PDA

View Full Version : Claying: Is soapy water just as good as quick detailer?

flektone
09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Just wondering if soapy water is just as good to use when claying as QD? I remember once I ran out of QD during a job and just used soapy water and it seemed to work out fine. Ill spend the money on the QD if its worth it, if not id rather save it.

slickooz
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I have used soapy water as a QD, but make sure after your done cleaning. That you give it a rinse to remove any soap residue off the car.

Flip
09-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I found that using soap caused the clay to break apart. I use ONR diluted to QD and it works great.

It's easier with onr because you don't have to worry about soapy water drying on your car. After I wash my car I continue to mist it with water as I go through and hit it with the qd and clay it.

Jimmie
09-05-2011, 11:12 AM
The problem was some clays would break down with soapy water. When you would go to knead it would just pull apart. Don't know if that is true any more with todays clay. Heavens knows plenty of guys have used soapy water. I still use a clay lube from my memories of ruining clay bars.

Twister
09-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Every time I've used soapy water the clay breaks down.

BobbyG
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I tossed my clay in a bucket of soapy wash water yesterday and after sitting there all day it did show signs of breaking down.

That said, I have clayed with soapy wash water with outstanding success, just don't let the clay stay submerged for long periods if time.

The clay that sat submerged all day sat on a plastic cover overnight and was dry and back to original condition. While I haven't tried using it again I see no reason why it wouldn't work as usual.