PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's 3 step

Ron Atchison
09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Anyone ever use The Deep Crystal Three-Step system? It consist of a body scrub, polish and a liquid carnuba which I think is probably their liquid yellow wax It can be done by either hand or ROP. I was wondering if any of the first two steps are simular to other products out there as in a prewax cleaner.

Reason for the question is I have all three and was thinking if they are simular to something else then I could go ahead and use them up verses letting them sit until I decide to pitch them. Which I hate to do as they are full bottles.

BillyJack
09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I've used both. #1 Body scrub is a mild paint cleaner, slightly stronger than the average cleaner wax. It will remove minor oxidation and swirls, but it is very mild. The #2 polish is an oil-rich gloss enhancer, a user-friendly version of the traditional #7 Show Car Glaze, very similar to Meg's #5 New Car Glaze.
Both are consumer-grade products, but good stuff.

Bill

Ron Atchison
09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks BillyJack, I've use plenty of it in the past I used to be a devoted Meg's guy until I stumbled onto this site. I haven't used any of the prewax cleaners sold by a few brands on here and was wondering if they close to these. I don't think the no.2 would be any good as it is quite greasy and wouldn't be very good before a LSP if you wanted it to stay on for any length of time. But I wasn't sure about the no.1 body scrub.

BillyJack
09-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks BillyJack, I've use plenty of it in the past I used to be a devoted Meg's guy until I stumbled onto this site. I haven't used any of the prewax cleaners sold by a few brands on here and was wondering if they close to these. I don't think the no.2 would be any good as it is quite greasy and wouldn't be very good before a LSP if you wanted it to stay on for any length of time. But I wasn't sure about the no.1 body scrub.

This question has been brought up before regarding Meg's #7, which is higher in oil content than DC #2. The simple answer from Meguiar's is that it does not affect the LSP.

Bill

Mike Phillips
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Just to chime in...

The Body Scrub was in fact a very good paint cleaner but it has been discontinued along with the Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner.

Part of the reason the Step 1 Paint Cleaner was discontinued was due to the introduction of all the other pre-wax products,

Ultimate Compound
ScratchX
Ultimate Polish
SwirlX
Ultimate Polish
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound

So there's no need for the Step 1 Paint Cleaner. The Polish is a non-abrasive pure polish more similar to #7 than #5 as #5 dries fast and dries white and powdery.

The Step 3 Carnauba Wax is a consumer version of the M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax. It is a "finishing wax" with no cleaners or abrasives and should only be applied to paint in excellent condition.

:)

Ron Atchison
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks Mike I may have to hang on to it. There may be a use for it someday but now that i have the Wolfgang twins doubtful.

timaishu
09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Just to chime in...

The Body Scrub was in fact a very good paint cleaner but it has been discontinued along with the Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner.

Part of the reason the Step 1 Paint Cleaner was discontinued was due to the introduction of all the other pre-wax products,

Ultimate Compound
ScratchX
Ultimate Polish
SwirlX
Ultimate Polish
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound

So there's no need for the Step 1 Paint Cleaner. The Polish is a non-abrasive pure polish more similar to #7 than #5 as #5 dries fast and dries white and powdery.

The Step 3 Carnauba Wax is a consumer version of the M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax. It is a "finishing wax" with no cleaners or abrasives and should only be applied to paint in excellent condition.

:)

Question Mike. What is the purpose of the rubbing/polishing compound? Is it a paste alternative to say Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish?