PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber care?

Count
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
So I did two interior details last week. And being a newb, I have not yet developed a system to keep track of my towels. So basically right now all the dirty rags are in a pile together. This includes the ones for wiping down the leather, the glass, the door jambs, the dash etc. Now they all were new when I started and I intended to keep them seperate but by the time it was said and done there they lay all together in one pile.

So I have two questions. First what is the preffered method for cleaning them? I have read to NOT use fabric softener. Other than that i don't know what TO use. So if I could have a few suggestions i'd be much abliged.

Next, Hopefully I can get some feed back and/or suggestions as to how you guys keep your stuff organized. I am working out of a 5'×8' utility trailer, so space is limited.

Count

mswerb
09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
I do not separate my dirty towels, but do wash them seperately. I keep anything that is pretty dirty, such as applicator pads used for tires and trim dressing together. Microfiber and terry towels are kept together. I don't use any special detergent when washing. Never use dryer sheets.

clintb
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Don't use anything that can impart a residue, such as fabric softener and dryer sheets. If possible, use non-scented/perfumed detergent.

Separate the really dirty stuff. I'd keep two five gallon buckets, two boxes, two trash bags. Heck, two of anything that you could keep the good microfibers and applicators separate from the crap (rims, etc...) microfibers and applicators (tires). You're already doing a ton of work by correcting a customer's paint, so why risk putting in swirls by washing really dirty stuff with the good?

mjlinane
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I have 2 dedicated buckets for MFs. When starting a detail, I put ~3 gallons of water and 1oz of detergent (each). During the detail, I throw them in to start soaking as I finish with them and let them soak a couple of days. Before throwing them in the washer, I wring them out. If I come across a really dirty one or one I've used wax on, I clean with Dawn Direct Foam and rinse prior to washing.

As for detergents, I like both Pinnacle Microfiber Rejuvenator and DP Microfiber Cleaner in the washing machine (warm wash and 2x cold rinse). I use Purex Free & Clear in the soak buckets.

Jimmie
09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I just keep towels in two categories, and wash each pile separately. First are the towels that absorb H2O (drying; Glass WW). Second, the others that have wax; polish; dressings. It seems when I wash them together the drying towels get clogged and won't absorb as well. When they do get clogged another separate wash always corrects them. I use Micro-Restore by itself.

BillyJack
09-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Recently, I've become a fan of the oxygen power products. Brand-name or generic, they all seem to work well. Once I accumulate a bunch of MF's, I'll toss them in a bucket with the cleaner at pre-soak strength. Let 'em sit overnight, then into the washer with regular laundry detergent and the oxygen stuff added at "laundry booster" proportions. I've never tried any of the dedicated MF cleaners, but this has given me the best results so far.

Bill

Twister
09-09-2011, 10:20 AM
All towels used for product removal, interior cleaning, drying paint, glass cleaning... all go into one place. Dirty job towels like wheel cleaning and real dirty work go into a separate bucket.

I may separate a little more depending on what they were used for

Count
09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank all of you all. Once again the information has been very helpful, i'm pretty sure I can develop my own system using the advice and testimonies you all have shared.

Count

BobbyG
09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
All towels used for product removal, interior cleaning, drying paint, glass cleaning... all go into one place. Dirty job towels like wheel cleaning and real dirty work go into a separate bucket.

Seems like this makes allot of sense.....:props:

clintb
09-09-2011, 10:00 PM

I may separate a little more depending on what they were used forAmend to the bold text, "depending on the interior". :)

Blk5.0
09-09-2011, 11:15 PM

You wash interior towels that have 303 or any other kind of interior protectant with towels used to remove product off paint? I separate my interior and paint towels in fear or damaging paint towels or any kind of cross contamination. So it's safe to wash interior and paint towels together with out harming product removal towels?

Twister
09-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Amend to the bold text, "depending on the interior". :)

That's true. Some people seem to to have a dirtier interior than exterior. Those towels get pre soaked in a bucket or tossed

You wash interior towels that have 303 or any other kind of interior protectant with towels used to remove product off paint? I separate my interior and paint towels in fear or damaging paint towels or any kind of cross contamination. So it's safe to wash interior and paint towels together with out harming product removal towels?

To answer your question you need to know my process. I apply products like 303 with a foam applicator. That applicator gets hand washed in a bucket and rinsed off. The towel I use to buff or wipe down the interior gets washed with my clean towel pile. If interior cleaning what I do with the towel depends on the interior. On my personal cars the towel is still pretty clean and in the clean pile it goes. On someone elses car it depends on the task. If in doubt separate.

It helps to have a color code or something to know what a towel is for. My wheel towels are gray or black. Wheel drying towels are a different type of WW towel. My paint towels are easy to tell apart from general purpose towels even though they are different colors.

Blk5.0
09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I use the cheap auto zone towels for my interior and wheels which are different color than my paint towels. Colored coded makes it way easier.

I only do my car like once a week so I don't have a huge build up of towels and i tend to wash what i have when I'm done would it be ok to let the soak in water with detergent till I can get a huge build up or just best to wash as I use

Twister
09-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I personally wouldn't leave them in there for more than a day but that's me. I usually soak dirty ones for a day and rinse them out and set them aside until I have enough to make a small load.

Reason I don't like to leave them is it ties up a bucket and I worry about them getting moldy or smelly just sitting in the water. DP polishing pad rejuvenator says to replace water weekly. That's what I clean my pads with and soak my towels in

Blk5.0
09-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Cool thanks