PDA

View Full Version : Product Recommendations - Critique my list!

dachrist
09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi guys

I have a black 1999 Tahoe, and a silver 2003 Jetta. I had the Tahoe detailed a couple of years ago, but because it is a DD it needs it again, but this time I want to do it myself. I have been browsing the forums and have found a wealth of information here, and I think I have come up with a good list of equipment/products to purchase. Please critique:

Griots Garage 6" RAP
LC 5.5 CCS Pads:
3 - Orange Cutting
2 - White Polishing
1 - Black Finishing
Meguiar's M105
Meguiar's M205
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Collinite 845

I originally was looking at the Wolfgang twins over the M105/205, but my fear is the TSR wouldn't be aggressive enough.

My steps are:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. M105
4. M205
5. Seal
6. Wax

I know this will take me the entire weekend, I have no problem with that. You can see these products are geared more to the Tahoe, but will they work on the Jetta? I don't think I will need the 105 on the Jetta, it has been garaged since new and the paint looks really good.

Does anyone have any thoughts or is this a pretty good list?

erock
09-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Thats a sweet setup...cant go wrong there

silverfox
09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I would add the megs DA microfiber starter kit. Add 1 drop M105 to D300 and it will finish down better than 105. Then hit with M205 with MF finishing disc and you will love the results. That combo of products should tackle just about anything. Only 105 with Surbuf pads are more agressive with a DA polisher.

I would also seriously consider buying the optimum compound and polish (new formulas ) once they are available. Just a thought. I've heard they are really improved and much easier to use. Long working times with no dust.

dachrist
09-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Would the Optmimum II Compound and Polish be a better combo for me (being a beginner)? Or use the Optimum II Compound topped with M205?

BobbyG
09-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I think this is a darn nice list! :props:

I would add the following to your list

1 - White Polishing
1 - Black Finishing
2 - Red Sealant / Wax pads
Microfiber towels

Apply both sealant and wax with your dual action polisher using a red pad. Both of the products you mention go on super easy this way..

dachrist
09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Should I just ditch the LC pads and get the Megs DA MF pads? Maybe use those for the cutting/polishing and just pick up a LC red pad for applying the sealant/wax? Seems like the MF pads last a lot longer and you don't need as many.

Buckskincolt
09-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Should I just ditch the LC pads and get the Megs DA MF pads?
No, the MF pads are for use with the MF system polishes only. I would go with the 5.5 thin Hydro tech pads over the CCS pads. I agree with BobbyG you want at least 3 of each of the polishing pads. So in Hydro Tech you would go with

3 -Cyan, 3 -Tangerine, and 2 -Crimson. Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-pads.html)

Also don't forget to add a 5" backing plate, the GG6 comes with a 6" backing plate and that won't work for 5.5" pads.

I disagree on the WG twins not being aggressive enough for correction on your Tahoe. I used the twins on my moms totally neglected never waxed 2003 Yukon in a review I did on the Hydro Tech pads, here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/20999-review-new-hydro-tech-6-5-pads.html You will see in the before and after pictures the capability of the WG combo and the Hydro tech pads.
I have both polishes, the WG twins and the 105/205 and almost always reach for the Wolfgang twins first! I just find them very easy to use, and they finish down very nice.:buffing:

Good Microfiber cloths are a must add to your list as well, Again BobbyG is right on here, as well as the recommendation to apply the WG sealant and 845 Wax with the GG6, makes it a lot easier and really helps to get a "thin" even coat. BobbyG has helped me a ton and he knows what it takes to get the job done right!Im the MAN

dachrist
09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
No, the MF pads are for use with the MF system polishes only.

Really? I thought I've seen reviews where he MF cutting pads were used with M105 or the Optimum Compound II with great results?

Kurt_s
09-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Good list. Surbufs or MF cutting pads for more cut with TSR or M105 if you need to cut.

The OPT Polishes and Compounds are great chemicals. I like both the WG twins and the Megs Twins. I "fixed" my 99 BMW paint with the WG twins and 6.5" orange and white CCS pads. (I highly recommend 5" pads over 6.5" (cut faster) with a DA (I use a PCXP)).

I like and use M105 when I need cut, but seldom use M205. Don't get me wrong, it's a good polish, but I have a couple other polishes with which I have more experience.

Good luck,

Buckskincolt
09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Really? I thought I've seen reviews where he MF cutting pads were used with M105 or the Optimum Compound II with great results?

There are lots of guys doing lots of things that are NOT recommended. Meguires says that the pads are NOT designed to be used with 105/205. Some of the same people who are using the "other" polishes are also complaining of pad failure. CAN you use them YES, Should you drop the foam pads for the MF pads to use other polishes IMO NO! Free world do as you please, I prefer to use products as directed.:dunno: This is only My Opinion!
I have seen lots of posts that say to mix the MF compound with the 105 and have reported great results. If you were going to do the MF pads then why not use the entire MF system?
Seems Odd a person with no experience would already be looking to hybrid systems rather than try whats systems are already out there. Remember, the guys doing most of the hybrid stuff are very experienced and know right off if it works right on the paint or if it may cause a problem.
There are lots of great products out there, Like Mike says, find one that works for you and use it often!
For ease of use and great results you might want to just consider the MF system straight up and see how that works for you. The starter kits come with a backing plate all you would really need to do would be to add a couple more of each of the pads.

brawl
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
That's some nice list. It's good that you learned first before buying products and saved yourself from spending too much money on things that you don't really need. As stated, Surbufs pad is a good back-up in case the orange pads fail to remove what you intend to remove.