PDA

View Full Version : california power outage

Pages : [1] 2

timaishu
09-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Well, more like southern california. Anyone loose power? I just got mine back about 30 minutes ago here in Spring Valley.

Last I heard about 190k people have power with millions still left in the dark.

I was at home depot buying a window screen kit. Also on my shopping list was one of those power outage wall outlet flash light things. No joke haha.

My sister "borrowed" ours so I was gonna pick up a few. While looking for them HD lost power. I didn't end up buying the lights.

Lots of people on the roads and I have to go to about 8 liquor stores before I could find one tiny bag of ice. Couldn't get D-cell batteries anywhere.

Joe@Superior Shine
09-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Nice little reminder that you should be prepared always. I'm from hurricane country and now live near Los Angeles (earth quakes) I think I'm ready for anything. I have lights, generators, food, water, extra clothes, money, guns, medical supplies, two way radios, etc...

Mobile detail
09-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Rule#1 to surviving a zombie apocalypse is dont advertise that you have supplies.....

aerogt01
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Rule#1 to surviving a zombie apocalypse is dont advertise that you have supplies.....

I was certain that one was lower on the list than Cardio and Aim for the Head.

BearValley
09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Ours was out for about four hours here in Ladera Ranch (southern Orange County).

No big deal, I grilled dinner as usual!

oldmodman
09-09-2011, 02:47 PM
No outage here in West Los Angeles, I'm near the 10 & 405 intersection.

And I have a stand by generator just in case. As well as a whole house UPS that will keep everything but the stove running for 12 hours.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I understand this was caused by Clark Griswold checking out his Christmas lights while he could still get bulbs at the pre-season price.

bobble
09-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I live in the Rancho Santa Margarita area and power was fine, depended on who your provider was. People were beyond stupid, lines everywhere. Ijust went home watched the football game.

timaishu
09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, people were over reacting a bit Id say with all the lines.

Maybe they were all looking for batteries and ice like me haha.

All my flash lights use D cells, did I have any? Nope. haha

cmichael258
09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Is ENRON back in business?

BobbyG
09-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I saw that and my concern is this;

Is our infrastructure so poorly designed that one technician can accidentally cause a short-circuit at a substation in North Gila, Arizona, set off a series of failures that led to the massive power outage that left millions of people in California, Arizona and Mexico in the dark. Enough circuit breakers tripped that it actually shut down a nuclear power plant!

If one technician could do this what about a group of terrorists!! :bash:

Bunky
09-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I saw that and my concern is this;

Is our infrastructure so poorly designed that one technician can accidentally cause a short-circuit at a substation in North Gila, Arizona, set off a series of failures that led to the massive power outage that left millions of people in California, Arizona and Mexico in the dark. Enough circuit breakers tripped that it actually shut down a nuclear power plant!

If one technician could do this what about a group of terrorists!! :bash:

The infrastructure is dependent on private industry. When we had the earthquate in eastern US, it was revealed the nuclear plant in Virginia had seen 2x shock than was designed! When it was built we had people complaining about excess regulation.

It is like the saying " It is idiot proof until we find a better idiot".

BearValley
09-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, people were over reacting a bit Id say with all the lines.

Lines? Not me. I was at home grilling and enjoying a couple of cold barley-pops.

:xyxthumbs:

Flash Gordon
09-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Are Twinkies considered a good emergency food source?

Bunky
09-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Are Twinkies considered a good emergency food source?

If that is all you had.