PDA

View Full Version : Help with swirls!

masonjb
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a 2007 Civic Si,and it is black. I spent about 8 hours a few weeks ago with my new Flex 3401 getting it to look good as new, or maybe even better then new. I used Pinnacle Natural Brilliance advanced swirl remover, then advanced finishing polish and finished up with the liquid souveran wax. All was good til friday when it was time to wash, my wife washes it using Meguiars gold class car wash and dried with MF cloths. It was getting dark out as I was finishing up mowing the yard and she finished the car so I thought "well it still looks good". Then Saturday morning came, we were headed up to Knoxville to watch the VOLS beat the Bearcats of Cincinatti. I backed the car out of the garage and that morning sun hit it and I was SICK!! It looked awful!! More swirls then I had ever seen and I have no idea why this happened and now what do I do now???? HELP!! I really don't want to spend another 8 hours already to fix this problem just to have it happen again and again.....

Feed back please

Kristopher1129
09-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Something must have gone wrong during the washing. Cause they don't come back THAT fast.

masonjb
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
That is the only thing I could think of....but I don't know what went wrong because I'm telling you it never looked this bad from swirls (spider webbing) even after it went through a car wash before it wasn't this bad....

ChrisGT
09-11-2011, 12:13 PM
That sucks! I'm thinking improper wash/dry techniques by the wife. Dirt from mowing the yard may have landed on the paint before she went to dry it with MF towels. That can be disastrous.

ROMEO
09-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Did you do a IPA before applying liquid souveran wax? Maybe the polishes were filling in the swirls and they were not noticeable before? :confused:

Also, what did you used to wash it? Sea foam? Microfiber??? 2 buckets? Grill on the bucket/s?

Has your car been repainted? Original paint?

dtuna42
09-11-2011, 12:45 PM
she dropped the sponge on the driveway and kept washing (even if it's not true, it gets you off the hook when you blame her).

masonjb
09-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Did you do a IPA before applying liquid souveran wax? Maybe the polishes were filling in the swirls and they were not noticeable before? :confused:

Also, what did you used to wash it? Sea foam? Microfiber??? 2 buckets? Grill on the bucket/s?

Has your car been repainted? Original paint?

What is IPA?? Used a Meguiars mit to wash.

masonjb
09-11-2011, 12:53 PM
It is original paint.... and for the mowing I don't think that had anything to do with it...I have 4 acres and was far away from where car was. I am just saying she did something now what do I do to correct it? I have some Pinnacle XMT will that correct it without having to do the 3 steps again? Or is there a better quicker way?

Thanks for suggestions and info!

Midnight1700
09-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Mason, what was your exact process in cleaning, polishing, and protecting? What pads did you use with each step? I'm thinking you may not have corrected as much of the swirls as intended and doing the LSP in poor lighting may have given you illusion of it being perfect. I can't see that a single washing would induce a huge amount of swirls. It will do some, but not to the extent you're describing. Can you provide any Pics?

ROMEO
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
CLICK HERE (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/40688-ipa-wipe-down.html) for IPA info.

masonjb
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Used the CCS orange pad for swirl remover, CCS white for the polish, and CCS blue for wax

BobbyG
09-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Lets do a test spot and go from there.

Wash and dry the hood
Inspect and photograph the area you're about to redo
Ensure that these are really swirls
Mask 1/4 of the hood
Use Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover with a White foam pad on a speed 5. Do 4 sectional passes then inspect. If the swirls are still there switch to an Orange pad and repeat.
Use Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a White foam pad on a speed 5. Do 4 sectional passes then inspect. You can bump up the gloss a bit by repeating this with a gray pad.
Thoroughly wash the area with a solution of Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and mix according to the directions.
Remove the tape and compare the before and after

If these are indeed swirls then they were only masked or hidden and washing removed what ever was hiding them making them visible...