PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting a PC7424XP setup

Pages : [1] 2

John1988
09-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey everyone, I'm very interested in getting a PC7424XP, wanted one for a couple years now but never got around to it. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what products are best for me as there seems to be hundreds to choose from, it's quite overwhelming. First things first- I'm on a budget of $200-$250 and keep in mind I have no experience with DA polishers, so ease of use is another factor for now. My truck is a 2007 Tundra Double Cab Blue Streak Metallic, paint is in good shape, just has some hairline swirls. I will also be detailing a neglected Black 2008 Tundra Crew Max with moderate swirls + holograms. Any idea how many extra pads & colors I might need to finish a Tundra? I heard pads get saturated and loose their cutting power and what not. I would like to use the least agressive products possible too.

Some setups I'm considering:

Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html) + more pads

or

PC7424XP + Meguiars 205 & 105 + more pads

or

PC7424XP + Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System + more pads

I was really thinking of getting the Meguiars DA MF Correction System, since it seems simple and faster untill I came across these videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKehndD2huc]Meguiar's MF D A Correction system vs a BMW Jerez Black M3 - YouTube[/video]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCut03xrLNg]Gannon Mobile Auto Detailing AZ - YouTube[/video]

The above results are not what I'm aiming for. I am hoping they used the wrong techniques? I have seen other videos of this setup working much better, but those vids brought out my doubts of this setup...

Is there any difference between the PC7424XP and Meguiars DA polisher? Btw, how many times can I polish with a DA untill it starts to ruin the CC/paint?

If there is anything I missed or you guys want to change up please do so, I'm not exactly sure what I need at this point to get started.

Another thing I'm looking for is some exterior vinyl, rubber, and plastic trim protectant/restorer that will NOT run down the paint when it rains. Someone from another forum recommended using Einzett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant Tiefenpfledger?

Sorry for the long post and many questions. I'm very eager to get started!

Thanks!

silverfox
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I would not judge the DA MF correction system based on those videos. Black BMW paint is a PITA to work with, so take that video with a huge grain of salt (did they really know how to get the most out of the system?)...seems they were selling a music video?

The Megs DA polisher is a step above the PCxp, although both will give excellent results. If I had the choice I'd go with the Megs unit.

I'd have the 5" MF correction system as well as an assortment of 5.5" foam pads. That way, you have all the bases covered. Sometimes foam pads will finish down better than the MF discs will. Also, some really soft, black paint on some manufacturers will mar using the MF finishing disc...so foam is again a better choice to finish down with in some cases.

John1988
09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
How aggressive is the polish that comes with the Megs MF system compared to 105/205? Again my Tundra just has a bit of hairline swirls, so I'd like to use the least aggressive approach. Don't want to wear down my CC, always hear people complaining how thin the Tundras CC and paint is.

I also plan on getting (more) foam pads down the road. What colors would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mg6045
09-06-2011, 06:04 PM
The first car got respectable correction. I'm sure 1 more go with the compound (or more pressure on the first section) would have cleared everything up. It just seems like the guy did not utilize the full potential of what the system could do. But I would call it respectable.

The second guy is just a sad case. Crazy that he runs a mobile detail shop. He hardly worked the compound and did an entire half of hood at once. which means each area got worked minimally. Just horrific technique on the second vid.

It it was me, I would choose the MF correction system over the M105. Than I would also pick up a small bottle of M205 (8oz) to test as a substitute for the Finishing wax.

mg6045
09-06-2011, 06:05 PM
btw, this product will work for trim,

Einzett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant Tiefenpfledger

and NO, its wont run in the rain. I checked and its on sale at AG. very easy to use. There is a review on it on the review subforum.

John1988
09-06-2011, 07:03 PM
The first car got respectable correction. I'm sure 1 more go with the compound (or more pressure on the first section) would have cleared everything up. It just seems like the guy did not utilize the full potential of what the system could do. But I would call it respectable.

The second guy is just a sad case. Crazy that he runs a mobile detail shop. He hardly worked the compound and did an entire half of hood at once. which means each area got worked minimally. Just horrific technique on the second vid.

It it was me, I would choose the MF correction system over the M105. Than I would also pick up a small bottle of M205 (8oz) to test as a substitute for the Finishing wax.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that those were not the absolute best possible outcomes with the Megs system. Are you supposed to use M105 & M205 together or can one of them just be used? Which is better for light swirling 105 or 205? I might just order a 8oz. of either to test out. Another thing I was wondering about is, I see them cleaning the MF pads with a air compressor, which I don't have access too. Will that Megs brush alone be sufficient to clean the pads while polishing?

Is this the correct order to detail paint?
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Wax
5. Final sealant? What is a sealant? I always thought wax is supposed to be the sealant, or is it different?

Kurt_s
09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Another thing I'm looking for is some exterior vinyl, rubber, and plastic trim protectant/restorer that will NOT run down the paint when it rains. Someone from another forum recommended using Einzett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant Tiefenpfledger?

Thanks!
Have not tried the Einzett.

Ulimate Trim and Tire Guard or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant are working well in my hands. Both hold up to rain and car washes well.

PCXP thoughts
I'm happy with my PCXP but others prefer the Megs and Griot's units. Maybe I'm just fat and happy at this point.

You will probably want some foam pads no matter what you do. I suggest 5.5" instead of 6.5" Flat pads. I personally don't like CCS pads. Polish and compounds gum up in the recesses.

I mainly use LC, B&S and HydroTech flat pads.

The LC and B&S are pretty similar.
HTs tend to cut and finish a little better and use less chemical. They tend to wear a bit faster too but they aren't too expensive.
I typically use 3-4 orange (light cut), 2-3 white (polish) and 1-2 red flat foam pads for a vehicle. More for bigger and less for smaller vehicles.
If you drop a pad, you will need to clean it before using it again so keep a reserve.
You may want black finishing pads for finish polishing soft black paints.
It's cheaper to buy a larger set which you can mix and match colors.
For small volume pad cleaning, I like the XMT pad cleaner (get the pad conditioner too). Megs APC+ tends to do a pretty good job too.

I used a competitor's MF pad system last year which worked pretty well. I still finished with a foam pad. I finally used a Surbuf pad a couple weeks ago. It removed swirls faster than anything else I've used to date with a DA. A great product to have on hand.

I like M105 for a compound which I originally picked up to remove bird etching and water spots from a friend's car when other compounds wouldn't cut it. I have M205 but usually use Optimum or Wolfgang polishes because I have used them for more years. The WG twins are quite nice (FG 3.0 finishes very well) especially if you can get them on sale. I might buy the Menzerna polishes but I don't use them enough to warrant buying a liter of product. The WG twins are made by Menzerna for WG.

If you need an OTC compound on the weekend and your AG shipment arrives on Tuesday, Megs Ultimate Compound at the auto parts store is pretty darn good. Pep Boys and about $10 in a pinch.

How many times can you polish a car before you ruin the paint? It depends on paint thickness, aggressiveness, pad, compound, etc. Rub sand into a cutting pad before compounding you can count on ruining the paint the first time. Work clean and use a finishing pad and finishing polish, and the answer is near forever.

Kurt_s
09-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that those were not the absolute best possible outcomes with the Megs system. Are you supposed to use M105 & M205 together or can one of them just be used? Which is better for light swirling 105 or 205? I might just order a 8oz. of either to test out. Another thing I was wondering about is, I see them cleaning the MF pads with a air compressor, which I don't have access too. Will that Megs brush alone be sufficient to clean the pads while polishing?

Is this the correct order to detail paint?
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Wax
5. Final sealant? What is a sealant? I always thought wax is supposed to be the sealant, or is it different?

The Megs Twins are very good. M105 is a strong compound. M205 is a polish. You can vary the pad aggressiveness and the chemical (compound/polish) depending on the paint. You might remove light swirls with the M205 and an orange pad (depending on your definition of light). You might need M105. You will probably want to polish after using a cutting pad.

The Hydrotech pads seem to cut and finish better than standard flat foam pads with the same chemicals. Get a stiff brush to brush dried polish and spent paint from the pad. Get a cotton terry towel to clean the pad on the fly.

Order of detail.

Wash
Clay
Polish or Compound
Polish/Finish Polish
Remove residual polish (if necessary)
LSP (wax, sealant, permanent coatings)
Some people use a sealant first and top with a wax.

Waxes are either natural or synthetic (man-made). Carnauba is a common natural wax for cars (sometimes the also include other waxes like bees wax). Synthetic waxes tend to act like sealants and synthetic-carnauba combination waxes are often called hybrids. Sealants are synthetic polymers such as acrylic that cross link to provide a barrier.

Kurt_s
09-06-2011, 08:23 PM
One other thought. When correcting, you will probably need one cutting pad per section.

These pads can either be fresh, clean pads or a pad that is cleaned during the process. I had to clean my pads often since I didn't have enough pads to correct. If you consider the following sections:
Hood - 1 pad
Roof - 1 pad
Trunk - 1 pad
Left side - 1-2 pads
Right side - 1-2 pads

When it's really hot, I seem to go through more pads. If your pad is still damp from cleaning, I've seen heat build up in the middle of the pad and the resulting steam destroys the pad from the inside.

I use far fewer pads when polishing than when cutting.

T.O.C.
09-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Personally I would recommend the Griots with the Megs M/F system.To start.Toyota's have a fairly forgivable clear coat and with what your describing you wont really need much more.As your skill and confidence grow then move up to some foam pads and other compounds and polishes. and if you end up like the rest of us you'll have to build a second garage to hold your supplies.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Dude is using the Flex 3401 with the MF system which you DO NOT want to use with the MF system. Bad example. The other guy using the PCxp just doesn't know what he's doing. :p

The Meg's MF system is revolutionary! I'd suggest using it with the G110v2 which is an excellent polisher.

John1988
09-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Now I'm stuck on deciding between PC7424xp and Meguiars g110v2... I really like the handle, bag, and overall look of the Megs, but been reading of it having reliability issues in the past.

John1988
09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Now I'm stuck on deciding between PC7424xp and Meguiars g110v2... I really like the handle, bag, and overall look of the Megs, but been reading of it having reliability issues in the past.

Well after hours of reading reviews and comparisons I finally decided on the Megs DA polisher, only to find out it's on backorder doh! Oh well, it seems they are overall the same thing, and I was doubting the Megs DA reliability- as the PC is tried and true according to many people. Therefore I will be ordering the PC7424XP with the Megs DA microfiber system.

One final question, the Meguiars DA microfiber system comes with a 5 Inch Backing Plate - W67DA. Is this backing plate specifically made to be used with their MF pads? Or can I use 5.5inch foam pads on it also? Want to know if I will need to order another 5inch backing plate, if I wanted to use foam pads too.

John1988
09-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Sorry everyone, not trying to spam. But I finally finished my setup! Think I just spent 5+ hours straight reading forums, youtube, reviews, etc lol.

This is what I was going to order:

-PC7424XP
-Meguiars Microfiber DA Correction System 5 inch starter set
-Lake Country CCS 6 pack DA pads
-8oz. M105
-8oz. M205
-Einszette Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant

Last minute change up:

-PC7424XP Polisher Combo (3x CCS orange pads, Pinnacle Swirl Remover #2, Pinnacle Carnauba Finishing Glaze) + Free DVD
-Lake Country CCS 6 pack DA pads (3x White, 2x Gray, 1x Blue)
-Pinnacle Swirl Remover #1
-Einszette Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant
-Einszette Cockpit Premium

So I thought this setup would be more budget friendly and consistent for me. I read an older thread and a AG rep recommended starting out with foam pads before moving onto MF. I also don't have access to a air compressor or brushes to deal with cleaning the MF pads. This is just the beginning, so I'm sure I'll have better/more products to use later on with more experience.

Anyways, placing my order now! I can't wait to start! :buffing:
Thanks everyone for your help!

Buckskincolt
09-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I think you would have been much happier with the Hydro-tech pads but other than that looks like a very nice place to start. I'm sure you will have good success! :buffing: