PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

Pages : [1] 2

Excessive Detail
02-06-2007, 12:51 AM
This is what I got paid to do on my car at work today. I know that sounds bad, but we were freakin slow and I was bored and already cleaned the shop up like three times, and I seem to spend money when I'm bored. So I bought and xm unit, I've been wanting to get it for a while. This unit isn't the greates, but it was cheap and fit were I wanted to put it. And no I didn't put the antenna ont he paint, its mounted up in the corner between the winow and dash, works just as good. I did this in about an hour, took my time, I have the audio directly wired into an auxillary input on my radio, no FM modulation, sounds a hell of a lot better. It only cost me $30 for the unit, and $24 for setup and the first month of subscribsion. CHeck the pics.

Know you see it!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/P1010001-2.jpg

Know you don't!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/P1010002.jpg

abrcrombe
02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
That is SLICK!!! XM radio is cool, my dad has it, but I haven't played around with it much. When I have, it was pretty nice.

Jimmie
02-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Think that I've got the same glasses case. Is that an Expedition? Anyway, fits good.

Nuke33
02-06-2007, 01:10 AM
OMG that is the best set up ive ever seen i hate it when u have it just sitting there on your dash.... I saw a truck once with it mounted up by the rearview mirror i liked that but that is so much better...

ehuth1
02-06-2007, 02:23 AM
OMG that is the best set up ive ever seen i hate it when u have it just sitting there on your dash.... I saw a truck once with it mounted up by the rearview mirror i liked that but that is so much better...

:mad: NUKE, Nah I'm JK man -Nice setup and great install !!!! I did all hiding of the wires and have the unit attached to the vent. It has a built in FM transmitter so it was a pretty easy install. XM is great and can't get enough of the decade stations 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s... Always something different playing!! Don't forget 5 comedy stations :)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/ehuth1/f4cf9362.jpg

Brace1
02-06-2007, 06:18 AM
I got Sirius for Christmas and installed it in my Mazda6, although I put it in place of the ashtray instead of the sunglass holder (I think with the sunglass holder open it blocks the rearview mirror).

I got the AuxMod which hooks up to the head unit for a direct connect (a card that interfaces with the head unit, avoiding the FM modulator), sounds phenomenal. I installed a splitter off the AuxMod to hook up my mp3 player. I told my wife I may never have to listen to another commercial again :D

Here's the tuner, I ended up putting the remote next to it on velcro. Thought a remote for it was silly, but use it ALL the time. Much easier to keep the eyes on the road while controlling the tuner:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/dtmommy/P1190002.jpg

Here's the mp3 player in the cupholder, just saw how bad the console needed cleaning :o :
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/dtmommy/P1190004.jpg

And lastly the antenna, which I ran thru the rear windshield washer and of course had to paint to match the vehichle color (with three coats of clear ;) )
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/dtmommy/P1190180.jpg

Brace1
02-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Think that I've got the same glasses case. Is that an Expedition? Anyway, fits good.

Actually it's a Mazda6 (could also tell by the overhead console plus his avatar), which is kind of a Ford anyway so wouldn't be surprised if parts such as an overhead console are shared. Definitely a nice fit as you stated. I was shooting for my tuner to be covered by the ashtray lid, but it was too big and I had to take the lid off entirely.

FloridaNative
02-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Nice set up. :)

dengood1
02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I did this in about an hour, took my time, I have the audio directly wired into an auxillary input on my radio, no FM modulation, sounds a hell of a lot better.

Excessive Detail, do tell----how did you hook it up to your auxilliary input on your radio? I too am looking to do this but I'm not sure how. RCA's?

Excessive Detail
02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Excessive Detail, do tell----how did you hook it up to your auxilliary input on your radio? I too am looking to do this but I'm not sure how. RCA's?

Sorryit took me so long to reply to ya. Basically, every stand alone unit has an audio output on it, its usually small and requires a mini jack plug, like that used on headphones. This output can be used for headphones, fm modulator, meanin the audio output is wired to a box that goes between the antenna and radio unit, not wireless. What I did was take a set of rca's with a mini jack plug on the end, then extended the rca side with rca barrel connectors and 16ft long rca, I then ran it my aftermarket head uint that has an auxillary input for sound and video, of course I just used the audio part. All I have to do is switch source on the headunit to the aux input and the xm plays through, it sounds a lot better than doing through the antenna, but the like I said the unit isn't the best, so the sound quality isn't as good as it could be.

Now not all aftermarket radios have an aux input like mine, but they do have a an input specifically for sat radio, this way you get the best sound quality and you can control all the sat radio functions through the radio itself, unlike mine were i still have to use the unit for controll. This way is more expensive, but everything is hidden, not visible parts for the xm except for the headunit, I could have gone this way with mine, but my radio only accepts sirius units and I like xm better.

Sorry its so long, but that the basics, let me know if you have any other questions.

dengood1
02-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Sorryit took me so long to reply to ya. Basically, every stand alone unit has an audio output on it, its usually small and requires a mini jack plug, like that used on headphones. This output can be used for headphones, fm modulator, meanin the audio output is wired to a box that goes between the antenna and radio unit, not wireless. What I did was take a set of rca's with a mini jack plug on the end, then extended the rca side with rca barrel connectors and 16ft long rca, I then ran it my aftermarket head uint that has an auxillary input for sound and video, of course I just used the audio part. All I have to do is switch source on the headunit to the aux input and the xm plays through, it sounds a lot better than doing through the antenna, but the like I said the unit isn't the best, so the sound quality isn't as good as it could be.

Now not all aftermarket radios have an aux input like mine, but they do have a an input specifically for sat radio, this way you get the best sound quality and you can control all the sat radio functions through the radio itself, unlike mine were i still have to use the unit for controll. This way is more expensive, but everything is hidden, not visible parts for the xm except for the headunit, I could have gone this way with mine, but my radio only accepts sirius units and I like xm better.

Sorry its so long, but that the basics, let me know if you have any other questions.

This is how I have my unit hooked up, http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/hardware_support/delphi/SKYFi_fm_mod_guide.pdf,
but would like to have it hooked up the way you did, bypassing the FM modulator. How can I go about doing it to have better sound?

Doesn't it have to have an fm modulator?

cking526
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Could you post some pics of how you used the RCA jacks. I have a roady and would like to hook it up like that. I get tired of trying to find stations.

Excessive Detail
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
This is how I have my unit hooked up, http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/hardware_support/delphi/SKYFi_fm_mod_guide.pdf,
but would like to have it hooked up the way you did, bypassing the FM modulator. How can I go about doing it to have better sound?

Doesn't it have to have an fm modulator?

Yes mine does have an fm modulator, yours is a wired fm modulator, were mine is wirless, meaning it transmits signal to the cars factory atenna. Wired plugs in between the antenna and the radio. Wired is good, the way mine is better, and buying a aftermerket radio with sat radio capability is the best. TO do this, first buy a radio/cd player that is sat radio ready, depending on brand some will do xm, some will do sirius, or some will do both. Once you have the radio you need the sat radio controller, basically this is either one or two small boxes that are hidden and have all the connection for the sat radio, usually the antenna, power, and either a din cable, which a square plastic cable withe pins in it that carries audio and the controls, or rca outputs and a din cable together, unlike mine this doesn't need a mini jack plug, it already normal rca outputs, again this depends on brand. By going this way all the sat radio controls come up on the headunit itself with no external units. This is the best way to go, do you already have a aftermarket radio? Here is a link to some pics of what I'm talking about.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Satellite-Radio/sem/rpsm/catOid/-14641/N/20012898+20014641+40001562/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

The lttle black boxes with the orange label are the on that require two boxe, that one and on that looks similar to the big black box at the top of the page. Like I said some brands only have on box, which looks like that same big black box. Both setups work the same and provide the best sound quality.

I hope this helps, still let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help.

Excessive Detail
02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Could you post some pics of how you used the RCA jacks. I have a roady and would like to hook it up like that. I get tired of trying to find stations.

Here is a link to the type of cable I used, you have to get some female barrel connectors and another set of normal rcas to lengthen the cable if you need to.

Buy the RCA Stereo "Y" Adapter Plug (AH205) and other iPod video Accessories at circuitcity.com (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/RCA-Stereo-Y-Adapter-Plug-AH205/sem/rpsm/oid/13265/catOid/-12930/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

Here is a link to what the barrel connectors look like, now you really don't need that fancy of one, but its the only pic I can find, you can find plastic ones pretty much anywere.

Buy the Monster Cable PhonolinkŪ Female-to-Female RCA Barrel Connectors (AFRFH) and other Audio Cables and Connectors at circuitcity.com (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Monster-Cable-Phonolink-Female-to-Female-RCA-Barrel-Connectors-AFRFH/sem/rpsm/oid/16202/catOid/-12930/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

dengood1
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes mine does have an fm modulator, yours is a wired fm modulator, were mine is wirless, meaning it transmits signal to the cars factory atenna. Wired plugs in between the antenna and the radio. Wired is good, the way mine is better, and buying a aftermerket radio with sat radio capability is the best. TO do this, first buy a radio/cd player that is sat radio ready, depending on brand some will do xm, some will do sirius, or some will do both. Once you have the radio you need the sat radio controller, basically this is either one or two small boxes that are hidden and have all the connection for the sat radio, usually the antenna, power, and either a din cable, which a square plastic cable withe pins in it that carries audio and the controls, or rca outputs and a din cable together, unlike mine this doesn't need a mini jack plug, it already normal rca outputs, again this depends on brand. By going this way all the sat radio controls come up on the headunit itself with no external units. This is the best way to go, do you already have a aftermarket radio? Here is a link to some pics of what I'm talking about.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Satellite-Radio/sem/rpsm/catOid/-14641/N/20012898+20014641+40001562/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

The lttle black boxes with the orange label are the on that require two boxe, that one and on that looks similar to the big black box at the top of the page. Like I said some brands only have on box, which looks like that same big black box. Both setups work the same and provide the best sound quality.

I hope this helps, still let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help.

Mine has wireless capabilities also, but wired sounds better. Now I see what you mean, your head unit must be XM ready. I have an Alpine 7820 head unit with aux. hook ups, but this won't work because the unit has to be Satellite ready, right?

Thanks for your help!

Dennis