PDA

View Full Version : Bought Me a 7.3 Power Stroke!!

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
So I just got home after driving my new van 900 miles home. Its a 1995 E-350 extended van. Its a freakin monster lol Got 20 mpg didn't matter if I did I 65 or 85 still got 19-20.

The van has a bunch of decals I need to take off but there is also some stuff that they painted instead of vinyl. Any ideas how to get this paint off without messing the vans paint up? I was thinking about try some mineral spirits but I don't think that will do anything. I thought about wet sanding it all off but not sure if there would be a better route to go.

Any help would be awesome!

Oh and I'm selling my 99 GMC safari with 113K if anyone is interested!:xyxthumbs:

JonMiles
09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
A heat gun and some patience will go a long way providing the decals aren't all dried out and cracking.

Also, the 7.3 powerstroke has a variety of mileage increasing mods that can be done. If you put a good chip in it and a new intake and exhaust you have potential to get that thing up in the 30 mpg range.

A.P.A.D.
09-09-2011, 07:33 PM
let see some pictures Tom!

ShineTimeDetail
09-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I can get the Decals of I'm curious about the paint...the stincled some stuff on the van.

Jenn1270
09-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Congrats on the purchase

:postpics:

XLNTShine
09-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the world of real working trucks. Glad you made it home with no issues.

Sounds like you already are in love with the power the diesel has to offer. I love a diesel truck, I am sure you will as well!

Congratulations !!!

ShineTimeDetail
09-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh its a freakin beast lol....ill post pics tomorrow. The trans is a little funny hoping I can flush it and do a filter change and fixes it.....its gonna cost a fortune to change the oil! Like 70+

XLNTShine
09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
A word of advise if may?

Don't flush the transmission since you don't know the history. The school of thought is if you are having any suspected transmission issues not to do a flush, also some say if it's never been flushed to never do it. Some flush equipment manufacturers say the same thing.

Can I ask what exactly you think is wrong with the transmission ?

ShineTimeDetail
09-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Yea I've heard that but the fluids not burn and still red. When I let off the gas you kinda feel a little surge kinda and it shifts a little funny.

XLNTShine
09-09-2011, 08:45 PM
As long as the fluid looks OK I would think it might be OK to flush the transmission.

The surge you are feeling might be turbo surge, I know my truck would feel like it would surge when I let off the accelerator quickly. If I rolled it back in a somewhat smooth manor it would not do it.

My transmission at 198k started to feel like it was falling into the net gear when shifting under light acceleration. Not sure what the cause was but thats when I traded it in. Keep in mind this is a drive by wire engine and it could be the accelerator pedal position sensor acting up or one of the three circuits failing.

You would be surprised how almost nothing sets the check engine light in these engines, but putting a scan tool on it you can usually find some codes.

Now that your a diesel owner you need to get on board with the terminology. :xyxthumbs:

You not have an accelerator/ fuel pedal, a gas pedal is for those "other" guys. :nomore:
You don't tell someone you need gas! You are buying fuel! :props:

Nothing like the sound of a turbo and the smell of warm diesel exhaust on a winters morning!

BTW I was just playing about the gas thing. But you will know a diesel head if you listen.. gas is only purchased for his lawn mower!!

Have fun with her, and remember the chips and tuners on the 95s are not worth the money. The 99+ is a bit different engine, turbo, and fuel system.

William

Sinbad
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Congrats on the purchase. i think wet sanding will be your best option to remove the paint. You will be able to control how much comes of at a time.

That fuel mileage is great and I wouldn't expect much more than that. You start loading that thing down and the mileage will drop some. Should stil stay mid to high teens, depending on the weight.

The transmission is the weakest ink in a diesel truck. Had mine rebuilt with a new converter recently. Now the transmission is nice and tight and shifts well.

Lawndawg
09-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Congrats on the new ford! Take care of that engine and it will last you a long time! Powerstroke.org is a very helpful site for powerstroke owners. I bought a used 99 250 back in early spring and changed all the fluids as soon as I got it. Don't know what kind of maintenance or lack of the previous owner did.

Buckskincolt
09-10-2011, 12:11 AM
So this may sound a bit odd and no way would you try it. Depends on what type of paint the paint is but, try easy off oven cleaner. Put it on with a brush only on the painted sign and wait a couple minutes then wash away. Sometimes it takes a mild scotch pad to get it off but I have never seen it harm clear coat. A vehicle sign painter told me this and it works, then a polish and you are done. The paint most commonly used for this work is called one shot or something like that. I always use extreme caution but have had great luck using it. You may think I'm nuts but try it on a tiny test spot and see what you get.

Elite Pro
09-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Congrats on the truck!
Not sure about the paint but +1 on don't flush tranny fluid, maybe just a spill & fill

chaotik
09-10-2011, 05:15 AM
If the paint you are talking about is painted on lettering.... Most sign painting pros use One Shot lettering enamel... Same stuff used forever by sign painters and pinstripers. Easy Off oven cleaner will take it off... Just gotta be careful with how long you leave it on... Would b a trial thing... Just spray it on... Wait afew seconds, wipe.... Doesn't do anything... Repeat and wait alitttle longer, etc. I would rinse the side after every attempt, as it will b going down the side of the truck after u spray it...don't want to leave it anywhere for extended periods of time