PDA

View Full Version : High end carnubas

Pages : [1] 2

Ron Atchison
09-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Having only used Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax as far as high end waxes go. Other than price is there really that much difference in all the other higher end carnuba waxes. Such as Füzion, BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun, Souverän or coming in at the lower end of the price scale Signature Series II to name a few. With some them have polymers in them they may have better durabilty than the ones that are staight carnubas but far as depth and wettness goes are they really worth the price of admission. I realize this may turn out to be just a matter of opinion or budget but I rarely see people mention these waxes in their posts when doing details or are these mostly saved for private use.

alko
09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
In the past recent months, I have used two waxes...Swissvax Concoros (very expensive) and Collinite 915 (not expensive at all).

I detailed my Black Acura TSX back in July with the Swissvax and to this day, she's still beading like crazy. Everytime I wash it she looks amazing.

For the Collinite 915 I only had a chance to test the hood of a 300C. The hood looked great when I got done and shortly after, it rained. She beaded almost as much as the Swissvax.

I do not know the durability of both of these products, but from what I've read, Collinite products last a very long time and are extremely durable. As mentioned, the Swissvax has been on my Acura for 2.5 months and still looks great. Bug splatters and dirt are easy to wipe off in between washes.

One thing I've learned is...you don't necessarily have to spend a bunch of money to achieve great results. I was fortunate to recieve the Swissvax Concorso as a gift, however I don't think I would spend that much money on some wax.

I always told my fiance that I was going to start an expensive clothing line targeting rich folks. Buy cheap t-shirts from Korea and put a $300 price tag on it so rich folks could feel better about spending their money. Anyways....I digress.

BobbyG
09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
High $$$$$$$$$ Waxes appearance and durability are not proportionate to their cost...

Ron Atchison
09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
High $$$$$$$$$ Waxes appearance and durability are not proportionate to their cost...

I know apperance and durability are two different things and durability may not be their intended purpose. Some will say if your looking for a long lasting wax then your not caring for your paint. Colonite at 15.00 pretty well has that covered. Has anyone ever done a side by side to see if there is any visual difference for extra money spent? The addition of the BF line got me thinking about all this once I read their disciption of their carnuba. They are really quite funny ads. One wins all the car shows the other causes whiplash and so on. Creative writers!

ScottB
09-08-2011, 08:52 PM
If you like Fuzion stick with it ....

Ron Atchison
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
If you like Fuzion stick with it ....

Yes I do but I only had a small sample and at the asking price is it that much better than the others? I guess what I'm after here is what makes the high end waxes so special? Are they really that more expensive to produce?

ScottB
09-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes I do but I only had a small sample and at the asking price is it that much better than the others? I guess what I'm after here is what makes the high end waxes so special? Are they really that more expensive to produce?

Cost is relative to outcome and perceived differences over other products. Its very personal and nobody can tell you if its worth it. I am sure ingredients have different pricing but "if" its a value can only be decided by you.

What I might suggest is first trying some less expensive offerings with alot of value (like DP Max Wax, Pinnacle SSII) and see if your happy with outcome.

You can then wait till a special occassion or sale (end of year, holidays) to perhaps pickup a more expensive offering if you feel your missing something.

aerogt01
09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Personally I would get a decent sealant and top it with P21S.

Sealant durability, P21S looks. Granted you will have to re-coat the P21 every month or two. . . But hey, it's cheap and looks great!

Ron Atchison
09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
As I said earlier I realize this may turn out to be just a matter of opinion or budget. I wasn't really looking for someone to say buy this or that it was more of a thinking out loud type of thing and seeing what others had to say or what their experiences were with different waxes. I know some guys have them all.

"Cost is relative to outcome and perceived differences over other products." I know this all too well. I have a few hobbies.

Ron Atchison
09-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Sealant durability, P21S looks. Granted you will have to re-coat the P21 every month or two. . . But hey, it's cheap and looks great!

I used the Wolfgang twins on a black Z4 and topped it with the Fusion and it looks great.

P21 ??

aerogt01
09-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok let's go after your original question: other than cost is there really that much difference? Without going into opinion, yes, absolutely.

I would expect the higher-priced waxes to have better grades of carnauba, higher percentage, and overall look and perform better. Hand-poured and inspected is always a plus. Do they always look and perform better? That's where opinion comes in.

Take a look at some you mentioned:
Fuzion - hybrid wax/sealant with great durability and looks
Midnight Sun - don't know much about this one. Designed to be layered on top of Blackfire sealant.
Souveran - easily a forum favorite as the best-looking. Durability? Not so much.
SSII - Poor man's souveran, I do not know much about the durability of this one.

Answer: Are they all different? Oh yeah.

Your other question: Are they really worth the price of admission? You know, if you have to ask. . .

aerogt01
09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I used the Wolfgang twins on a black Z4 and topped it with the Fusion and it looks great.

P21 ??

I'm sure it does!

P21S used to be talked about a lot more on here. People really didn't like the durability. You probably got the same or better looks and better durability with Fuzion.

P21s Wax, P21s concours carnauba wax, p21s carnauba wax, carnauba wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/p2concarwax.html)

truckbutt
09-09-2011, 04:02 AM

According to numerous posts on BMW, Lexus and MB boards, S100 is the same as P21S, packaged for motorcycles, 1/2 the price.

umi000
09-09-2011, 04:58 AM
I know apperance and durability are two different things and durability may not be their intended purpose. Some will say if your looking for a long lasting wax then your not caring for your paint. Colonite at 15.00 pretty well has that covered. Has anyone ever done a side by side to see if there is any visual difference for extra money spent? The addition of the BF line got me thinking about all this once I read their disciption of their carnuba. They are really quite funny ads. One wins all the car shows the other causes whiplash and so on. Creative writers!

You might find this interesting reading:

Big Wax Test - Looks Results - Full Review (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79801)

Short summary is that they took a number of identical cars, prepped by the same people working on the same panels, then applied a different product to each - from Collinite to Swissvax and Zymol. They then had a gathering of detailers and detailing enthusiasts rate each car. Results were interesting, to say the least.

rider9195
09-09-2011, 06:09 AM
I highly recommend Midnight Sun. I have used it many times and it is a very easy product to work with. It does have some polymers in it so it will last longer than other carnauba waxes. And for 50 bucks right now, I think it is a good buy.

Oh and did I mention it creates a crazy shine? :props: