PDA

View Full Version : Prima

lkotsios
09-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Is prima amigo acrylic based?

FUNX650
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM

I sense you are hell-bent-for-leather in finding the truth. J/K :)
(I usually am also!)

So:
If I told you: Yes..or..No...Would you believe it?
If the Prima folks told you: Yes..or..No...Would you believe it?

I might be approaching this "bass-ackwards"...But...What are acrylics, acrylic polymers, acrylic polymer emulsions, and even polymers (among others)? How are any of these applicable to the car care products one is interested in using?
(Often a quick google here and there will provide some basic info. That and a few MSDS. < Sorry I couldn't help myself :))

Or maybe think of it this way:

Many people (I tend to think of Chemists) have spent most of their adult lives to become well-versed in such matters. I'm not one of those people that has done so...I bet you don't want to do that either!

Most car care products have "proprietary ingredients"...it's not easy obtaining a lot of information.

So who do you, or can you, trust?

Hey...just an idea...Why not ask the Prima folks for a sample size of Amigo and have a go at it!

Just saying. :)

Bob

lkotsios
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I have tried amigo but I don't have other glazes to compare it to. I am thinking of trying wet glaze 2.0 next, any opinions on wet glaze?

mg6045
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM
I sense you are hell-bent-for-leather in finding the truth. J/K :)
(I usually am also!)

So:
If I told you: Yes..or..No...Would you believe it?
If the Prima folks told you: Yes..or..No...Would you believe it?

I might be approaching this "bass-ackwards"...But...What are acrylics, acrylic polymers, acrylic polymer emulsions, and even polymers (among others)? How are any of these applicable to the car care products one is interested in using?
(Often a quick google here and there will provide some basic info. That and a few MSDS. < Sorry I couldn't help myself :))

Or maybe think of it this way:

Many people (I tend to think of Chemists) have spent most of their adult lives to become well-versed in such matters. I'm not one of those people that has done so...I bet you don't want to do that either!

Most car care products have "proprietary ingredients"...it's not easy obtaining a lot of information.

So who do you, or can you, trust?

Hey...just an idea...Why not ask the Prima folks for a sample size of Amigo and have a go at it!

Just saying. :)

Bob

so your basically saying since your not a chemist, you are not smart enough to ask a question like so. Just shut up and try the product and decide if you like it.

of course in what you consider a nice way. But it turns out to be another rude and ridiculous post from you, in a sly way as usual.

if the chemical is proprietary and not to be shared, leave that up to Prima to answer imo. (btw, I asked Nick @Prima the same question the other week regarding Hydro Seal, and he kindly answered my question with the fact, with no drama involved.)

john b
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
i am sure nick will answer the post

mg6045
09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I have tried amigo but I don't have other glazes to compare it to. I am thinking of trying wet glaze 2.0 next, any opinions on wet glaze?

I personally think Prima is one of the better glaze products out that you can securely apply a sealant over and have it still hold up.

FUNX650
09-06-2011, 06:09 PM
so your basically saying since your not a chemist, you are not smart enough to ask a question like so. Just shut up and try the product and decide if you like it.

No. That's not what I said.

of course in what you consider a nice way. But it turns out to be another rude and ridiculous post from you, in a sly way as usual.

You are entitled to your opinion, which, by the way, as you seem to regard my posts, I don't highly regard either.

if the chemical is proprietary and not to be shared, leave that up to Prima to answer imo. (btw, I asked Nick @Prima the same question the other week regarding Hydro Seal, and he kindly answered my question with the fact, with no drama involved.)

If you are satisfied with Nick@Prima's answers then you have answered the question:

"Who do you, or can you, trust"?

FYI: The OP and I have had previous discussions in regards to Prima Amigo. If he would of had a problem with anything that had been discussed, I'm sure his approach to clear up any misunderstandings would have been entirely different than what has been demonstrated in your post.

But thanks for trying to stir up some fond memories of our prior encounters.

OP: Excuse me for this mini-hi-jack, as I'm sure it hasn't been of no further assistance to your inquiry.
I'm staying subscribed to your thread anyway....no matter what obstacles that try to get in my way.....:)

Bob

Meghan
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Guys lets keep this on topic and not attack each other, please.

john b
09-06-2011, 07:08 PM
bob i have always enjoyed your posts.recently used prima amigo and epic stnthetic wax togrther-i played around with the amigo with alot of different pads and speeds and it worked great no matter what i tried.

Nick@Prima
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
No, it is not. It's roughly a combo of cleaners, resins and emulsifiers.

Why do you ask? Are you looking for a particular result or seeing something that you are trying to quantify?

embolism
09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
So Amigo is an AIO?

any abrasives?

I'm trying to decide if I should incorporate it into my winter prep or just wait until spring to use it.

lkotsios
09-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Why do you ask? Are you looking for a particular result or seeing something that you are trying to quantify?
I was curious to see what an acrylic looks like on paint, having tried prima I like the look and I thought it might be acrylic. How many passes with a pc should I do on speed 4 also does the fine abrassive in prima need breaking down as I work it?

FUNX650
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Nick:

Although I personally have read the description (listed below) of this product several times, I still want to say....Thanks....for your response and clarification in regards to Prima Amigo.

Prima Amigo (in part reads):
"Paint cleansers deeply cleanse the paint....
.....Fillers and concealers even out minor paint imperfections for flawless reflection"

And:
"Prima Amigo is amazingly unique. It is a paintwork cleanser...It is a polymer-based glaze... It is even a super-fine polish....
.....Mild cleaners in Amigo break up oxidation and remove "dead" paint....Embedded grime is gently lifted from the surface.... As a polymer-based glaze, it fills slight imperfection"...

:)

Bob

Nick@Prima
09-16-2011, 05:47 PM
So Amigo is an AIO?

any abrasives?

I'm trying to decide if I should incorporate it into my winter prep or just wait until spring to use it.

I don't call it an AIO, because I don't feel it offers the durability one would expect from that type of product. It does contain a touch of polymer (Prima Epic) which is why you are able to seal in the fill. Although I would say you get some protection from Amigo, the polymer is there more as a "getting along with others" agent for a traditional sealant.

The abrasives are super-fine. They are there more for cleaning than anything else. I wouldn't count on any correction.

I was curious to see what an acrylic looks like on paint, having tried prima I like the look and I thought it might be acrylic. How many passes with a pc should I do on speed 4 also does the fine abrassive in prima need breaking down as I work it?

The abrasive is very-much broken down. Your goal with Amigo is to clean, shine and fill. If you are cleaning and shining, a higher speed with a courser pad is best. The more you want to fill, the softer the pad and the slower you run. You want to get down some material to facilitate a fill. Of course if your paint is clean and in fairly good shape, Amigo on a white pad with the PC running on 4.5 is the standard setup. Work a 2'x2' section for 30-45 seconds and move on. You can remove residue from each section as you go, but I do the entire vehicle, clean my pad, then remove Amigo.