PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Rain-x

Rencor
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
What is te best way to remove Rain-X from the windshield?

ScottB
09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Dp Glass Restorer should work, its abrasive and cleans well too.

JRivers
09-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Once, I made the mistake of spraying Rain-X on the inside glass...it fogs like crazy :nomore: so I used APC+ 10:1, followed by a wet rag and then my Megs glass cleaner to removed it and it worked well for me.

Jimmie
09-12-2011, 12:25 PM
As you know it can be a pain to remove. The job becomes simple with a buffer, and bonnet over the pad. It's a huge time saver too. You can do all of your windows in minutes.

WrightDetail
09-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Rain X is yucky....I find anyones Quick Detail/Spray Wax does just as good and doesnt build up like Rain X

Rencor
09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Jimmie, what products doe use with your recommended method?
As you know it can be a pain to remove. The job becomes simple with a buffer, and bonnet over the pad. It's a huge time saver too. You can do all of your windows in minutes.

Rencor
09-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Yep - will never make this mistake again!
Rain X is yucky....I find anyones Quick Detail/Spray Wax does just as good and doesnt build up like Rain X

Jimmie
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Jimmie, what products doe use with your recommended method?

Mine are light blue microfiber bonnets like these:
Special Purchase Microfiber Bonnet 6 Pack, microfiber buffing bonnets (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-bonnet.html)
You can also use one to apply Rain-X.
Quick and easy compared to hand apps.

BobbyG
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Dp Glass Restorer should work, its abrasive and cleans well too.

Scott recommended this to me a couple of years ago and when I tried it I was really amazed how well this did work!

I did the windshield on my truck, which looked clean to me, and I was very surprised at the clarity once I was finished.

I used DP Glass Restorer on a White 5 1/2" flat foam pad with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher on speed 4. It took be only 10 minutes or so to give the glass a new fresh look.

Once I was through I washed it with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner, thoroughly dried it then applied a complete coat of Aquapel...

This product is very impressive, give it a try, I'm sure you'll be impressed...:props:

FUNX650
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
The most sure fire (no pun intended) way to completely remove RainX is to use naptha. Regular Zippo-type lighter fluid is naptha based. So is Coleman (or similar) camp fuel. You can also use VM&P naptha...found at most home improvement and paint supplies stores.

Naptha eliminates any RainX that has even found its way into auto glass' microscopic 'pores'.

Bob

BobbyG
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Bob,

Is Naptha available to the general public lile at a home goods center?

FUNX650
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Bob,

Is Naptha available to the general public lile at a home goods center?

In the paint section at my local Home Depot and Lowe's......VM&P naptha is available. If not, they'll order some for you. All of the paint supply and hardware stores around my area carry VM&P and "regular" naptha also.

Hope this helps.

Bob

BobbyG
09-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Yes it does Bob, thank you! :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes it does Bob, thank you! :dblthumb2:

homedepot.com/buy/paint-cleaners-thinners-removers-thinners/{klean-strip-1-qt-varnish-maker-and-painter-s-naphtha}-188888...Shop for {Klean-Strip 1 Qt. Varnish Maker and Painter's Naphtha (126683) from The Home Depot}

No online shopping (can't ship)...available only at the brick & mortars.

:)

Bob

Rencor
09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Got it off (I think)! Thanks all for your suggestions.