PDA

View Full Version : stripping lsp with not access to hose?

nickelanddime
09-09-2011, 09:18 AM
With the winter now fast approaching, at least here in vermont I'm getting ready to prepare the car. I would like to strip my current lsp, but i live in an apartment and have no access to a hose. I was thinking I would do a dawn wash at coin op place, but I'm not sure if there are better alternatives. I havent been detailing long so I havent really had to do it before. I recently got some Supernatural Hybrid but im sure it won't bond well without stripping whats on there first.

IOMCAMARO
09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Griot's paint prep will help

truckbutt
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
If you're putting an AIO over what you have, then it will take off the old wax. If you're doing a two step polish and wax, the polish will take off the old wax. If you still want to remove the old wax, say to put on a sealant, you can use the Griot's as mentioned above, DuPont Prep Sol, Kleen Strip Prep All or if you only plan on doing this once or twice a year, using Dawn won't hurt. Over time dish detergent will dry out paint. Once or twice a year shouldn't be an issue.

KneeDragr
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
You could try P21s paintwork cleanser.

nickelanddime
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I could start by checking the spelling in the post title. It seems for ease of use, and time, that the griots paint prep is probably the best. I was hoping to not have to buy anything more, but i dont know if dawn would completely strip everyting

zkeeper
09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Griots paint prep is one of the easiest and most convenient in your situation. It works.!! A little tip: with car clean, apply a liberal covering spray over a panel, and use your hand, [with no rings of course] to spread it around, rub it in and give it time to work. That spreads it evenly, and you do not absorb it so soon in a rag, thus not wasting product.
Then do another panel etc...give it some time [2-6 min they ask] so that will depend on what is ON the car already, and how fast its drying if used outside. Don't rub PPrep into a dirty surface of course. I might get flamed on this---but hey if you have no hose/water situation, and you do not have a waterless wash, then if you are careful using a hand wand coin-op, take the time to carefully hand wash, and rinse carefully--that should get you started. Hope that helps some...:props:

BobbyG
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
DuPont Prep-Sol Wax & Grease Remover
Prep-AllŪ Wax & Grease Remover
Griots Paint Prep

SRTSean
09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
How is Griot's Paint Prep going to work when he has no access to a hose to rinse it off?

I would think maybe the Griot's Pre-wax cleaner or IPA wipedown would be the easiest products to use.

IOMCAMARO
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
He said he can go to a coin operated car wash.

JL-KA
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I live in an apartment and still manage to wash my car properly.
I hook a 100ft hose up to the bathroom sink and throw it out the window and out to the parking lot.

Lasthope05
09-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Just stick to a paint cleaner such as opt poliseal, klasse aio, dg501...etc. They will chemically strip the paint and lay down a good base for any lsp. There is no need for a wipedown of any kind as it's a wasted step seeing you will need to prep the paint anyways either with a polish or chemical cleaner. Work smart, not hard.

RaskyR1
09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Just stick to a paint cleaner such as opt poliseal, klasse aio, dg501...etc. They will chemically strip the paint and lay down a good base for any lsp. There is no need for a wipedown of any kind as it's a wasted step seeing you will need to prep the paint anyways either with a polish or chemical cleaner. Work smart, not hard.

Agreed! :dblthumb2:

Using an AIO or pre-wax cleaner will also make the finish look better then if you were to use some sort of solvent to strip the paint.

nickelanddime
09-10-2011, 09:46 PM
so if i were to apply say the klasse, would i then be able to top it with a wax or would that not be necessary or is it just a matter of preference?

Audi Rick
09-11-2011, 07:42 AM
If you decide to use Klasse AIO you can top it with whatever you like.

cutter
09-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Your method at the coin-op should do fine....I've read on this site that many people who live in apartments do that.

If you do choose to use Klasse All-In-One, be sure to top it with a wax or sealant, as it offers no protection.