PDA

View Full Version : What makes paint sealant cure?

Rav777
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I was just wondering what the requirements to make paint sealant cure are.

Does paint sealant cure quicker if you leave it in the sun once wiped off or is it best to leave it in a shaded garage?

Setec Astronomy
09-11-2011, 07:23 PM
That part really doesn't matter. Try to keep it dry for 12 hours after. Shouldn't be too much of a problem in SD.

Rav777
09-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just figured that if I left it out in the sun it would cure quicker. I dont like kepping customers cars overnight but I might just wake up butt early to apply sealant and wait 8-12 hours so I will be applying a final wax almost at the end of the day.

shoeless89
09-12-2011, 01:20 PM
If I was doing a customers car I would offer wax or sealant and explain them what needs to be done about keeping the car dry if they pick sealant. I would only do wax and sealant on special jobs

Rav777
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
If I was doing a customers car I would offer wax or sealant and explain them what needs to be done about keeping the car dry if they pick sealant. I would only do wax and sealant on special jobs

This will be a full correction (exterior, interior and engine) on a Cadillac CTS-V. This customer is a really high end customer, at least for me so I just wanted to add a coat of wax on top of sealant only to give them a wow factor and a big thank you.

If I dont have time to add the wax I am thinking of just doing it the week after the full correction since they are weekly customers.

Are there any sealants that have shorter curing times?

IOMCAMARO
09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Blackfire Wet Diamond has a shorter cure time if I'm not mistaken. It has Polycharger in it. I still think you have to wait 8 hours.

shoeless89
09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't know about shorter cure times other then Black Fire

wildjyoung
09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Typically oxygen causes a paint sealant to cure.

TroyScherer
09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
If you want to do a coat of sealant and wax I would use your choice of wax and then top it with Opt Opti-Seal. Opti-Seal will actually work its way below the wax leaving the 2 layers of protection.

Rav777
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Blackfire Wet Diamond has a shorter cure time if I'm not mistaken. It has Polycharger in it. I still think you have to wait 8 hours.

I just ordered some too but I dont think it will come in on time. It would of been like $30 bucks for 3 day shipping as well since I am on the west coast. I think I will add Wet Diamond once this sealant starts to run its course.

I don't know about shorter cure times other then Black Fire
Cool, I cant wait to try the Blackfire line! Seems like I will be happy with the line.

If you want to do a coat of sealant and wax I would use your choice of wax and then top it with Opt Opti-Seal. Opti-Seal will actually work its way below the wax leaving the 2 layers of protection.

I have Poli-Seal but I dont think it will work like Opti-seal. However, I have heard that Poli-seal does have a faster curing time as well. Wonder if that is true.

FUNX650
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Typically oxygen causes a paint sealant to cure.

Oxygen is one type of catalyst...each sealant manufacturer
I'm sure utilizes different ones. Sometimes depends on the type of sealant, I imagine. Polyurethane and acrylic sealants comes to mind.

There's also curing agents...might be hard to get what they are from the manufacturers though.

Just follow Setech Astronomy's words of wisdom:

"That part really doesn't matter. Try to keep it dry for 12 hours"

Do that......and you'll be alright!

Bob