PDA

View Full Version : Fall is in the air!! UPGP winter prep ?

CleanGene
09-08-2011, 10:34 AM
With fall just around the corner, I've started thinking about my winter prep. I just polished my truck a couple weeks ago so I'm in good shape as far as that goes. I plan to strip, glaze, seal, and possibly wax. My question is, has anyone had success topping Ultima's Paint Guard Plus with a wax? I've got Collinite 915 in mind.

Pats300zx
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I just did 3 coats of UPGP on my sister's white Toyota and it looked fantastic. I am sure it will hold up through winter. I prepped with Ultima Paint Prep which was a joy to use.

CleanGene
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I just did 3 coats of UPGP on my sister's white Toyota and it looked fantastic. I am sure it will hold up through winter. I prepped with Ultima Paint Prep which was a joy to use.

Yeah, I'm sure the UPGP will hold up well during the winter, but I'm more interested in how well it plays, if at all, with a wax. I like the look of a good carnuba more. Typically waxes don't bond well to sealants and I was hoping that this might be an exception.

shoeless89
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't how well that sealant will bond with a glaze underneath it

CleanGene
09-08-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't how well that sealant will bond with a glaze underneath it

Most manufacturers recommend that you lock glazes in with a sealant or wax. I'll be using Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze.

BobbyG
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
If your finish has been polished and looks good then this is an ideal time to apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus. If you choose to glaze then seal it's certainly an option to pursue.

Can you top this with wax? Yes. After applying a complete coating of Ultima Paint Guard Plus, I let it cure over night and topped with a layer of Collinite 845...it worked perfectly.

Why not all an additional layer of the product?

CleanGene
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks BobbyG. That's what I was looking for, someone who'd had success topping it with a wax.