PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning from the Lehigh Valley

garyg7133
09-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi all. As my username says, my name is Gary and I am somewhat new to the AGO pages. I've been somewhat of a shade-tree detailer for some time but am about to take the plunge into "side-job" status with the eventual plan of opening a small shop. Just in lurking around for the past couple of months I have picked up a wealth of knowledge that has backed up many of my techniques and in some cases shown that I was "doing it all wrong" :P . Very humbling indeed.
Looking forward to getting insights and chatting with everyone. Now excuse me as I go and peruse the forums.

SuperGlide
09-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi Gary !

Welcome from Cleveland, Ohio

Mike Phillips
09-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Hi Gary,

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

I have picked up a wealth of knowledge that has backed up many of my techniques and in some cases shown that I was "doing it all wrong"

When I started out I was doing it all wrong to... I should write the story about my biggest mistake some day...

Anyway, you'll find a lot of great people on this forum always willing to chime in and help out...

:xyxthumbs:

tuscarora dave
09-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi Gary, welcome from rainy Harrisburg PA.

garyg7133
09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks everybody !
Dave I just took a look at your site. Your hood picture is amazing. Stuff like that is what makes me enjoy detailing as much as I do. Taking the car from "before" to "after" is something I never get tired of.

tuscarora dave
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Gary. If you haven't seen this thread yet, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/40472-repairing-other-guy-s-work.html Take a look at the damage that has been corrected on this car. These kind of turnarounds make me proud to be in this group here at AG as well. I learned it all here and took that knowledge out to the job and practiced it over and over and each year I get better at doing this stuff. It's nice to get the customer's reaction to these kind of transformations.

BobbyG
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Gary!

We all start like everyone else; at the beginning.

With some reading and doing you'll be amazed at how much knowledge and experience you'll have under your belt and will continue to add to this for the rest of your life.. :props:

phantom
09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
You know what gave me the initiative to buy a buffer (Cyclo) and start doing my own cars? i was at a fancy, drive thru car wash where they also "detail" customers cars. they were showing someone how to buff on a customer's car. I said if that guy can do it, so can I. I still have a lot to learn. I'd love to go to classes in the metro NY area.

Meghan
09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
:welcome:

garyg7133
09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Phantom, my initiative to buy my first cheapie buffer (which will be replaced in the coming weeks) was that I spent so much time hand detailing my first new car that my arms would hurt from buffing. What gave me the initiative to go from shade tree to part-timer for extra cash (to who knows?) was my wife. I talk about it all the time and I am constantly looking at cars in parking lots and evaluating what I could do to correct things on them. She finally pushed me over the top with "would you stop talking about going into business and just TRY it?".
Dave I just looked at the link. Holy smoke. That car was a disaster. Like myself, I'm sure it flat-out annoyed you to see that kind of work.....

alko
09-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Gary!

garyg7133
09-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks everybody for the warm reception. Now it's time to do some gear shopping ;)