PDA

View Full Version : Seats looking worse with each Leatherique application.

Pages : [1] 2

2K4CE
09-05-2011, 07:44 PM
First application, I noticed splitting around the seams in the seats. I contacted Leatherique and they said that it was probably covered up by dirt previously.

Since then I've kept my seats fairly clean with their product, and decided to apply the Leatherique conditioner once again.

After my last experience, I took very careful mental note of the condition of my seats. After application, I noticed a few NEW bad areas.

This area is just by the headrest on the driver's side. I checked this thoroughly before application and it was flawless. Now look at it:

http://sky92x.com/leathercracks.jpg

Notice not only the new cracks, but there are a few harder to see areas where the color is coming off.

I wiped them clean with a soft microfiber cloth. No harsh brushing. This area doesn't really get dirty anyway.

The car is an 04 Corvette.

Thoughts? Suggestions for mitigation?

Twister
09-05-2011, 07:58 PM
The leather looks dirty to me. Are you sure you cleaned them enough?

Is the leather hard or stiff?

2K4CE
09-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Leather seems pretty flexible. Definitely not hard.

This area was vacuumed, then the conditioner applied, then the cleaner, then the cleaner wiped off.

(noticed the cracks after the conditioner, before the cleaner.)

IOMCAMARO
09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
I thought the cleaner was suppose to come before the conditioner? :dunno:

2K4CE
09-05-2011, 08:24 PM
I thought the cleaner was suppose to come before the conditioner? :dunno:

Nope, the site says to vacuum it and then hit it with the rejuvenator. Let cook for at least 2 hours in the heat, then take the cleaner to it to remove the now loosened dirt and contaminates.

XLNTShine
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Wonder if the dye in the seat is being removed by the product, or could it be dark because its wet and the top surface is cracked allowing moisture to wet the crack?

A-train
09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I've never personally had this problem with leatherique, however a buddy of mine did. His problem was on the tanned hide seats in a new f-150. It changed colors on him. He took all the leatherique off and had to use several coats of generic leather conditioner to bring them back.

A-train
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
how long did you leave the rejuvinator oil on?

Rsurfer
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Nope, the site says to vacuum it and then hit it with the rejuvenator. Let cook for at least 2 hours in the heat, then take the cleaner to it to remove the now loosened dirt and contaminates.
You are correct on the application. Some even wrap the seats in plastic and let the sun heat it up. Most cleaners and conditioners work in the opposite. Since there are no before pictures, it's hard to say if those cracks were there before or happened after the cleaning. Not trying to take the side of Leatherique, but I can't see how the cleaner or protectant could cause that kind of damage in such a short time.

2K4CE
09-05-2011, 08:40 PM
how long did you leave the rejuvinator oil on?

2 hours or so. Vehicle's int temperature was around 125 during.

Not trying to take the side of Leatherique, but I can't see how the cleaner or protectant could cause that kind of damage in such a short time.

They were certainly creases before the cleaning. But prodding around in the area before the application, there were no visible cracks.

It's very possible (and given the quality of gm leather...) that there were existing cracks, but too fine to see with the naked eye.

Whether or not the leatherique is actually causing damage I can't say. It wouldn't be fair to say without better before/after examination than just poking the leather. But I can say with certainty that it looks worse than it did before.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point to prevent my seats from looking worse. I may go back to using Zaino.

A-train
09-05-2011, 08:45 PM
You are correct on the application. Some even wrap the seats in plastic and let the sun heat it up. Most cleaners and conditioners work in the opposite. Since there are no before pictures, it's hard to say if those cracks were there before or happened after the cleaning. Not trying to take the side of Leatherique, but I can't see how the cleaner or protectant could cause that kind of damage in such a short time.

I agree, i would give it more time, the best results have come from letting it sit on there 10 + hours. I don't see where it would hurt anything giving it another application and letting it ride for a bit.

IOMCAMARO
09-05-2011, 09:01 PM
2 hours or so. Vehicle's int temperature was around 125 during.

They were certainly creases before the cleaning. But prodding around in the area before the application, there were no visible cracks.

It's very possible (and given the quality of gm leather...) that there were existing cracks, but too fine to see with the naked eye.

Whether or not the leatherique is actually causing damage I can't say. It wouldn't be fair to say without better before/after examination than just poking the leather. But I can say with certainty that it looks worse than it did before.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point to prevent my seats from looking worse. I may go back to using Zaino.

You can make them look better with a die to fill in those cracks. It's made by Swissvax so I won't mention it here, but if you want more info PM me.

Twister
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think those are new cracks but dirt settled into existing ones and caused them to be more visible. That is just my opinion though. Since it's not stiff or hard I would think the leather is just wearing.

It looks like the seams on the seats are starting to stretch some in that picture. I think you should consider having the seats redone.

2K4CE
09-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I am thinking about it, but the seats are a 2-year only color and haven't found anyone that can do the logos and the color yet (for a reasonable price.)

Kristopher1129
09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Wonder if the dye in the seat is being removed by the product, or could it be dark because its wet and the top surface is cracked allowing moisture to wet the crack?

That's exactly what I think is happening. I don't necessarily think this process is for that type of leather. It appears to be lifting the finish right off. I would hold off with the leatherique.