PDA

View Full Version : I pulled the trigger....

Pages : [1] 2

Kristopher1129
09-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I've been contemplating whether or not I want to paint my car this winter. I've decided that I'm definitely going to do it. I just bought all the paint, clear coat, reducer, and hardener...so, now it HAS to happen, ha.

I have a 99 Civic LX with 159K miles. I know...it's not my dream car. But, I've always been one to just find a good deal on a well running, well taken care of, reliable vehicle. I've never really had the desire to have a new car. I just don't want the hassle of taking care of it, or the payments. I pay cash...done.

So, I don't plan on getting rid of this car anytime soon...cause it's a great car, and has not a thing wrong with it. The ONLY thing wrong...is a couple spots where rust bubbles poked through. One on the hood, and one on the back door drivers side. It also was hit by an egg by some D bag throwing them around town last year.

It's metallic black....and I'm re-painting it the same color. I'm eager to start, it may get done in the fall, ha.

IOMCAMARO
09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Sounds like a blast. Just better hope that it doesn't have the normal Honda rust. Meaning that it may look little on the surface, but underneath it could be a mess. But make sure to post pics of your project! It's always fun reading threads like that.

slickooz
09-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Sounds like a fun project! Keep us updated with pics. :)

kimtyson
09-09-2011, 08:21 AM
You are a wise lad, Kris. Cash is king. Debt is a servant. Good luck with the paint job.

Bates Detailing
09-09-2011, 08:24 AM
If this goes well you may have a nice service addition to your shop :props:. Good luck man!

Also - were flipping those rims (I think in winter or spring) worth the time, product, and money?!?!?

tuscarora dave
09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Nice. Be sure to lay the clear down a bit heavy.

Kristopher1129
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys...I basically just figured, why the hell not? Honestly...I'm not really doing it so that my car looks awesome (although that will be beneficial), I'm really doing it to get experience with wet sanding orange peel. I feel if any part of my detailing skills are lacking...it's probably in that area.

I've done panels to remove orange peel, like from a repair paint job for customers. But, I've never done a FULL blown orange peel removal. This is definitely something I'd like to do more of cause there's big money in it. I definitely want to just take my time and do it right. Plus, now I've got my van to drive around in while my car is being worked on. :dblthumb2:

Kristopher1129
09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
If this goes well you may have a nice service addition to your shop :props:. Good luck man!

Also - were flipping those rims (I think in winter or spring) worth the time, product, and money?!?!?

Unfortunately...no. It WOULD have been profitable if they weren't machine polished and clear coated, ha. I did one of them, and it came out good...but it was too much work. I scrapped them for the same price I paid.

BUT, I did recently repair a set of aluminum rims on a classic Camaro that were sprayed with acid by some other detailer. Don't know if you saw that thread recently...but you should check that out. That was profitable for me cause they were uncoated aluminum and I was able to repair them. I removed all four and polished the hell out of them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/40466-camaro-project-northeast-detailing.html

Nice. Be sure to lay the clear down a bit heavy.

I was planning on it! How many coats do you think would be sufficient? I would absolutely want to correct the paint many times. I know 2 coats is the norm...but I'd want more.

mdb917
09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
You're right, after purchasing the paints and other chemicals you are committed. Keeping the original color is a real smart idea.

What a great winter project to undertake and it will provide multiple benefits; it gives you invaluable insight on how to deal with orange peel (assuming you end up with some), keeps the debtor jailers away, gives you pride of doing a tough job and accomplishing it well and it will spruce up the Honda!

Do you have the paint gun, compressor, etc.? Have you ever painted a vehicle before? This is not to discourage you in the least, just the opposite. I've seen people who were supposed to know how to paint a car turn out junk and with your attention to detail I have no doubt this project will turn out better than you think it will.

I'll look forward to progress reports from time to time.

Go get 'em!!! :dblthumb2:

oldmodman
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Do you have a booth to spray in?

Most paint jobs are ruined either by the surface not being clean enough.
Crap in the air lines going to the gun. Could be moisture, dust, or oil.
Crap in the air landing on the wet or still tacky paint.

Bates Detailing
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately...no. It WOULD have been profitable if they weren't machine polished and clear coated, ha. I did one of them, and it came out good...but it was too much work. I scrapped them for the same price I paid.

BUT, I did recently repair a set of aluminum rims on a classic Camaro that were sprayed with acid by some other detailer. Don't know if you saw that thread recently...but you should check that out. That was profitable for me cause they were uncoated aluminum and I was able to repair them. I removed all four and polished the hell out of them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/40466-camaro-project-northeast-detailing.html

Nice man - they turned out great!

Kristopher1129
09-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I have a shop and im just gonna make my own booth. I have a designated compressor that is brand new that ill use for the spraying. I already have a gun too. Ive painted a few times....but noting like what im gonna do this time.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

BobbyG
09-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Hey Kris,

Painting a car is a pretty big job but if you do some reading and a little practice before the bid day you'll be surprised how nice the car will look.

Painting a car works on some of the same principals as detailing; a majority of the results are in the preparation...

Don't for get the DuPont Prep-Sol 3319s! :props:

Kristopher1129
09-10-2011, 08:16 AM
You're right, after purchasing the paints and other chemicals you are committed. Keeping the original color is a real smart idea.

What a great winter project to undertake and it will provide multiple benefits; it gives you invaluable insight on how to deal with orange peel (assuming you end up with some), keeps the debtor jailers away, gives you pride of doing a tough job and accomplishing it well and it will spruce up the Honda!

Do you have the paint gun, compressor, etc.? Have you ever painted a vehicle before? This is not to discourage you in the least, just the opposite. I've seen people who were supposed to know how to paint a car turn out junk and with your attention to detail I have no doubt this project will turn out better than you think it will.

I'll look forward to progress reports from time to time.

Go get 'em!!! :dblthumb2:

Do you have a booth to spray in?

Most paint jobs are ruined either by the surface not being clean enough.
Crap in the air lines going to the gun. Could be moisture, dust, or oil.
Crap in the air landing on the wet or still tacky paint.

Hey Kris,

Painting a car is a pretty big job but if you do some reading and a little practice before the bid day you'll be surprised how nice the car will look.

Painting a car works on some of the same principals as detailing; a majority of the results are in the preparation...

Don't for get the DuPont Prep-Sol 3319s! :props:

I actually have some of the prep-sol already, ha. I think I've done enough reading, and research to get a good job done. I definitely know it's ALL in the prep work. I see crappy paint jobs all the time where the primer work was not smoothed out, but they painted anyways and you can see the etchings.

That is definitely not something I will tolerate! If I saw those etchings after paint...I would sand and re-paint.

P.S. WOW! Everything I ordered just came in...I ordered just over a day ago. Wasn't expecting that, ha. Impressive.

cutter
09-10-2011, 08:29 AM
You are a wise lad, Kris. Cash is king. Debt is a servant. Good luck with the paint job.

WHAT SHE SAID!!! Not too many people think that way and have been ruined by the

"Credit Cop"!!! Way to go!!!