PDA

View Full Version : California duster?

lkotsios
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Are these good to use on fine paint or am I asking for trouble?

BobbyG
09-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Some will caution against them however if you use them for light dust only and don't apply pressure they work quite well. I used one on my Z06 before going out yesterday afternoon and again, it worked great...:props:

Three important words...Read the intructions

Rspratt48
09-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Are these good to use on fine paint or am I asking for trouble?

I will never use it on a black car again. Even applying the light touch, I put little scratch marks on the finish.

andrew b
09-11-2011, 07:28 AM
I've used one for years on dark blue and black cars.

As BobbyG says, don't press too hard - just let the fabric lightly glide over the paint. And yes - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Also, when new you will see light streaks after using it - this is excess wax transfer from the duster to the car, and buff/wipe right off. The transfer stops after you've used the duster for a while and th ewax on the fabric settles in.

BobbyG
09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
I've used one for years on dark blue and black cars.

As BobbyG says, don't press too hard - just let the fabric lightly glide over the paint. And yes - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Also, when new you will see light streaks after using it - this is excess wax transfer from the duster to the car, and buff/wipe right off. The transfer stops after you've used the duster for a while and th ewax on the fabric settles in.

:welcome: To Autogeek Online Andrew!!

budinsc
09-11-2011, 08:14 AM
again, listen to bobby. i use one on my wifes black mb properly and never see micros. sometimes ill use megs detail spray to finish up on tight small places.

budinsc

CleanGene
09-11-2011, 08:24 AM
California Car Duster is great! I use it to maintain two black daily drivers. Don't know how I ever did it without one.

hoyt66
09-11-2011, 08:27 AM
I use it on my black Fusion. I will admit I'm a little rough with it. I have plenty of paint

protection and again, on my dd Ford Fusion. If it were my Sunday driver (of which I don't

have yet) I would be a little more careful.

david79z28
09-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I use one on my vehicles. I hold the head above the paint and use it so the ends of the strands barely touch the paint. Don't ever set the entire head on the paint.

If there is so much dust it cannot easily be removed this way I wash the vehicle...

truckbutt
09-11-2011, 12:46 PM
One in my trunk all the time. Works well on my black Mustang. No scratching.

CleanGene
09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah. It's a great tool when used properly. I never let the mop head touch the surface. I only allow the strands to remove what they can and then follow up with a QD. Works like a charm.

mswerb
09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I've had one for years and LOVE it.

andrew b
09-12-2011, 09:35 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Andrew!!

Thanks BobbyG! I'm a long-time customer of Autogeek, and also have been known to hang out on some of the other detailing forums (another user name I have from the past is hook).

Glad to be here - will be posting more soon and will do an introcution when I have my new ride ready for photos....

best,
Andrew