PDA

View Full Version : Three PC questions......

YankeeFan
02-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Finally had some sun today and noticed a good amount of very light swirl marks so I most likely will be getting a pc in the next month or so. I was just wondering 3 things as I was reading some past posts.

1. After you polish an area how do you clean it? With AIO? I assume there is some dusting, how is it removed plus how do you clean the area well to see if all the swirls are out?

2. When you tape an area you don't want polished do you use painter's blue tape or is there something specific for cars?

3. From what I read the pc will round off the edges of swirk marks or scratches. Since the pc does that, unlike a rotary that will get the clear coat down to the swirl why do you need to start with the least abrasive? Why wouldn't you just start with like an XMT #3 and an orange or yellow pad?

Howard

abrcrombe
02-04-2007, 10:44 PM
1 - clean to remove swirls by wiping with a 50/50 alcohol/water solution. To clean the dust, you can wash the car again, or it might blow off if you have a leaf blower.

2 - painter's tape

3 - You start off with the least abrasive combination needed to remove the swirls. A PC can remove some clearcoat, just not as quickly or as much as a rotary. If you have terrible swirls, you CAN start off with XMT#3 and a polishing or cutting pad. We just say to start with the least abrasive so you don't try to use that combo on a car with light swirls.

nick19
02-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Finally had some sun today and noticed a good amount of very light swirl marks so I most likely will be getting a pc in the next month or so. I was just wondering 3 things as I was reading some past posts.

1. After you polish an area how do you clean it? With AIO? I assume there is some dusting, how is it removed plus how do you clean the area well to see if all the swirls are out?

2. When you tape an area you don't want polished do you use painter's blue tape or is there something specific for cars?

3. From what I read the pc will round off the edges of swirk marks or scratches. Since the pc does that, unlike a rotary that will get the clear coat down to the swirl why do you need to start with the least abrasive? Why wouldn't you just start with like an XMT #3 and an orange or yellow pad?

Howard

1. You should have cleaned the paint before you polish. You can apply a finishing glaze to add additional oils, because usually after polishing, the paint can become rough. You can use Klasse AIO after polishing too. Dusting can be wipped away with any towel, MF, or whatever. Dust normally does not stick, and you can actually blow it off if you really want.

2. Blue painters tape is recommended.

3. A PC with the right pad, product, and technique (without it, you won't remove anything) you can remove a VERY thin layer of clear coat, and remove swirls and scratches.

You only have so much clear coat, before you need to repaint, which isn't cheap. In order to protect it, its recommended to start with the least abrassive, and slowly move up, so you don't remove more clear coat then you might have needed to get the defect out.

-Nick :cheers:
5-Star Auto Detailing