PDA

View Full Version : Promptness...

Pages : [1] 2

CrownKote
09-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry but I have to :rant: ...

In the last 2 weeks I think I have only had 3 out of my 25 scheduled customers show up on time! Why do people think that they can show up when ever they dang well feel like it? What is the point of setting up an appointment for a specific time? And why do people not feel the need to even show up, call, or email if they need to cancel? Come on folks be responsible!

When one person shows up late on a tight schedule then it makes me have to choose one of three things:

1. Still provide the same quality and take the proper time causing other customers that are scheduled a "late start" (this could cause the second client to become aggravated)

2. Speed through the steps and possibly sacrifice quality but ensuring that the next customer's car is priority when it arrives not allowing a delay (this could potentially give my shop the title of "hack")

3. Advise the customer that due to the tardiness a reschedule will be required as to still provide the proper quality of service to them and my other clients (this could have potential of pissing the client off and them not returning for service)

What do you do in circumstances like this?

I am a fixed location and it is just me at this time... I see growth in the future but not in the next few months... I guess that people may be busy in their lives but that is why there are things like appointments... And that is why I send out a reminder email 2 days in advance and call the day before to remind them...

:rant:

BobbyG
09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I agree Chris!

Appointments are necessary for you to schedule work flow ensuring that another customer doesn't feel mistreated. Appointments require commitment from both you and the customer and there are ramifications to canceling without proper notification..

Try not showing up to a doctors or dentist appointment without canceling....

CrownKote
09-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree Chris!

Appointments are necessary for you to schedule work flow ensuring that another customer doesn't feel mistreated. Appointments require commitment from both you and the customer and there are ramifications to canceling without proper notification..

Try not showing up to a doctors or dentist appointment without canceling....

Very true! My wife said that we should start charging a cancellation fee to those that "no call no show"... I think that would be good but at the same time it would be bad...

The good:
It allows the customer to know that our time and their time is valuable and that if they decide that they need not show there is a consequence...

It could also weed out the types of clients that are undesirable drudges of earth (i.e. the "we only want to pay a little and get a lot" crowd that also complains if there is one dog hair missed under the seat on the power seat motor)

The bad:
I have no way to grantee that I get the cancellation fee and it could turn business away...

It may scare people away from the get go...

There are those types of people that seem to "review" when they are angry and by doing this it can tend to bring a bad name to a biz and that is not something that I want...

Chris Thomas
09-06-2011, 10:47 AM
In my opinion, you are selling them the time slot as much as the service. I would probably give them a few choices of which item they wanted left off as it can no longer be completed within the remaining time you had scheduled for them. Although, you will require the same fee...it is not your fault/problem because you were ready and willing at the scheduled time.

Just remember before you take action to make sure you are doing all you can to help. Call them the morning of or the night before to confirm and inform them during the reminder of your no show/cancellation policy. If they show up late after that, it's on them.

Flannigan
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Everyone of my customers is late. Granted I don't work on as many cars as you, so it doesn't affect me the same way, but it is still one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm sure they woldn't like it if you were late to do a detail at their house. People these days have no respect for other people's time. Ugh

CrownKote
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
In my opinion, you are selling them the time slot as much as the service. I would probably give them a few choices of which item they wanted left off as it can no longer be completed within the remaining time you had scheduled for them. Although, you will require the same fee...it is not your fault/problem because you were ready and willing at the scheduled time.

Just remember before you take action to make sure you are doing all you can to help. Call them the morning of or the night before to confirm and inform them during the reminder of your no show/cancellation policy. If they show up late after that, it's on them.

I agree fully with the time slot thing...

I send an email that looks like this:

Hello,

This is just a friendly reminder for your detailing appointment Wednesday 9/7/2011 at 12:30pm.

The appointment should take about 4 hours. We ask that you please remove any items from the vehicle that you can and if you could have the glove box and center console clear of any items that may be sensitive in nature it would be a great help in allowing access to all areas to provide you with the best possible cleaning.

Please remember to bring any coupons or vouchers with you when you drop off your vehicle.

Our address is:
4890 Van Gordon St. #104
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

Should any issues arise please call us as soon as possible so we may be able to be accommodating to your situation.

Thank you and we will see you soon.
--
Chris
www.CrownKote.com
303/424-KOTE

Then I call the afternoon before and confirm the appointment as well.

I am just tired of people not respecting others and not taking responsibility...

rwright
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I agree with Chris ^. Both of my airplane clients cancelled on me, one of them the night before and now I'm stuck with a case of polishing pads that I doubt I'll ever use. In turn when he wanted his car cleaned up I cancelled his appointment to send the message.

Sent using Tapatalk

maxniman
09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Very true! My wife said that we should start charging a cancellation fee to those that "no call no show"... I think that would be good but at the same time it would be bad...

The good:
It allows the customer to know that our time and their time is valuable and that if they decide that they need not show there is a consequence...

It could also weed out the types of clients that are undesirable drudges of earth (i.e. the "we only want to pay a little and get a lot" crowd that also complains if there is one dog hair missed under the seat on the power seat motor)

The bad:
I have no way to grantee that I get the cancellation fee and it could turn business away...

It may scare people away from the get go...

There are those types of people that seem to "review" when they are angry and by doing this it can tend to bring a bad name to a biz and that is not something that I want...

I think a cancellation fee will just result in fewer customers. having their car cleaned is just not a high priority with most people IMO

FUNX650
09-06-2011, 11:41 AM
People these days have no respect for other people's time. Ugh

:iagree: Those people probably have no respect about themselves either!

Quote:
I am just tired of people not respecting others and not taking responsibility...
Galatians 6:17
Hello my name is Chris

:iagree:

I feel that you have gone to the max in reminders to your customers' and their appointed times! Sorry that they don't do the same for you and your business.:(

This is a good rant, IMO.

Bob

FussMan
09-06-2011, 12:02 PM
CrownCote provided an answer that is the gold standard in the service industry. If it’s important to you, make it important to them. His email and phone confirmation elevate the level of his professionalism.

Well done sir!

Fussman

CrownKote
09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Everyone of my customers is late. Granted I don't work on as many cars as you, so it doesn't affect me the same way, but it is still one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm sure they woldn't like it if you were late to do a detail at their house. People these days have no respect for other people's time. Ugh

This is my biggest pet peeve next to a customer bringing in a mud flood car when they said "it really isn't all that bad" when making their appt... I had an issue once with my son that made me 10 min late to getting to the shop and the client that was waiting was furious even though I had called her the second I knew I was going to be a few min late... She demanded that I clean the car for free! I basically in nice words told her to loose my info and not to let the door hit her when she left...

I agree with Chris ^. Both of my airplane clients cancelled on me, one of them the night before and now I'm stuck with a case of polishing pads that I doubt I'll ever use. In turn when he wanted his car cleaned up I cancelled his appointment to send the message.

Sent using Tapatalk

Haven't had that opportunity yet... Lol... If I need to order something special for a client's car they pay a deposit! Plain and simple!

I think a cancellation fee will just result in fewer customers. having their car cleaned is just not a high priority with most people IMO

That is my fear... But if the customer doesn't show up then I don't have the biz either... It seems loose loose sometimes...

Maybe I tell them that there may not be a discount accepted if they no show?

:iagree: Those people probably have no respect about themselves either!

Quote:
Galatians 6:17
Hello my name is Chris

:iagree:

I feel that you have gone to the max in reminders to your customers' and their appointed times! Sorry that they don't do the same for you and your business.:(

This is a good rant, IMO.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I try to go above and beyond for all of my customers and it just turns my gut when they don't even try to get here ...

CrownKote provided an answer that is the gold standard in the service industry. If it’s important to you, make it important to them. His email and phone confirmation elevate the level of his professionalism.

Well done sir!

Fussman

Thanks! I have worked in all sorts of CS positions since I started working and I have been told since then that "I have the best CS skills they have ever seen"... I try to keep it that way and never show the client the frustration I am having with them or the situation they have put me into...

rider9195
09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I would think after sending that email reminder they wouldn't forget...guess people have too much things going on in their lives. I don't see why customers can't show up on time as they agreed early.

People these days :doh:

cutter
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Sent using Tapatalk

Good for you!!!

cutter
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
If you want to keep the Customer...take #2, or put them a the bottom of your list and explain to them why you make appointments...Maybe next time they will be on time.

CrownKote
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Now I am FUMED ANOTHER customer came in ad dropped off this guy was 45 min late!!!!!!!

What a JERK!!!!!

He is a Living Social customer and he gave me greif over the fact that "CarToys would have done a full 3 step polish, interior q-tip detail, extract of the seats and carpet, and rain-x the glass for the same price as your deal" I calld BS and called CarToys gave them the same info he gave me just now and the guy at CarToys told me that detail would be around $600.00 This guy will be hearing from me when he comes to pick up!!!!!