PDA

View Full Version : How does Griot's rate - Retail Products

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I ask because while browsing in Autozone this weekend, I came across a display in the rear of the store that had a bunch of their stuff and I had never seen anything worth grabbing outside of the usual Mothers and Megs products.

I don't "need" anything right now (save what is on my AG wishlist/cart), but if there were anything Griot's that is worth having out of convienience, what is worth grabbing??

PS - Spray bottle products, no pads etc.

BobbyG
09-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Griot's makes some nice products and has been in business for quite some time. I've used several of their products and just got a shipment from Autogeek with a few in it!

Mother's is a another brand that doesn't receive the notoriety that is due. Many of Mother's products will hold their own against the best of them. When I was just starting out Mother's wax was one of the most sort after waxes amongst car enthusiasts..

courtdale
09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Griot's makes some nice products and has been in business for quite some time. I've used several of their products and just got a shipment from Autogeek with a few in it!

Mother's is a another brand that doesn't receive the notoriety that is due. Many of Mother's products will hold their own against the best of them. When I was just starting out Mother's wax was one of the most sort after waxes amongst car enthusiasts..

Thanks Bobby. I own my share of Mother's and Meg's. I plan on filling 99% of my needs through AG, but nothing beats instant gratification when out and about ;) Going to grab at least one bottle of something next time I run through, but pulling the trigger on my next AG order is an itch I may need to scratch sooner than later.

BillyJack
09-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I've used a few Griot's products.
Their Spray-Shine detailer works well. It shines well, cleans well, and has good lubricity while easily wiping clean without streaks. The waterless wash, however, is nowhere near as easy to use as Optimum Opti-Clean IMO. GG WW has good lubricity, but takes forever to wipe streak-free in cooler or humid conditions.
Spray-On wax is a decent booster, designed to be used while drying. It's easy to use and wipes dry well without streaking.
Their One-Step Sealant is very good mild cleaner with decent durability. It has become my current go-to cleaner wax.
GG HD Wheel Cleaner has gotten great reviews here, but I haven't yet tried it myself. Their standard wheel cleaner is very mild for sensitive wheels, but ineffective on a neglected wheel.
Finally, GG Best-of-Show wax, their signature wax, though well thought of here, didn't impress me a lot. Maybe it's just my old, tired eyes, but Collinite 845 or Dodo Juice looked every bit as good to me, and were easier to work with on my paint.

There ya go. Good stuff and very reasonably priced, but no one company has absolutely the hands-down winner in every product category. If someone ever did, our lives would be a lot easier and cheaper!

Bill

rwright
09-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Not sure what our options are so I'll list what I like:

Soap
Speed Shine
Spray On Wax
Pre-Wax Cleaner
Rubber Cleaner
Interior Cleaner

I have a lot more of their products to try, but what I have tried for the most part I have liked. Both wheel cleaners are good for light duty cleaning but with a BMW I would go with P21S Gel. The Fine Hand Polish is great to use after using clay to clean up marring.

FUNX650
09-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I ask because while browsing in Autozone this weekend, I came across a display in the rear of the store that had a bunch of their stuff and I had never seen anything worth grabbing outside of the usual Mothers and Megs products.

I don't "need" anything right now (save what is on my AG wishlist/cart), but if there were anything Griot's that is worth having out of convienience, what is worth grabbing??

PS - Spray bottle products, no pads etc.

IMHO....All of Griot's Garage offerings are top-notch products...all are worthy of having out of convenience.

Some worth grabbing right away: They don't "make" the clay they sell, but, it is one of the best I've ever used. They have some real nice 100% cotton towels.

I understand your saying: I don't "need" anything right now. But it still wouldn't hurt to take a gander at their polishes, and Best of Show wax, among others. :)

Cost-wise: One can do some comparison shopping between Griot's Garage products and other
manufacturers'/suppliers'/resellers' products, if that is a factor in determining their selection(s).

Bob

dtuna42
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
IMHO....All of Griot's Garage offerings are top-notch products...
Some worth grabbing right away: They don't "make" the clay they sell, but, it is one of the best I've ever used.....
Bob

(above quote edited for space)---> Question: Who does make their clay?

CaneCharger
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM

:postpics:

HAHAHA

FUNX650
09-11-2011, 08:13 PM
(above quote edited for space)---> Question: Who does make their clay?

The following may shed some light on your question.

Exerpted from:autopiaforums.com/archives

There are only a couple manufactures of auto clay, and patents protect the technology, with some subtle differences.

In the United States, Auto Wax Company Inc., now owned by Illinois Tool Works Inc., owns the US patent rights: No. 5,727,993. Auto Wax owns six patents relating to clay products and provides private label clay to many of the detail industry’s leading companies: Clay Magic and Auto Magic.

As a result, all of "their" clay that's manufactured now comes from Japan, which as the only patent holder has a monopoly on the market. Meguiar's, Mothers, Zaino, etc., get their clay either from Japan's Source Chem. Inc., or from a US licensed manufacturer.

But the formulation can vary significantly, mainly;
1. Density
2. Plasticity
2. Different types/quality of abrasives
3. Color
4. Size
5. Packaging

I suggest that Mr Griot has requested that the clay he sells have some of the above deviations from the norm.

Bob

Belair
09-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I just ordered some pre-wax cleanser.

embolism
09-11-2011, 08:32 PM
some ppl have had issues with their best of show wax

never used it myself. No inclination to try it after reading those posts though...

Jimmie
09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
My wheels(all cars) are kept fairly clean. They are chrome. I didn't need any more wheels cleaners that I could let dwell to take off the tough stuff so I tried their Chrome Wheel Cleaner. I't's perfect for what I'm doing.

zmanz
09-11-2011, 10:32 PM
some ppl have had issues with their best of show wax

never used it myself. No inclination to try it after reading those posts though...

I had a bottle, but threw it away. If you don't do the application just right it is a nightmare to remove.

Irontree
09-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Check out the microfiber they sell. Much better than most of the OTC stuff you can buy at Autozone or Advance. The WW towel is nice but pricey.

Gunslinger
09-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Griot's products are my "go to" car care products...plus a few other brands, depending on the use. Griot's stuff is uniformly excellent, but there are so many outstanding products on the market, it's difficult to pick one brand as absolutely the best.

Whatever you're happy with is what's best.