PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Question

truckbutt
09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I just finished doing all the textured plastic trim (of which there is way too much) on my Mustang with Mothers - Back to Black. I was very happy with the results. The nasty, stubborn, dried wax stains are gone. Now I would like to seal in the results with the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. So I have a few questions:
1. Is it OK to layer the UTTG over the Back to Black?
2. Any danger to the paint from the UTTG getting on it, as I suspect that will happen?
3. What's best to remove the UTTG from the paint?
Thanks in advance.

CEE DOG
09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
You may have success layering it over Back to Black but don't count on it. I tried layering UTTG over PB Trim restorer and there was no durability.

The problem is the UTTG bonds extremely well to trim but if you apply a different product first it gets in the way of the UTTG bonding with the plastic. If the product you apply first has great durability as well then things will be better as the UTTG has a chance at bonding to that product.

Having said that my buddy Tad applied UTTG over one of those "______black" or "black ______" products. I have no idea which one it was and he had months of durability and success.

UTTG will not hurt paint but if you let it dry on the paint don't expect it to come off with out a fight! When you apply UTTG spray once or twice on the applicator and then buff into the trim. Apply light If you get it on the paint wipe it off immediately with a waterless wash or qd and if it doesn't come off use ipa/water mix.

tuscarora dave
09-05-2011, 09:38 AM
The silicone in the Back to Black will prevent the UTTG from bonding to the plastic. I personally would give the car a few washes with something that is known to strip silicone and waxes (Dawn) and then start over using UTTG only. The UTTG can simply be wiped from the paint with a clean microfiber towel after application. It will not hurt the paint. Then since the car was stripped of course you'll need to re wax it.

If left to cure on glass around the rubber trim the UTTG will need to be removed with polish on a towel wrapped around your index finger. I tape above the rubber trim on windows to prevent the extra work of removing the UTTG from glass later.

truckbutt
09-05-2011, 09:42 AM
You may have success layering it over Back to Black but don't count on it. I tried layering UTTG over PB Trim restorer and there was no durability.

The problem is the UTTG bonds extremely well to trim but if you apply a different product first it gets in the way of the UTTG bonding with the plastic. If the product you apply first has great durability as well then things will be better as the UTTG has a chance at bonding to that product.

Having said that my buddy Tad applied UTTG over one of those "______black" or "black ______" products. I have no idea which one it was and he had months of durability and success.

UTTG will not hurt paint but if you let it dry on the paint don't expect it to come off with out a fight! When you apply UTTG spray once or twice on the applicator and then buff into the trim. Apply light If you get it on the paint wipe it off immediately with a waterless wash or qd and if it doesn't come off use ipa/water mix.
Thanks. I appreciate your response. I'm not surprised that it didn't bond with the PB as it's very oily. My product didn't come with a sprayer. Are you suggesting I use a sprayer to wet the applicator rather then squeeze it out of the bottle?

CEE DOG
09-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks. I appreciate your response. I'm not surprised that it didn't bond with the PB as it's very oily. My product didn't come with a sprayer. Are you suggesting I use a sprayer to wet the applicator rather then squeeze it out of the bottle?

OOPs! Sorry, I forgot that changed the nozzle. No, forget the sprayer. Just applying a couple drops is great :dblthumb2: By the way how faded is is your trim with no dressings on it?

truckbutt
09-05-2011, 09:54 AM
The trim isn't faded as it's pretty new. The problem I have is that I have some dried wax that has refused to come off. It looks like it's gone after Goo Gone and a tooth brush, but then reaapears as it dries. The Back to Black seems to have removed it, or kept it hidden when it dried. If it comes back I'm going to use DuPont Prep Sol as Bobby recommended.

Garry Dean
09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
A Dawn wash will take the B2B off of the trim pretty well. I would wash well and try the UTTG.

The best thing to do would be to let the B2B wear off and then hit it with a Dawn wash in a month or so. After its all gone UTTG should bond fine.

The B2B is definately just hiding your wax residue.

Hoytman
09-05-2011, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=CEE DOG;532561... By the way how faded is is your trim with no dressings on it?[/QUOTE]

I have some trim on a Black 05' Chevy Trailblazer that is seriously faded around the windows. Sticks out like a sore thumb against the paint. The luggage rack is the same way. I can post pictures if need be. How would you recommend I proceed?

I have Meg's #40, Mothers back-to-black, and a new bottle of UTTG.

Garry Dean
09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I have some trim on a Black 05' Chevy Trailblazer that is seriously faded around the windows. Sticks out like a sore thumb against the paint. The luggage rack is the same way. I can post pictures if need be. How would you recommend I proceed?

Bill, since you quoted CEE DOG, I will let him respond. Im the MAN

mg6045
09-05-2011, 01:00 PM
whats the best way to remove insanely stubborn polish from plastic trim ??

I must have missed it on the cowl while polishing.

truckbutt
09-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Many things have been suggested:
WD40
Mineral Spirits
Pencil eraser
Goo Gone
HD Eraser
DuPont PrepSol
Klean Strip Prep All
Textured plastic trim seems to be the most difficult to clean.

CEE DOG
09-05-2011, 01:28 PM
The trim isn't faded as it's pretty new. The problem I have is that I have some dried wax that has refused to come off. It looks like it's gone after Goo Gone and a tooth brush, but then reaapears as it dries. The Back to Black seems to have removed it, or kept it hidden when it dried. If it comes back I'm going to use DuPont Prep Sol as Bobby recommended.

Excellent, if it's not severly faded UTTG is going to make you a very happy man.

Pictures would help but you have a couple options. I don't know the exact type of material it is but I assume plastic. If it's smooth molded plastic you could polish with Optimum Poliseal to remove the dead faded layer and then clean the poliseal (sealant) thats left over off or let it wear off a bit iver time before stripping it and applying UTTG.

Or you could clean it well and apply C4.

Or you could apply PERL sprayed on 1:1 and wiped off. Maybe one layer each time you wash and dry it for 2-3 straight times and see if that holds for a few months.

Or Ron provided a tip about using CG water spot remover on bad plastic to strip the badness. Then clean the residue off and dry it before applying UTTG.

Edit: I missed the fact you were asking what to go with (out of the products you have.)

Do you have poliseal?

Is it smooth molded plastic in both areas?

Do you have any water spot remover?

You could also try to clean it extremely well, apply UTTG, and repeat application of UTTG every time you wash for a few times. This should cause it to grow darker and darker.

I assume that it is textured plastic

Bobby says Prep Sol. I haven't used that myself. I'm sure it works great though as long as its safe for that particular plastic.

I had a wax stain on my textured trim and the UTTG took it off the next time I applied it.

Heres some of the many ideas I have heard people say works:

Diluted APC with a toothbrush

Peanut butter

White rubber eraser

Magic Eraser (be extremely careful and gentle if you go that route) IMO thats overkill as it is an abrasive

Edit: looks like truckbutt already has the polish residue answered. I was typing, didn't see it was already posted.