PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz ??

Gungho_15
09-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I read a thread late last night where the op used CQUARTZ. I ended up reading and googling the product for almost 6 hours. After all the reading I am truly unsure about the product. I could not really find anything definitive about it. It sounds like a great product, but is it worth all the hype? Is it that much better than a regular sealant and LSP?

When should this product be used is my question? I have detailed some cars that turn out fantastic, but the customer abuses it and it looks like s**t 3 months later. Is this a product that cures problems like that?

Maybe dumb questions, but I am really curious about this product. I live on the West Coast of Canada so a durable product would definitely be beneficial. I was about to purchase Collinite and then saw this product.

Thanks in advance for your responses and feedback.

TroyScherer
09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
CQ is a newer glass coating. It seems more resistant to scratches and swirls than normal sealants. It is suppose to last approx. 2 years with proper maintenance. I have it one my wife's car now and am testing the durability and other properties it promises. It has been on for almost 6 months and is still going strong. I do believe with proper maintenance it will last 2 years. One of the characteristics I like about it is the way it releases dirt and sheds water. These 2 properties make washing much better and easier. It also is what help in reducing the swillers and scratches. (Less touching and less pressure needed to remove dirt.)

It is no way a cure all for customers or people who treat their car badly though. In the end CQ is just like any other LSP as it is a sacrificial barrier for the paint. Also I would recommend the paint be defect free before applying CQ as it is a coating and will not fill or hide defects.

FUNX650
09-10-2011, 07:16 PM
CQ is a newer glass coating. It seems more resistant to scratches and swirls than normal sealants. It is suppose to last approx. 2 years with proper maintenance. I have it one my wife's car now and am testing the durability and other properties it promises. It has been on for almost 6 months and is still going strong. I do believe with proper maintenance it will last 2 years. One of the characteristics I like about it is the way it releases dirt and sheds water. These 2 properties make washing much better and easier. It also is what help in reducing the swillers and scratches. (Less touching and less pressure needed to remove dirt.)

It is no way a cure all for customers or people who treat their car badly though. In the end CQ is just like any other LSP as it is a sacrificial barrier for the paint. Also I would recommend the paint be defect free before applying CQ as it is a coating and will not fill or hide defects.

You made some very good points here....Thanks for the info Troy.

:)

Bob

Old Tiger
09-10-2011, 07:58 PM
What Troy said! Opti Coat is more durable than the Ceramics from what Ive read and seen to date. It is trickier but when you get the hang of it , a very little goes a long way.

highgrade
09-10-2011, 08:18 PM
What Troy said! Opti Coat is more durable than the Ceramics from what Ive read and seen to date. It is trickier but when you get the hang of it , a very little goes a long way.
From what I have read on the AG forum is if a section gets a scratch or chip, it compromises the Opti-coat coating and the fix is to strip the section and redo it opposed to just redoing the the scratch or chip w/ cQuartz. As a result of what I have read, I'm not committed to trying opti-coat on my car or others (even though many rave about it)...in fact, it has me thinking cQuartz is the way to go. Then again, I think for each there are specific goals for each person. I only work on daily driver vehicles and most owners are not interested in high dollar products. They want long lasting protection on the cheap...at least the people I talk to. For me the jury is out on which of these I should be trying on my own cars.

TroyScherer
09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Just to add a little more to the table. One of the big things to consider for some is the cost (initial and overall). In my opinion and based on cost the initial cost Opti-Coat is the best value of the coating out right now. True you make have to compound a panel if you get a chip or scratch but the chances are you are going to want to fix it anyway. Also since its first release I believe Chris@Optimum has said that you would not need to fully remove the OC but simply scuff it in preparation for another coat. OC is a "more" permanent coat where as CQ, C1, Permanon, Element 119, Nanolex are what I would consider "super" sealants. Being that they last a long time but will need to be re-applied in the future to continue to protect. This makes their overall cost higher in the end.

Gungho_15
09-12-2011, 02:13 AM
From what I have read on the AG forum is if a section gets a scratch or chip, it compromises the Opti-coat coating and the fix is to strip the section and redo it opposed to just redoing the the scratch or chip w/ cQuartz. As a result of what I have read, I'm not committed to trying opti-coat on my car or others (even though many rave about it)...in fact, it has me thinking cQuartz is the way to go. Then again, I think for each there are specific goals for each person. I only work on daily driver vehicles and most owners are not interested in high dollar products. They want long lasting protection on the cheap...at least the people I talk to. For me the jury is out on which of these I should be trying on my own cars.

Wow, that makes me really not want to use this product or anything like it. It sounds to me like its an extra clear that doesn't like to get chipped or scratched. Unfortunately, it was going to be used as a winter wax and sand mixed with salt gets used on our roads. Front end chips are per the norm. I really don't want to be re-doing panels every time a chip occurs. Product sounds like a pain in the a** unless you don't drive your car. Unless I am not seeing the entire picture here?

richy
09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow, that makes me really not want to use this product or anything like it. It sounds to me like its an extra clear that doesn't like to get chipped or scratched. Unfortunately, it was going to be used as a winter wax and sand mixed with salt gets used on our roads. Front end chips are per the norm. I really don't want to be re-doing panels every time a chip occurs. Product sounds like a pain in the a** unless you don't drive your car. Unless I am not seeing the entire picture here?

I have CQ on my 2011 MKX. It gets stone chips from driving on the highway. It's not a big deal. Obviously the CQ is knocked off along with the chip, so you just fill the area, level it if you want to, and then re-apply in that small area. Very fast process.

highgrade
09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
my comment about opti-coat comes from here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_s
Hey Chris,

My biggest concern with Opti-coat is the need to completely remove the coating if I need to fix a section. God knows that my cars are constantly pelted with SoCal freeway debris. Not a big issue with waxes or sealants for a buck or two but I would love some true body armour. Do I misunderstand the issue?
While we do recommend recoating an entire section instead of spot repairs, you don't have to remove coating. You just need to go over it with a polish to "scuff" it so that the second layer will stick.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/40659-does-opti-coat-protect-against-swirls-chips-3.html#post534463
I do want to try one of these products. Bottom line at the moment comes down to
1. cost
2. ease of use
3. durability
I want my cars to make it through the winter and survive the onslaught of magnesium chloride. If a decent poly-seal with collinite 845 will do the job then all is good.

Rei86
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
look at all the reviews and long term test.

By pros and weekenders Opti-Coat will not protect the car from a stone chip and still gets swirls. OPT states that the coating is stronger than clear coat but it still gets swirls and chips. If you want a almost truly permanent "coating" get yourself a wrap/clear film on the car. But you'll still get some pitting and issues after you take the film off.

So what's the real benefit of OC 2.0? IMO its not having to keep the car up to date all the damn time, sheeting action of OC, the ability to shed dirt/bird bomb/etc etc easier, and just a nice looking car overall. The durability is what really sold me and having the car look good as new (google search ScottWax mom's Lexus and you'll see what I mean).

Seriously if you want to stop the car from getting scratches and rock chips get a clear bra.

Gungho_15
10-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I ended up purchasing Cquartz and Reload. I am getting ready to use both products but have a question.

I realize you do all the normal prep work as you were applying an LSP, but do you use a sealant prior to applying Cquartz? The reason i ask this is I thought I read somewhere that you should use IPA wipe down before you apply it. Doesn't that strip the sealant? Did I read incorrectly?

richy
10-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I ended up purchasing Cquartz and Reload. I am getting ready to use both products but have a question.

I realize you do all the normal prep work as you were applying an LSP, but do you use a sealant prior to applying Cquartz? The reason i ask this is I thought I read somewhere that you should use IPA wipe down before you apply it. Doesn't that strip the sealant? Did I read incorrectly?

No, no and no. It must be put on squeaky clean paint. Use Eraser or ISP to clean the paint just prior to application. Or use an IPA/Dawn mix but rinse well afterward. Squeaky clean: that's the key.

Gungho_15
10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
So what your saying is that M105, M205, IPA/DAWN, Cquartz?

richy
10-14-2011, 07:03 PM
So what your saying is that M105, M205, IPA/DAWN, Cquartz?

To follow my above format: yes, yes and yes.

Gungho_15
10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
To follow my above format: yes, yes and yes.

cool, thanks for your feedback. I just spent over a grand on products and am not really keen on buying more right now.