PDA

View Full Version : I think I've got a plan... Adjustments? Technique?

Pages : [1] 2

Wes8398
09-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Ok, here's what I'm going to be working on:
2004 Mazda3 - My practice/warm-up car. Highway commuter. Showing some slight oxidation and generally rough paint conditions.
2006 Caddy CTS-V - My baby that got all swirled up by a local detailer that didn't know what he was doing (which led me here).

Once AG puts on a sale that I can't pass up, I'll be doing my first correction jobs on these vehicles. The plan is to be using GG's DA with LC hydro tech pads (6.5" and 3.5"), m105, m205, optimum poliseal, and collinite 845.

Any suggestions about which pads to use when and with which products? Should I add a couple Surbuf pads incase the cyan HT pads and the m105 don't cut it? Other suggestions, tips, or tricks with these particular products? (yes, I've read the awesome post on 845)

Thanks for any input.

silverfox
09-07-2011, 06:45 AM
The HT pads work very well on most paint. I'd get several cyan, tangerine and crimson pads if you aren't going to consider Megs MF discs.

I think you will find that as far as compounding goes, unless you are a seasoned veteran at using M105, I'd recommend going with MF cutting disc/D300 combo than with 105 and foam. The D300 combo with the MF cutting pad works amazingly well, and finishes so well that you can probably skip the M205 step altogether...and go right to Poli-Seal step. Collinite is a given.

I'd keep it simple...and the Megs MF correction system makes it about as simple as it gets. We are talking about commuter cars in this case, right..?...so unless your goal is serious show car-type correction, I think the M105 thing is something I'd pass on. Also, some waxes don't play well with some sealants, so I'd make sure that Poli Seal will play with Collinte.

Wes8398
09-07-2011, 07:00 AM
The main reason that I'm shying away from the megs MF kit is because I've heard numerous reports that it doesn't remove harsh swirling as well as 105 with foam. A fellow member suggested the MF kit as well as 105 and 205, but I am trying to keep this as simple (and effective) as possible, and that just seems too cluttered.

Buckskincolt
09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
The main reason that I'm shying away from the megs MF kit is because I've heard numerous reports that it doesn't remove harsh swirling as well as 105 with foam. A fellow member suggested the MF kit as well as 105 and 205, but I am trying to keep this as simple (and effective) as possible, and that just seems too cluttered.

Keep in mind the 105/205 combo is harder to use and lots of correction works does not require them. Not saying that many here don't use them for light work, saying they have a learning curve and for a beginner they might be a little discouraging.

So Far I'm not a huge fan of the MF system (this is where I get flamed) but being as the pads are so sensitive to the machine speeds you must run them on the slow side or you will tear them up (i have experience doing this:(). I've had better luck with the WG twins (no they are not the answer for everything) but they are very easy to use and give awesome results. That said the MF system is Supper easy to use, makes it a 2 step process that you don't need to do anything more and will give you amazing results. For a beginner IMO it is very easy and you will be impressed with the results.

If you are sticking with HT pads (great choice) I'd get at least 3 Cyan, 3 Tangerine, and 2 Crimson. 1 thing I would do for sure is invest in a 5" backing plate and get the 5.5" pads rather than the 6.5". Easier to use, & better correction. I think you meant to say 4" pads not 3.5" .... the backing plate for the 4" pads is a 3.5". those small pads are very handy for tight area's and IMO a must have.

I think you will be OK with 845 over poli seal but be sure to wait for the poli seal to cure 12 hours before topping with 845.

flamed03vert
09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Isn't 845IW considered a hybrid sealant anyways?

ThirdgenTa
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
The mazda 6 isn't going to be too bad. I did this one a little bit ago. I use Menzerna polishes though.
I used power lock topped with 845. Even just the 845 will look really nice.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/37476-2003-mazda-6-a.html

Buckskincolt
09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Isn't 845IW considered a hybrid sealant anyways?

Even if you two coat a sealant you should wait 12 hours between coats otherwise the first coat is not curred and the top coat will just break down the first coat. Some call 845 a wax, others call it a sealant, yet others call it a hybrid ...... No matter what you call it it works very well!

flamed03vert
09-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Even if you two coat a sealant you should wait 12 hours between coats otherwise the first coat is not curred and the top coat will just break down the first coat. Some call 845 a wax, others call it a sealant, yet others call it a hybrid ...... No matter what you call it it works very well!

I concur:dblthumb2:

Wes8398
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info so far guys. Much appreciated.

Can some others weigh in on 105/205 versus the MF system in terms of swirl removal?

Wes8398
09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Ok guys. Having a real hard time deciding between the Megs MF and my original plan which was LC HT pads, m105, m205, etc. Here are a few pics of what I'm dealing with. It's pretty rough, unfortunately. I talked to a guy at a local body shop who knows his stuff. He said he could get it swirl free and looking great for $300, but that would only be with a circular polisher. He didn't think a DA with foam pads with any compound would be able to cut this damage. What do you guys think?

Buckskincolt
09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Did you look at the pictures in
My link I posted earlier in this thread? Your paint doesn't look any worse than those and look at the results! For $300 you can buy a DA and some fine products to keep care of you vehicles. IMO You can easily correct this with a DA. You have my thoughts in earlier posts and your pictures have not changed my thoughts.

dad07
09-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok guys. Having a real hard time deciding between the Megs MF and my original plan which was LC HT pads, m105, m205, etc. Here are a few pics of what I'm dealing with. It's pretty rough, unfortunately. I talked to a guy at a local body shop who knows his stuff. He said he could get it swirl free and looking great for $300, but that would only be with a circular polisher. He didn't think a DA with foam pads with any compound would be able to cut this damage. What do you guys think?

Looks like the guy at the body shop dosent use a da at All. Because if he did he would know that your problem is correctable via da with the right products.If you want to do this yourself then dive in and get-r-done!

Wes8398
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Buckskincolt - I didn't/don't see pictures of yours, sorry. I definitely value your opinion, so thank you.

Now, are the right products for me the Megs DA system, or my original plan.... That's the question that remains. I'll keep waiting for a sale that sways me one way or the other. :)

Buckskincolt
09-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I owe you an apology! it was in another thread I posted this link http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/20999-review-new-hydro-tech-6-5-pads.html

I thought I had posted this in here too so you could see the correction ability of the WG twin polishes and the HT pads ..... Very sorry for not getting this to you and asking if you had seen something that I never posted. :doh:

Hope this link helps you out a bit.

And again back to you original question, IF you go HT pads go the 5.5" not the 6.5" for a DA the same goes for the MF system. I think for ease of use the mf system is the answer but I seem to always find myself back to the HT pads and reaching for the Wolfgang polishes ...... but that's just me .... Once again no matter what you choose go with the 5.5" system.

Yale

embolism
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I'd go 5.5 inch MF system. Those cutting pads and D300 are very impressive, especially on hard clear (don't forget a bug sponge to clean the MF pads).

hydrotechs will still work with the meg's bp that comes with the system so also get some 5.5 inch tangerines and crimsons for finishing and one steppers.

I like poliseal and agree that after cutting and D300, you can go straight to poliseal and tangerine, then top with 845 the next day.