PDA

View Full Version : First Time Poster - Optimum II Compound or Polish???

Eaton
09-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Hello AutoGeeksters!

I'm new the forum and detailing my first car today (White Honda Pilot 2008) and need your input whether to start with Optimum II Polish or Compound. I washed, dried and clayed the car last night and this a.m. (using Griot's Clay and Speed Shine) and am now ready to start polishing.

Should I do a test spot with Polish II and an Orange LC CCS pad or go straight to the Compound II with orange pad? Note, I'm using a Griot's 6" and 3" DA and have LC Hydro pads (red and orange) and CCS pads (BOGO thinner version, orange, red, white and black)

This car is a daily driver and has been washed periodically, but never polished/waxed. But the paint looks pretty good, some swirling, but not horrible.

I'm tempted to just start with the compound, but thought it best to ask for expert opinions first!

Note, I plan to follow the polish process with the white or black pads and then use Wolfgang Sealant.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jon

BobbyG
09-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online Jon!!

Optimum make some great products and their compound and polish is no exception. Always start with something less aggressive and do a test spot to gauge it's success.

Optimum paint correction product perform very well by changing pads. Lets say you're not satisfied with the results of a while pad when using Optimum polish. Pop on an Orange pad and try it again, this might give you the results you're trying to achieve...

Once you've completed the correction wash off any residue, thoroughly dry, and seal the finish.

Eaton
09-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks BobbyG for the quick reply and your input. I'll start with the Polish II with the orange pad and check the results.

Jon