PDA

View Full Version : How much QD is too much QD??

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
09-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Since my first full detail is done, OCD is setting in. I find myself walking outside, inspecting my work and grabbing my MFiber as soon as I see a hint of dust. That soon turns into me grabbing the QD and doing the panel... which turns into me at least hitting the roof/hood/trunk with the QD. This has become an unintentional daily routine.

Can any harm be done by QD'ing this often, aside from my wife hurling large objects at me for what I've become??

rider9195
09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't see why it would hurt. I pretty much do the same thing, but only for very very light dust.

BobbyG
09-04-2011, 02:52 PM
The most harmful thing I can see is something rather large and heavy inbound at a high rate of speed....

courtdale
09-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Good to hear. So the biggest adjustment I would need to make is buying QD in 5 gallon containers rather than the typical serving sizes, check.

Black cars do NOT do dust well.

SonOfOC
09-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I suspect a very high percentage of AG members to be in OCD denial. I always recommend finding a QD you like and buying a gallon minimum. Some people do not QD, but for those that do; it can be a great way to keep that clean and shine going for weeks.

CleanGene
09-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey don't feel bad about the excessive QD use. I maintain two black DD, so I know what you're up against. One thing that I've found to be very useful in day to day maintenance is the California Car Duster. In the evenings, I'll give the cars a quick dusting and then follow up with a QD. The more dust you can remove from the car before QDing, the better. Too much dust and you'll find yourself having to do multiple passes to get the result you want.

Lasthope05
09-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Excessive QD or anything involving touching the paint(washing) reduces the life of the underlaying LSP. It also increases the chance of marring. Once you've finished polishing your paint and applying an lsp of your choice, try not to touch if any more than you have to.

silverfox
09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
As much as I'm tempted to hit the car daily with a waterless wash I have come to the inevitable conclusion that washing and hitting it with a QD once per week is best for my car and my sanity. Unless a bird bomb needs my immediate attention I let the car go until next week's cycle starts again (ie) the less I touch the paint the better. It's got the slickest surface I can create so it has to go the entire week as best it can. Yes it has dust after a few hours outside. So be it. If it rains and has road spray on it I'll wash more than once per week but I've given up getting out the QD everytime I notice the slightest dust

chevchenko
09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I pretty much agree with silverforx on this one! After a while, especially if you own a black car, you have to say it stays this way till the weekends wash. I do QD from time to time, and use the CA duster, but I also realize that the less I touch the car the better, both for the car, and for my sanity!

CleanGene
09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
For those of you that don't want to do the daily QDing, the California Car Duster may be just what you need to bridge the gap. After you've made the slickest finish you can, most of the dust is just sitting there but will bond more and more the longer it remains. A quick dusting will make the weekend wash that much easier.

navseawelder1
09-04-2011, 06:05 PM
What does OCD mean?

CleanGene
09-04-2011, 06:08 PM
What does OCD mean?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

navseawelder1
09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Thank You. I'm trying to learn all these abbrevations.

Flip
09-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I use it every other day to remove bugs on my vw I drive daily. I haven't noticed any issues, I think the bugs decaying on my car would be more harmful than too much qd or micro-marring because of qd'ing it

Jenn1270
09-04-2011, 08:32 PM
What does OCD mean?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Or Obsessive Compulsive Detailing