PDA

View Full Version : Normal winter maintenance...

Pages : [1] 2

alko
09-09-2011, 10:15 AM
So, going along with the http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/40712-winter-battle-plan-poll.html what do you guys normally do for regular maintenance?

BillyJack
09-09-2011, 10:30 AM
As late in fall as possible, I'll clay, do two coats of 845, including wheels and all glass except windshield. Windshield will get a fresh app of Aquapel.
Winter washes are strictly ONR in the garage, or if I catch a mild weekend, a pressure washer blow-off in the driveway. If I get a chance in January, I'll boost the 845 with a quick pass of either Meg's NXT or OCW, as both are still easy to use in colder temps. This was my routine for a never-garaged winter driver last year and it survived a PA winter okay, still beading in March.

Bill

SeaJay's
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
As late in fall as possible, I'll clay, do two coats of 845, including wheels and all glass except windshield. Windshield will get a fresh app of Aquapel.
Winter washes are strictly ONR in the garage, or if I catch a mild weekend, a pressure washer blow-off in the driveway. If I get a chance in January, I'll boost the 845 with a quick pass of either Meg's NXT or OCW, as both are still easy to use in colder temps. This was my routine for a never-garaged winter driver last year and it survived a PA winter okay, still beading in March.

Bill

I do something similar to this. Except I use Menz powerlock then 1 coat of 845. During winter last year it was ONR washes in the garage but this year I do not have a garage. This year I will be hooking a hose up to my utility sink for rinsing and then an ONR wash with hot water. Have to make sure it's above freezing. I really miss my garage....

alko
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah...I'm thinking of picking up some ONR...I'm alittle nervous using this product...worried about swirls and what not in the paint, but everyone who has used ONR loves it. Once I winterize the pressure washers, thats it....its being stored. But I do want to be able to maintain the car during the cold months. My "Winter Battle Plan" is to:

Either Poli-Seal, top with Collinite 915 and possibly Swissvax Concorso
-or-
If I have this by then...Meg's DA MF system and then top with Collinite 915 and possibly Swissvax Concorso.

Once she has a good coat or two or protection, every once in awhile go to those touchless washes and follow-up with ONR. I need to do some more research on the different no rinse washes available.

weavers
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm gonna wash, clay, compound, polish and opti coat. It will be my first time using opti coat. I have opti coat on the wheels already. I will also put rain-x on all windows including wing mirrors. I will try rain-x anti fog inside the windows. I hope to do all of this weekend.

BobbyG
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Once my vehicles are protected, I do regular maintenance washes with A regiment of rinseless washes. I prefer DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss mixed with warm water. I usually mix it double strength to aid in lubricity....

Liberally wet down the panel and let it set
Wash lightly using plenty of solution
Rinse mitt and wash again allowing remaining contaminates to flow off the panel
Dry with a Microfiber Guzzler towel while warm
Every second wash I go over each panel with Optimum Spray Wax

Another great wash is Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate!

alko
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Once my vehicles are protected, I do regular maintenance washes with A regiment of rinseless washes. I prefer DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss mixed with warm water. I usually mix it double strength to aid in lubricity....

Liberally wet down the panel and let it set
Wash lightly using plenty of solution
Rinse mitt and wash again allowing remaining contaminates to flow off the panel
Dry with a Microfiber Guzzler towel while warm
Every second wash I go over each panel with Optimum Spray Wax
Another great wash is Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate!

Are you still using the hose in this equation? Or just using a bucket or something to wet the vehicle? Have you used ONR? I will have to look into DP and Ultima. I've used Ultima's wash before and liked it.

SeaJay's
09-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Are you still using the hose in this equation? Or just using a bucket or something to wet the vehicle? Have you used ONR? I will have to look into DP and Ultima. I've used Ultima's wash before and liked it.

I've used the Ultima, DP, and ONR. Ultima is a great product and so is DP. But my personal preference is ONR since I've used this exclusively over the past year and have never had any issues. I do have DP as my back up though. I think any of these products will fit what you are looking for.

And I don't think Bobby uses a hose at all. (if I recall correctly from last years threads about this)

I always like to try to use a hose to rinse off salt/sand when possible. Winter is obviously tougher to use a hose. So sometimes I run to the local self wash place and just use the pressure washer. Then come home and do my wash. Sucks but it works.

embolism
09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
so far I like ONR with the sheepskin washpads best.

I've also used DP wash and gloss but I tried cheaping out with a sponge cut up like the LC blue and got some fine scratches in the clear... had to slap myself for that bonehead decision...

shoeless89
09-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I have Menzerna Power Lock topped with Collinite 845 right now. I prepped early this year because I don't know if I'll have time until mid December because I'm in school and almost a Senior, my classes are hard and school has to come first even though I would rather detail my ride.

Before winter I'm going to try to throw another layer of Collinite on it. I have a 32 oz. of ONR, Ultima Waterless Wash + concentrate and pre-diluted Ultima Waterless Wash +. I plan to go to the do-it-yourself wash and spray the car down with the pressure washer to get as much as the salt and large dibris off as I can. Then when I get home I'm gonna pull the car in the garage and either use the ONR or UWW+ to wash. I'm gonna use the Cobra Waffle Weave HD to dry. It's super thick and I've tried it and it works great for rinse-less washes.

alko
09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a good plan Shawn. I will be picking up a rinseless wash for the winter. I will be going to a touchless wash before I hit it with the rinseless wash.

Gungho_15
09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
i have noticed that most of you guys use the 845. Just out of curiosity why not the CQUARTZ? I have been wondering about this product and wonder why more people aren't using it if its suppose to be as good as it sounds.

rider9195
09-13-2011, 06:00 PM
i have noticed that most of you guys use the 845. Just out of curiosity why not the CQUARTZ? I have been wondering about this product and wonder why more people aren't using it if its suppose to be as good as it sounds.

Personally I prefer the joy of waxing my vehicles every couple of months. The coatings like Cquartz and Opti-coat are very good options for long term protection and I have been eyeing them some.

SeaJay's
09-13-2011, 06:26 PM

I actually have cquartz on the hood of my HHR. I haven't had a chance to polish out the rest of the car yet. So far I love it and hope to get the rest of the car done prior to winter.

I didn't do this last year as I was still researching and learning about the coatings.

BobbyG
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I actually have cquartz on the hood of my HHR. I haven't had a chance to polish out the rest of the car yet. So far I love it and hope to get the rest of the car done prior to winter.

I didn't do this last year as I was still researching and learning about the coatings.

Hey Jason, good to see you my friend! :dblthumb2: