PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Static QD?

Pages : [1] 2

big tyme
09-10-2011, 03:03 PM
So I'm sick and tired of this AZ dust clinging to my cars. It's easy enough to use the duster or QD before a trip but this tends to get annoying (to my wife anyways,lol). Is there any QD's that have Anti-Static properties that work? What would be the best choice and how long would the product actually last? I've researched this topic but couldn't really find good user testimony. Thanks.

davidc
09-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't think a QD will solve your problem. It is the environment we live in, with little if any moisture in the air around here it tends to be a dusty place.

Dave

loudog2
09-10-2011, 03:11 PM
FK claims theirs is. Mostly anything that is slick will help. FK works, so does XMT final finish and CG sythetic QD.

New Image
09-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I like FK #425

2kredbb6
09-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Fk #425

rider9195
09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
FK425 will help.

ScottB
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I think 146 from FinishKare does also ...its a bit more crisp and reflective over 425.

Garry Dean
09-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Why don't you try using a cloth baby diaper instead of a microfiber towel to remove the qd with? It shouldn't create the static charge that you get with a microfiber.

omgitselaine
09-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I have to concur with everyone regarding FK 425 !! I recently got the 128 oz bottle ........ luuuv it that much !!

FUNX650
09-10-2011, 11:02 PM
LINK REMOVED : SEARCH GRIOTS GARAGE

{Sorry for the above link, I couldn't find these towels in the AGO store...remove if deemed necessary}

100% Cotton Buffing Cloths, Set of 10
Diapers Are For Poo-Poo Only! Soft, All Cotton Cloths For A Safer Way To Remove Wax & Polish
Surprise! There is polyester in your "100% Cotton" diapers! Where? The two seams running through the middle and the outside binding are made of a polyester based thread! I've always stayed away from diapers because polyester can scratch your paint. Diapers are great for babies, but I have a better solution. Our Buffing Cloths are truly 100% Cotton. The cotton is woven from much longer yarns, making them softer and practically lint-free. With no stitching running through the middle, they are bound with 100% cotton thread. Be assured this is the finest cotton cloth available to remove polish and wax from your paint. Perfect for use with Speed Shine®, too. The 19" x 19" size is perfect for folding into quarters and buffing out wax for better clarity. Machine washable so they are kind to the environment and your wallet, too! Comes to you in a nice set of ten.

Speed Shine:
Griot's Garage Speed Shine Detailer is a quick detailer and spray and wipe cleaner for speedy detailing any time. Remove dust, fingerprints, and light dirt to maintain a clean, brilliant shine between washes. Griot's Garage Speed Shine Detailer is the easiest way to clean and shine auto paint!

I use these for:

1.) Mike Phillips' "Final Wipe" process...seems like there is less 'static-cling' imparted.

2.) With QD of ones choice. For what's underlined above.

When using a QD and towel of choice for 'wiping down' purposes (IMO, regardless what you use) there is a very good chance that some level of "scratching" may occur.

Note: There are 100% cotton baby diapers out there, hard to find, though. Babies 'R' Us used to carry them. Macy's also.

Bob :)

FUNX650
09-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Just remembered....I also like the type of 'cloth' that was used to 'wash' the car in the movie..."Cool Hand Luke" :D

Bob

silverfox
09-11-2011, 05:18 AM
The only way to repel anything from the surface of the paint requires a chemical product that has the same electrical charge as the dust/dirt,etc (like poles appose each other like 2 magnets will if you place them with like poles together). Silica is one such substance that has the same electrical charge as the dust/dirt and to my knowledge there are two common car care products that are silica based...carpro's reload and permanon.

Just having a "slick" surface does not repel anything. It may help aerodynamically for an hour or two while air is blowing over the surface, but claiming to repel dust...is marketing baloney for most car care products.

Audi Rick
09-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Dust still sticks to 425. Don't expect any miracles with this product. At this moment dust is collecting on the bottle.

Munich77
09-11-2011, 02:48 PM
FK 425 has some anti-static properties. While I have seen it work here in the DC area in the spring it was not totally anti-static - rather than having all of the pollen stick it was just sticking in certain areas.

CleanGene
09-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I use FK425 and so far it has worked well for me in conjunction with California Car Duster when used daily. Here in the south, if you allow dust to dwell on the vehicle overnight, humidity and dew will make it stick. I don't think there's a product out there that will prevent dust from settling on the flat surfaces of a vehicle. You just have to get into a routine of removing it before it bonds.