PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Cleaned and Conditioned These Seats Yet?!?!?! Scared me the first time!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Bates Detailing
09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dcvvtzWLkdg/TNHa__wDsRI/AAAAAAAAAws/_thoK26FXME/s1600/photo+%284%29.JPG

Curious?!?!?!?! Who got scared sh%$#less the first time they cleaned and conditioned these seats?!?!?!?! I did just the other day lol! Scared the crap out of me..........

Anyone know what Im talkin about?!?!?

XLNTShine
09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Never have done it myself. That is a King Ranch correct? I know they come with a manual on cleaning and conditioning them. It is also the same info found on the King Ranch website for caring for their saddles.

:xyxthumbs:

Rei86
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Is that some Ford King Ranch?

Bates Detailing
09-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Yes it is a King Ranch - Did an F-350 in and out 2 days ago and encountered these type seats. I have a regular customer with a very nice Tundra with similar seats, but these were definitely unique when applying the cleaner and conditioner........ they turned pitch black!!!!!!

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2011, 08:45 PM
...these were definitely unique when applying the cleaner and conditioner........ they turned pitch black!!!!!!

And did they dry out and lighten up when you were done?

sahrcar
09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Back in the day when I had just discovered car wax and had only done my suv about 3 or 4 times and decided to run an ad on craigslist I got a reply from a guy whom had these seats on his King Ranch truck. He was my 2nd person whom I detailed for and I thought I could handle his seats no problem. I did a decent job on the outside so I felt confident I could handle these seats as he had already provided me with a special conditioning formula that came with the vehicle. I opened the bottle and nothing came out. It didn't look clogged so I shook the bottle really hard and umm... the top came off and a big glob of the stuff splattered onto the seat. I tried to wipe it and spread it but it didn't do much. Wherever the stuff landed it just left a dark spot on the seat. I just grabbed a wet rag and quickly wiped the seats to say that I had indeed "cleaned and conditioned" all the seats. I did his rv the next day but never heard from him again.

A-train
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I just got done talking to a guy about those exact seats. I don't know what your planning on using however he used leatherique and had a bad experience with it. Just a little back ground first he was very knowledgeable of the products and process so im not just talking about some guys that's a hack. The seats faded real bad with the RJO and he used chemical guys leather conditioner to bring them back. Scared him pretty bad since these seats would not be cheap to replace....

XLNTShine
09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Hmm.. Black? Here is a bit from the website. I know I had or read a guide published by them about the care of the materials. This is just from their FAQ page:

2. How do I care for the leather or King Ranch Embossed Fabric?
Leather Care: The leather we use in our products will last for many years with proper care. In our experience, the best way to preserve leather is to condition the leather every 3 months with King Ranch Leather Conditioner (item#1053). Do not use oil on any of our leather products. Doing so will turn the leather very dark.

King Ranch Embossed Fabric Care: The tan-colored materials we use can be washed with water and any non-abrasive soap. We suggest using soap such as Soft Scrub, which does not leave a film. If the material is marked by a ball point pen, it is important to remove the ink before it dries. The best choice for this is any commercially available ink removing cleaners, but in a situation where such a cleaner is unavailable, hair spray can be used. Spray it on the spot, let it work for 20 to 30 seconds and then wipe it off with a soft cloth. Do not scrub with a lot of pressure or you will dull the surface.

Bates Detailing
09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
And did they dry out and lighten up when you were done?

They did - turned out great lol! I obviously did an inconspicuous spot first, then I freaked out - the owner said not to worry, they will do that and come back. He then said ( I think to comfort me ) that he wont hold me liable. Sure enough he was right - the cleaner/conditioner turned them black then they came back looking great. He even asked me to steam them...... that I said no to. I tried a spot and noticed dye on the rag. That wasnt going to happen!

Back in the day when I had just discovered car wax and had only done my suv about 3 or 4 times and decided to run an ad on craigslist I got a reply from a guy whom had these seats on his King Ranch truck. He was my 2nd person whom I detailed for and I thought I could handle his seats no problem. I did a decent job on the outside so I felt confident I could handle these seats as he had already provided me with a special conditioning formula that came with the vehicle. I opened the bottle and nothing came out. It didn't look clogged so I shook the bottle really hard and umm... the top came off and a big glob of the stuff splattered onto the seat. I tried to wipe it and spread it but it didn't do much. Wherever the stuff landed it just left a dark spot on the seat. I just grabbed a wet rag and quickly wiped the seats to say that I had indeed "cleaned and conditioned" all the seats. I did his rv the next day but never heard from him again.

That sounds kind of crazy man - bet you were worried as could be.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Those seats look just like my baseball glove from the old days.

rwright
09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I would love to see after pictures because those look hammered!

Bates Detailing
09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Those seats look just like my baseball glove from the old days.

True lol

I would love to see after pictures because those look hammered!

These are googled pics - I didnt get any pics of the job. Im one of those guys that gets pics of about 2% of his work..... dont have time or memory to get my camera every time.

IOMCAMARO
09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I always hear, "Pictures sell themselves when it comes to owning a detailing business."

Bates Detailing
09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I always hear, "Pictures sell themselves when it comes to owning a detailing business."

True lol - that is why I keep a photo album of before and afters in my work truck - sells corrections more than anything for me. I can say we do roughly 75 cars a month - could care less about takin pics of all those lol.

Jimmie
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Absolutely know what you're taking about. I really scared myself because Ford would only warranty them if you used their leather products. I used DG 221. Looked fine in the end.
Those things seem almost like a western saddle. Seems like we should be using some saddle products on them.