PDA

View Full Version : Help with water spot ecthing- Windshield

dtuna42
09-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Family member bought used BMW Z4. I hope to be involved with cleaning it up soon, but I need some advice on the windshield etching. I have searched and read about several products and procedures, but I would like to know if anyone has had any success using regular car paint compounds by hand or machine. I have a rotary, PC-DA, and can work by hand also. I have M105, UC, ScratchX, and several other polishes and cleaners. Basically, what I would like to know is, can I make any progress without buying a dedicated windshield kit?Feed back please

Kristopher1129
09-06-2011, 11:12 PM
You could try some polish. I wouldn't do compound, I don't think it's necessary.

Bates Detailing
09-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Depends on how long the water spots have been on there..... I had a gentleman ask me to remove water spots that had been there for years and I had to use a very aggressive compound to remove them (took forever too). Otherwise - recent, I agree with Kris :dblthumb2:

IOMCAMARO
09-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Before resorting to any compounding/polishing, I would mix up a 50/50 of water and vinegar and see if that will get these spots out.