PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have trouble getting dressing to stay on Continental DWS tires?

Silverstone
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I've heard other Conti DWS owners talk about the heavy white coating on the sidewalls of these tires, and when I put a dressing on mine - 303, Pinnacle, and Optimum brand dressings so far - each one comes right off in the first or second rain and the tire is all white again.
I scrubbed them with Mothers tire/wheel cleaner before application to be sure they were clean, but still...

And these are the tires that I scrubbed the smooth sidewall rubber off of trying to get the white off after the Pinnacle was not going on right and kept coming off too easily.

Has anyone else had trouble getting dressing to stick on these tires? (Continental DWS)

CrownKote
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I've heard other Conti DWS owners talk about the heavy white coating on the sidewalls of these tires, and when I put a dressing on mine - 303, Pinnacle, and Optimum brand dressings so far - each one comes right off in the first or second rain and the tire is all white again.
I scrubbed them with Mothers tire/wheel cleaner before application to be sure they were clean, but still...

And these are the tires that I scrubbed the smooth sidewall rubber off of trying to get the white off after the Pinnacle was not going on right and kept coming off too easily.

Has anyone else had trouble getting dressing to stick on these tires? (Continental DWS)

Heard of this problem... Try using something like Purple power let dwell for about 5 min scrub then rinse then use it again allowing to dwell again scrub then rinse dry then dress...

fancyfootwork
09-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I've had these tires for about 6 months now and have never had a problem with dressing staying on. I have only used DP tire gloss, works great.

tapp1
09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Are you referring to this Tire? http://image.superchevy.com/f/31549923+w750+st0/sucp_0912_03_z+continental_performance_tires+DWS_t ires.jpg

I have them on my Volvo S60 and noticed some white on the sidewalls, and yes the dressing does seem to fade rather quickly compared to my old Firestones.

Silverstone
09-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Yeah Tapp that's them (they're great tires). After two drives in light rain the rear tires are light grey already. They look like I drove through a bunch of cement powder. And I had scrubbed them clean with that tire cleaner before dressing. I thought it was what they put on to make the tire not stick to the mold, but now it seems to be coming from inside. I can wipe it away with my fingers, leaving dark streaks behind. But it just keeps coming back.

Crowncoat: So you think the purple power is stronger than Mothers tire cleaner?

CrownKote
09-07-2011, 06:46 AM
That is all I use for tires to clean them for jobs and trust me I see a lot of nasty tires... I use it at full strength and let it dwell... Some of the new BMW's are coming with the DWS on them and they all have that grey haze to them... I have yet to have any complaints from any customers about the tire turning grey again...

I do the Purple Power cleaning regimine then once dry I use (I know don't freak out) Armor All tire foam (spray on let sit till foam has gone then buff off), then I dress with DP tire gel (allow to sit and buff off right before delivery)...

Works on all tires to give them that nice new shine...

dtuna42
09-07-2011, 08:33 AM
No problems here.. I used Meguiar's (I think Gold Class Endurance tire gel?) wiped it on them once, about 6 months ago, still on there but I don't like them too shiny so I don't reapply very often. Try cleaning the tires with Wesley's Bleche White first. Kind of works like a primer does for paint...

FUNX650
09-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I've heard other Conti DWS owners talk about the heavy white coating on the sidewalls of these tires

And these are the tires that I scrubbed the smooth sidewall rubber off of trying to get the white off

Has anyone else had trouble getting dressing to stick on these tires? (Continental DWS).

White coating on tire's sidewalls....This is different...Usually it's the "browning" we most often hear about.

The latest version Conti DWS are considered to be rather good tires....especially on wet/snowy pavements....and are smooth riding with low road noise. Sharp cornering is not so enjoyable. These are the tires on my '98 P/U.

IMO....What gives the Conti DWS these attributes is the "thinner"( not as stiff, if you will) sidewall make-up for smoother-riding/low road noise; excellent tread design for wet/snowy conditions; and the 'beveled' shoulder blocks that contributes to the less than desired footprint needed for sharp cornering/turning.

As everyone knows...Carbon black is used in tire manufacturing to not only to have a 'black' tire, but also to fight back against the rages of UV damage. As it keeps migrating to the surface of the tire the UV exposure will cause it to 'gray/white'. This gray/white isn't as noticable because at the same time the antiozonants the tire manufactuers incorporate into the tires will also migrate (bloom) to the tire surfaces as a 'brown' hue.

My thoughts are: Could it be that by the extra abrasion that occurred when: "scrubbed the smooth sidewall rubber off of trying to get the white off" also further reduced the already "thinner" sidewall of the Conti DWS, thus compromising the affectiveness of the carbon black/UV inhibitors, as well as the antiozonants, to the point of no return?

If so, this could indicate that the 'end-of-life-cycle' for these tires may be fast approaching. I know that I'd keep a close watch for any checking, splitting, cracking, etc. if these were mine.

I usually don't recommend this treatment, but if you are going to keep these tires for a little while longer, and you want them to look 'black' between your tire cleaning sessions, you
may try this, if you so wish to:

-Make sure the tires are clean and dry
-Apply Black Again per directions
-Follow that application with Meguiar's #42

This, like many other tire dressings applications is not permanent, but it may help your wanting your tires to look 'black' until they are replaced.

Good Luck!

Bob

Flash Gordon
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM
The tires they use on the SS Camaro won't take a shine either. Its like theres a coating on them or something