less, Anyhow I walking around the car, looking at all angles etc to see what is really in the paint and notice some circular marks like a buffer was taken to the car shut off while still on the car, we all know what that looks like so I mention it, salesman has no idea oh that will wipe right off and he goes and gets a rde shop towel, you know the burlap looking ones and I stop him. I simply asked what did they put on the paint prior to delivery as I'm goign to strip everything that weekend and redo and just want to know what I'm dealing. He says nothing, well where di dthe marks come from then. Blank stare, I am cetain it was glazed up because the moment I washed it stripping the old protection there were some small swirls. Those guys are quantity not quality and could care less.

Ron Atchison
09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
It's all about getting you off the lot and a deal is done. Back when I started at a new car dealership in 79 all the cars were properly cleaned and waxed before delivery. Most people expected to have come back the next day to get their new car. Today by the time the paperwork is signed your in your car driving off. There were times it may have taken most of the day just to get one new car ready for delivery GM paint was bad back in the 80's. Wash job, QD spray, windows, dress the tires in the cheapest stuff they can buy. Good to GO. The Ford dealership where I bought my F150 doesn't even employ a person who can buff a car. I had a couple of scratches I asked about and was told the buffer guy comes once a week and could maybe get them out if I wanted to come back!

Garry Dean
09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Toyota dealership on North Florida? Sounds just like one I bought there about 10 years ago.

No, it was Courtesy Nissan on Hillsborough and Dale Mabry.

Garry,

As I was reading your post I started chuckling because of your description but can appreciate your frustration with the number of knuckleheads that actually call themselves "professionals".

Once if the issues I have is I expect everyone else to be as anal about perfection as I am. Seeing some of the half-ass'd shortcuts or what they call "professionally detailed" leaves me wondering about the rest of the operation.

Get it home and perform your own magic then show them how it should be done!! :props:

Imagine how funny it would have been for you to see me Freaking out to my gf at the stealership. No worries. I can fix it. I just don't understand how the majority of people are happy with the garbage they call detailing.

I hear you. My GF just bought a gently used 2008 MBZ C350. I asked her to aks them not to prep the car (more stuff to undo in my mind). She said they're just going to wash it, so I kept my mouth shut why ruin her special day. We g there to pick it up, they not only washed but it had two nucks in it on the passenger rear door that were not therem fixable but never the less, Anyhow I walking around the car, looking at all angles etc to see what is really in the paint and notice some circular marks like a buffer was taken to the car shut off while still on the car, we all know what that looks like so I mention it, salesman has no idea oh that will wipe right off and he goes and gets a rde shop towel, you know the burlap looking ones and I stop him. I simply asked what did they put on the paint prior to delivery as I'm goign to strip everything that weekend and redo and just want to know what I'm dealing. He says nothing, well where di dthe marks come from then. Blank stare, I am cetain it was glazed up because the moment I washed it stripping the old protection there were some small swirls. Those guys are quantity not quality and could care less.

It is something we will just have to deal with I guess.

This is a perfect example of why I make the big bucks, I guess, lol. Some people ARE as particular as I am. Thank you to you people who are as anal as me!

rwright
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Garry,

Well said BobbyG, well said!. :props:

Garry, I can't wait for your write up and to see before/afters! When you finish the car you should take it back and show them what a real detail looks like! :xyxthumbs:

richy
09-12-2011, 06:23 PM
In the last year, my wife and I have both bought a brand new vehicle. Me a 2011 Lincoln MKX and her a 2011 Durango Citadel. In both cases the sales manager was expressly advised not to touch it, and in fact I wanted delivery of a dirty car. Of course I had to promise not to penalize them for their CSI (which would be pretty stupid of me if I did after they followed my instruction!). Both cases we got dirty cars that I was able to clean properly and protect. I was very insistent and neither manager wanted to see me pissed off...they knew better. Happy ending for us. Clear communication is so important.

Hoytman
09-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Garry, if I could swing it I'd definately look you up for lessons. I've been told on the job that I'm too particular. My reply, "I resemble that remark!" Thanks to my mom.

timaishu
09-12-2011, 06:45 PM
In the last year, my wife and I have both bought a brand new vehicle. Me a 2011 Lincoln MKX and her a 2011 Durango Citadel. In both cases the sales manager was expressly advised not to touch it, and in fact I wanted delivery of a dirty car. Of course I had to promise not to penalize them for their CSI (which would be pretty stupid of me if I did after they followed my instruction!). Both cases we got dirty cars that I was able to clean properly and protect. I was very insistent and neither manager wanted to see me pissed off...they knew better. Happy ending for us. Clear communication is so important.

How do you go about saying that without coming off as being rude?

Im just curious what you told them.

skipper1
09-12-2011, 07:39 PM
You're worried about being rude to a car sales salesman? Get over it.

rwright
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
How do you go about saying that without coming off as being rude?

Im just curious what you told them.

I know this was directed at Richy, but when we bought our Regal last year the doors and some other panels had some dealer installed swirls and even a scuff on one door. We drove the car a couple days then returned it. I told the salesman that if they washed the car again before the deal is finalized I will refuse delivery and walk away. He thought I was joking and said "We always wash them before delivery" and I said I'm dead serious, you wash it and you're keeping it, I will go somewhere else. The car was parked on the back lot with a note not to touch it.

Porsche Pilot
09-12-2011, 08:07 PM
My wife and I purchased a new Acura ZDX a few weeks ago. I begged and pleaded for them not to prep it. The salesman was kinda bitchy about it but I told them that I just bought a 60 grand car so I think it is my option.They took in the back to check all the fluids and lo and behold...they prepped it. The reality of it didnt set in until I was on the way home. It was dusk when we left. Well, on Interstate 95 at 80 mph we hit a major rain storm. The "detailer" had used tire shine on all of the windows, inside and out. I am assuming by accident. Every window fogged up to a point that I was completely driving blind. The goop reacted with the humidity from the rain. Luckily I found the side of the road safely. Maddening! I had to bring the car back a few days later to get the nav system cleared out. I expressed my outrage with the general manager. I was offered a free Acura hat! Dolts!

The only car I have ever gotten completely unprepped was our 2010 Panamera. I ordered that car from Germany and met the truck at the dealership. I drove it home, plastic and all. But, it would have been hacked too if I let them. High end, low end, new, used...they are all the same. Volume without a care for quality.

Kristopher1129
09-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Did you expect a professionally detailed vehicle? We all know they are not capable of that, haha! Even if they have a quality detailer, they most likely are not going to perform as they should due to the pay rate. It's all about speed, not quality.

Kristopher1129
09-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Did you expect a professionally detailed vehicle? We all know they are not capable of that! Haha, even if they have a quality detailer, they most likely are not going to perform as they should due to the pay cut they'd be taking by spending that kind of time on any vehicle. It's quantity, not quality.