PDA

View Full Version : leather care?

Pages : [1] 2

flyinion
09-07-2011, 02:24 PM
So I am completely lost on what to use to clean & protect leather. AG has too many options to choose from lol. On my car I was just wiping off the door panels, knee panels, and shifter boot (the only leather I have on my car) with a damp cloth until a few months ago. I "broke down" and picked up a can of Meg's GC wipes at the local auto store. They work ok, though I had to go back and wipe off excess with a clean MF towel. Now though the gf has bought a new car that is leather seating and so I'm really not sure what to use to go about keeping it clean and protected. I'm not sure if those Meg's wipes are ok for something like that or not.

rider9195
09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
If the seats are very clean try cleaning them with some Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel. Garry Dean did a video on this. Then protect it with some Optimum Leather Protectant.

Now if the seats are soiled more, try some Optimum Power Clean 3:1 or Meguiar's APC+ 10:1.

Twister
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I just started using te Leather Master kit. I like it so fair and the finish it leaves is really nice. I hate greasy finishes

ScottB
09-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I moved to LeatherMasters and quite happy, Einszett was nice too.

dtuna42
09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I know they don't sell it here, and it's not really a "premium" brand, kind of cheap OTC stuff, but I really like the smell and feel of leather with Blue Magic 900 and Blue Magic 850. My apologies to our sponsors..

opie_7afe
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
i ordered the lexol leather cleaner+conditioner kit for 15$ from AG i havent tested it on leather seats yet(i dont have leather) but i have tested it on my leather wallet (was way dirty) and worked great. cleaner worked good and the conditioner worked great made leather soft and supple again and restored that leather smell... good product imo. id give it a try if your looking for something not too expensive

flyinion
09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those lexol and leathermaster kits. Obviously since her car is new I'm just in the situation of keeping them clean and then protected, not trying to get them clean in the first place, so that's a bonus. If it was just door and trim panels inside I'd probably have stuck with the Meg's wipes I have till I ran out and had to find something else, but with the seats I wasn't sure. Not from the standpoint of would the Meg's wipes clean them, but the whole safety standpoint of would it make them slippery and unsafe or even something like would it rub off and stain/damage clothing.

opie_7afe
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
not a problem man were here to help others! hope one of those kits is what your looking for!. if you need more information you can always call up autogeek at 1-800-869-3011 to get more indepth info if needed. good luck to you!

seaho
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
If you have the time to let it dwell, I have found Leatherique to work extremely well on old hard leather, or newer, more supple seats and trim. To do its' best, leaving the first stage on for 24-36 hours seems about optimal(in the sun, closed car). It really has done wonders on 15-30 year old seats, which have not been particularly well cared for. Hope this help.

Rav777
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
If the seats are very clean try cleaning them with some Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel. Garry Dean did a video on this. Then protect it with some Optimum Leather Protectant.

Now if the seats are soiled more, try some Optimum Power Clean 3:1 or Meguiar's APC+ 10:1.

How do you like the Optimum leather protectant?

Jenn1270
09-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Leather protectant is wonderful. You just spray it on a microfiber applicator and wipe it on. Easy as that. It has some mild cleaners in it, but I suggest you use something else if your leather is dirty.

Jenn

Rayaz
09-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Optimum Power Clean 4:1 for cleaning, Wolfgang leather conditioner for protection works very well for me. I did a very light colored Mercedes interiour that was in awful condition with this combo with spectacular results.

flyinion
09-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I was debating picking up some OPC so I have some general purpose cleaner for tires, engine bay, etc. If it's safe to use on Nissan leather then that's a bonus.

rider9195
09-08-2011, 03:37 PM
How do you like the Optimum leather protectant?

I have never used it before, but seeing you can just spray it on and wipe it in then pretty much walk away makes one less time I have to go around the car to buff something off. It will be the next leather conditioner I will buy.

Jenn1270
09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I have never used it before, but seeing you can just spray it on and wipe it in then pretty much walk away makes one less time I have to go around the car to buff something off. It will be the next leather conditioner I will buy.

And it smells great too