PDA

View Full Version : Glaze question

ArkayoDeetayo
09-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Hi, I been reading and I understand that a glaze is a step used to fill swirls/defects and make the paint look better "temporarily."

Well my question is, where does the glaze go or how does it just disappear since it's being locked in by the LSP? Shouldn't the sealant or wax lock in the glaze under the layer of LSP and it be trapped in there until the LSP is removed?

I always wondered and if someone could answer, would be great. Thanks

mjlinane
09-09-2011, 06:50 AM
The only glazes I have used are CG EZ-Creme and Wet Mirror Finish but do not use them for their filling properties. They clean and prepare (with some sealing properties) the paint for the sealant so definitely go on first and add a definite pop to the finish (esp WMF).

ArkayoDeetayo
09-09-2011, 12:26 PM
The only glazes I have used are CG EZ-Creme and Wet Mirror Finish but do not use them for their filling properties. They clean and prepare (with some sealing properties) the paint for the sealant so definitely go on first and add a definite pop to the finish (esp WMF).

Sorry, I guess I didn't phrase it right...
I know the glaze goes AFTER the wash but BEFORE the LSP (wax/sealant). Not asking when to apply it, I am just asking basically where does the glaze go or escape to, since it's being locked in by the LSP?

Don't know if my thinking is right so if anyone knows and can chime in, that would be excellent. The way I think of it, the LSP dissolves a little everyday because it's the most outter layer, and I would assume the outter layers go first before whatever is under the LSP can "go" too? Does that make sense? Just curious where it goes.

silverfox
09-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Go with CG Blacklight...its a finishing polish/glaze/sealant AIO....you get the best worlds of a fine finishing polish, the gloss and filling of a glaze (better than EZ Creme in my opinion), and the sealant capability of a Blackfire Wet Diamond or Powerlock ..(still going strong at 4 months for me on one of our cars).

I don't think there is another product out there like this...prima Amego comes close, but it lacks the LSP sealant component.

BimmerFerret
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Hey, check out this chart autogeek has on the hierarchy of a full detail.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg

That should answer what you are asking I think!

truckbutt
09-09-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/40496-glaze-not-glaze.html

FUNX650
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi, I been reading and I understand that a glaze is a step used to fill swirls/defects and make the paint look better "temporarily."

Well my question is, where does the glaze go or how does it just disappear since it's being locked in by the LSP? Shouldn't the sealant or wax lock in the glaze under the layer of LSP and it be trapped in there until the LSP is removed?

I always wondered and if someone could answer, would be great. Thanks

I believe you might have come very close to answering your own question. :)

Consider, if you will:
-That the film layers of glaze/wax/sealant is measured in millionths of an inch
- For the sake of argument: It seems to me that there must be some "co-mingling" between the glaze and wax film layers (carrier solvents?, oils?, come to mind)
- How is an LSP 'removed' (environmental exposure, washing sessions, etc.)
- Wouldn't, as the LSP is 'being removed', take along for the ride, its "co-mingled" glaze partner
- Or, after the LSP has been removed, and again for argument's sake, there has been no "co-mingling" between the LSP and the glaze, the glaze would then be exposed to the elements, washing sessions, etc., that will soon usher in its demise, as likewise happened to the LSP.

This may not have been the most scientific approach/definitive statements, but I hope they were of some help.

Just a thought or two. :)

Bob

ArkayoDeetayo
09-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I believe you might have come very close to answering your own question. :)

Consider, if you will:
-That the film layers of glaze/wax/sealant is measured in millionths of an inch
- For the sake of argument: It seems to me that there must be some "co-mingling" between the glaze and wax film layers (carrier solvents?, oils?, come to mind)
- How is an LSP 'removed' (environmental exposure, washing sessions, etc.)
- Wouldn't, as the LSP is 'being removed', take along for the ride, its "co-mingled" glaze partner
- Or, after the LSP has been removed, and again for argument's sake, there has been no "co-mingling" between the LSP and the glaze, the glaze would then be exposed to the elements, washing sessions, etc., that will soon usher in its demise, as likewise happened to the LSP.

This may not have been the most scientific approach/definitive statements, but I hope they were of some help.

Just a thought or two. :)

Bob

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks. For the other previous post, thanks for your answers, I was just wondering basically where the glaze vanishes to or evaporates to seeing as how its trapped by the LSP.

Bob cleared it up for me. The way I previously saw it, I thought of it as, the glaze being a layer, then the LSP being another layer on top (both being separate layers) and thus I figured the top layer (the LSP) has to go first before the glaze can go. But Bob now lets me know that there is no "layers," ... the LSP combines with the glaze to form a team and little by little they die together due to environment exposure and washes. That makes sense. Thanks for all your answers and replies, and thanks Bob. I learn a little more everyday.

ArkayoDeetayo
09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks. For the other previous post, thanks for your answers, I was just wondering basically where the glaze vanishes to or evaporates to seeing as how its trapped by the LSP.

Bob cleared it up for me. The way I previously saw it, I thought of it as, the glaze being a layer, then the LSP being another layer on top (both being separate layers) and thus I figured the top layer (the LSP) has to go first before the glaze can go. But Bob now lets me know that there is no "layers," ... the LSP combines with the glaze to form a team and little by little they die together due to environment exposure and washes. That makes sense. Thanks for all your answers and replies, and thanks Bob. I learn a little more everyday.

So I figured it was like a layer of something (I used Jello for picture references)...white being the glaze and red being the LSP... when in actuality, there is no white and red jello, there is only pink Jello...oh I see.

FUNX650
09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
So I figured it was like a layer of something (I used Jello for picture references)...white being the glaze and red being the LSP... when in actuality, there is no white and red jello, there is only pink Jello...oh I see.

You made me sorta hungry with your jello analogy. LOL :)

Please keep in mind that out there in the real world there may be some anomolies, or deviations, to the "pink" theory.

If a glaze and its topper (LSP) would/could actually form seperate film layers atop each other, with NO co-mingling, as it were, the "removing' of the LSP would still leave the glaze exposed to the elements, washing sessions, etc., and would erode away by the same 'methods' that eroded the LSP. Maybe even at a faster rate.

Hope this didn't befuddle the issue.
Just something else to consider, that's all. :)

Bob