PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do Leather/ Vinyl & Fabric Repairs?

ShineTimeDetail
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I've been wanting to learn but don't know where to look. I looked at going to a class with detail king this weekend bc I'm going up there to buy a van tomorrow but a $1000 is not a very friendly price for me lol.

Any help would be awesome!

guess23959
09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
i remember awhile back seeing a tv commercial for liquid leather. they showed the guy repairing a seat, a top of a car, and a bomber jacket. looked good but i never tried it myself. try giving that a shot?

dtuna42
09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I ran into a guy at a car dealership. His mobile business is going to dealers to repair leather (and fabric I assume) seats on the lot. He only charges $80 per panel / section, so I have to assume there isn't much overhead to his business. I had him replace the pieces from seat-backs where TV monitor screens used to be - they are hi-back buckets, not head rests.
So the whole point of this story is just to suggest, if you get no better ideas, you could ask your nearest dealership who they use, and maybe that guy can send you in the right direction..

Trevor
09-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Do a quick search for liquid leather on amazon..not good reviews at all. I have no solutions but I hope someone else can chime in. I have vinyl seats that are starting to crack a little and am wondering what I can do as well. I'll keep following your thread.

vinyldoctor
09-06-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't do cloth, but I bought and learned the VinylPro system.
Now I can do vinyl and leather repair well. it's sort of expensive to learn a professional system. you need supplys and some classes, unless you are self taugh. but I frequently have to redo another "techs" repairs, a lot look like a walmart or ebay kit job. unmatched, patchy, stuff you can see from quite a distance, let alone standing next to it. If I do my job right, you can't even see what I did. the hardest part for me to learn was the color matching at first. I earn around 65.00 per job. if I am doing work for a auto dealership I sometimes will drop prices down to 35.00 per repair. as long as there is not a lot of damage, I have left a 6 hour day on a car lot with almost earning 1000.00
I am going to buy a color spectroscope to help me make a perfect color match. instead of playing around trying to match a color, I let the scanner see it, and it tells me the formula to mix up.
worst part is the heat out here, can get up to 130 degrees, which is fun sitting on a lot in a 150 degree car working with chemicals that cure at around 1000 degrees.