PDA

View Full Version : Ford Five Hundred to become ‘Taurus’

Pages : [1] 2

dengood1
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Ford Five Hundred to become 'Taurus' - Automotive - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17003763/)

Interesting....I don't think I've ever seen a car "renamed" and brought a retired name back to boot. Thought it was odd they discontinued one of their best selling cars anyhow.

bambo2888
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
ya, that will probably be a good call for Ford. I remember a few months ago when the last Taurus was made, the founder of KrispyKreme bought it. he said that Ford contributed to his company growing because the first KrispyKreme stood right outside the Ford Factory in Detroit. All the workers used to eat his donuts. lol.

dengood1
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I remember that too.....the guy looked like he was as old as dirt:p Bet he was;)

abrcrombe
02-06-2007, 11:23 AM
... Down here the taurus isn't really well taken.The 500 is a very basic car... I think they need to make it not so RENTAL car like instead of changing the name. I think they have a winner with the Fusion. :)

bambo2888
02-06-2007, 11:35 AM
... Down here the taurus isn't really well taken.The 500 is a very basic car... I think they need to make it not so RENTAL car like instead of changing the name. I think they have a winner with the Fusion. :)

i personally dont like either one. rather have a TL :righton:

Lone_Star
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Actually it was the founder of Chick-fil-a, down in Atlanta. That is where the taurus was built. And Krispy Kreme was founded somewhere I believe in the Carolina's. I do find this interesting though to let a name be retired, do just rebadge another car with the Taurus name.

dengood1
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I guess this is what happens after your biggest loss in company history. Instead of coming up with a new car, you just rename the ones you already are making. Next, the Fusion will become the Fairlane, the F150 will become the Tempo, and the Focus will be the Thunderbird;)

abrcrombe
02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
LOL not my thunderbird!! :)

Ford needs some help getting into the right direction. GM is taking steps towards the right direction.

Jimmie
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Actually it was the founder of Chick-fil-a, down in Atlanta. That is where the taurus was built. And Krispy Kreme was founded somewhere I believe in the Carolina's. I do find this interesting though to let a name be retired, do just rebadge another car with the Taurus name.

Is the "Chick-fil-a" the landmark they call the Big Chicken in Atlanta?
After the loss that Ford posted they better come up with a winner.

Surfer
02-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Ford needs younger guys running it, not bean counters that give us borring crap. And the Ford 500 is a flop b/c, well who wants one when they can grab a V8 Chrysler 300 in its class. They just also auctioned off Aston Martin, guess who won. Louis Vuitton lol, though Ford still will have a 15% stake.

GM and Ford are in this position (besides cost of pensions which are killing them) b/c they don't offer vehicles that are exciting or wanted, besides their trucks or the Vette and Stang. GM gets everyone happy their bringing over a version of the Monaro etc, what do we get, an ungly overgrown Cavalier (no offense to owners). Ford gives us the Fusion, great, and calls it a sport compact sedan, yet it only offers a automatic with the 6 cylinder boooooooring, even the Accord still offers a 6 speed. Reminds of Lexus with their IS, were gonna top BMW, so they give great performance with the new model, and stick it with only an auto, sorry, the BMW could be slower for all I care and I'd still buy it b/c it offered a manual trans.

What Ford needs to do is bring over their FPV line from Aussie land, and GM needs to bring the sedan version of the Monaro's but with the agressive styling. Ford offers some ripping cars over there, but not here, their own home turf, go figure. Fords GT and GT-P sedans there offer manual trans and versions of the last gen Cobra R 5.4 V8, I would love a car like that. If you don't know what I'm talking about:
Ford Performance Vehicles (http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx)

abrcrombe
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
But surfer... you are a different breed. You think a Viper would be a nice DD? Most people would break they back driving it and getting in and out. Plus you are a 24, and the people who can AFFORD those cars are definitely not as limber as you. Most people want a NICE car that is comfortable, has some power, FUEL ECONOMY, and is reliable. I believe a lot of people WANT to buy american cars and try to help them out, but they aren't offering anything WORTH buying. Even the trucks from the asians are getting a lot nicer. Unfortunately, people are going for value right now, and with these huge discounts the americans are giving, I think they are going about it the wrong way. That screws resale value, and people today trade cars like CLOTHING!! America is messed up with taking care of their possessions... something is broken throw it out and buy a new one. Also, most peopel drive AUTO here, so they are just making cars for the MAINSTREAM.

bambo2888
02-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Ford needs younger guys running it, not bean counters that give us borring crap. And the Ford 500 is a flop b/c, well who wants one when they can grab a V8 Chrysler 300 in its class. They just also auctioned off Aston Martin, guess who won. Louis Vuitton lol, though Ford still will have a 15% stake.

GM and Ford are in this position (besides cost of pensions which are killing them) b/c they don't offer vehicles that are exciting or wanted, besides their trucks or the Vette and Stang. GM gets everyone happy their bringing over a version of the Monaro etc, what do we get, an ungly overgrown Cavalier (no offense to owners). Ford gives us the Fusion, great, and calls it a sport compact sedan, yet it only offers a automatic with the 6 cylinder boooooooring, even the Accord still offers a 6 speed. Reminds of Lexus with their IS, were gonna top BMW, so they give great performance with the new model, and stick it with only an auto, sorry, the BMW could be slower for all I care and I'd still buy it b/c it offered a manual trans.

What Ford needs to do is bring over their FPV line from Aussie land, and GM needs to bring the sedan version of the Monaro's but with the agressive styling. Ford offers some ripping cars over there, but not here, their own home turf, go figure. Fords GT and GT-P sedans there offer manual trans and versions of the last gen Cobra R 5.4 V8, I would love a car like that. If you don't know what I'm talking about:
Ford Performance Vehicles (http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx)

I 100% agree

Nuke33
02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
American car companys suck... They do all the wrong things... I dont like them

Surfer
02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
But surfer... you are a different breed. You think a Viper would be a nice DD? Most people would break they back driving it and getting in and out. Plus you are a 24, and the people who can AFFORD those cars are definitely not as limber as you. Most people want a NICE car that is comfortable, has some power, FUEL ECONOMY, and is reliable. I believe a lot of people WANT to buy american cars and try to help them out, but they aren't offering anything WORTH buying. Even the trucks from the asians are getting a lot nicer. Unfortunately, people are going for value right now, and with these huge discounts the americans are giving, I think they are going about it the wrong way. That screws resale value, and people today trade cars like CLOTHING!! America is messed up with taking care of their possessions... something is broken throw it out and buy a new one. Also, most peopel drive AUTO here, so they are just making cars for the MAINSTREAM.Well ya kinda took what I meat a little different but then got back to the point. Look at the Towncar, older people still buy it b/c its a large, rwd, V8 American sedan that's very spacious. Most could easily afford any Lex, or Benz etc, but they don't (or they do in addition do).

When Ford has the 500, nobody wants it, you can tell by sales. Why buy it when you can get a better looking, driving, performing sedan with V8 (Chrylser 300).

And yes resale is horrible b/c of the discounts American autos have, that's why lease rates are horrible on them as well.

At least GM is doing a great job with Caddy, their CTS, they nailed that niche. People wanted a sport yet comfortable sedan, and they nailed it. And they gave it options of auto and manual trans with the V6 versions, and then came out with the V series only available in manual trans form. I just saw the new 08' model online and it looks mean, little edgier witha sweet interior, and if the rumors of the next V are true (LS7 engine) that car will stomp on the E60 M5. That's the big difference, Caddy gave their buyers exactly what they wanted and even kept the bloated DTS for the older Towncar type buyers. Now GM needs to apply that concept to the rest of their brands, and Ford needs to take a hint.

But surfer... you are a different breed. You think a Viper would be a nice DD?Hehe, I was raised differently around cars, I'll daily drive a Cobra replica and could careless lol. Friend just drove their ACR Viper down from Kentucky, which has a Moton racing suspension, that's what, 1300 miles? Most people wouldn't last 30 minutes, yet we do lol.

bambo2888
02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
But surfer... you are a different breed. You think a Viper would be a nice DD? Most people would break they back driving it and getting in and out. Plus you are a 24, and the people who can AFFORD those cars are definitely not as limber as you. Most people want a NICE car that is comfortable, has some power, FUEL ECONOMY, and is reliable. I believe a lot of people WANT to buy american cars and try to help them out, but they aren't offering anything WORTH buying. Even the trucks from the asians are getting a lot nicer. Unfortunately, people are going for value right now, and with these huge discounts the americans are giving, I think they are going about it the wrong way. That screws resale value, and people today trade cars like CLOTHING!! America is messed up with taking care of their possessions... something is broken throw it out and buy a new one. Also, most peopel drive AUTO here, so they are just making cars for the MAINSTREAM.

He didn't say anything about using a supercar as a dd. He's right. Why did Ford make the 500? To enter the full size market? They should either just stick with the crown vic or stay out, or design something that it remotely appealing. Why would anyone in their right mind choose a 500 over a v8 300c? The fusion, as i see it, is a half-hit. why buy the fusion when you can get a v6 accord? not only will the honda last WAY longer, but teh quality of the materials used in production are superior to the plastic #### that plagues the majority of american CARs (Notice i didnt say trucks).

I'm sorry if you disagree, but surfer is right. you dont make a "sport sedan" in auto and give it 220 horsepower. you get what you pay for. if you pay 18K for a sport sedan and expect to get everything that sport sedan encompasses, you will be severely let down. same thing with the 500. would you want to pay 29K for a 500 with 203 hp, which btw is less than the smaller fusion, or pay 31K for a new acura tl with over 270hp?

be smart here guys.