PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new digital SLR--need advice!

Pages : [1] 2

dengood1
02-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone, my wife and I are looking to buy a new digital SLR camera and we need some advice on what to get and where to get it. We're not looking for a high dollar professional camera, just a nice all around SLR. We're currently looking at the Rebel XT, XTI, and some Canons, and a couple Nikons so far. What would you recommend? Please also advise on where to buy for the best price. Meghan, I know you're a photographer---your thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Stittville Ed
02-04-2007, 08:56 PM
The lens is the most important part and will cost more than the camera body.
I like the Canon and have use a 35mm for years

Reddwarf
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Hard to beat Cannon and Nikon. IMO Nikon is the best, but Cannon is a better value. I've had a couple of Cannon 35mm over the years and I was never dissapointed.

wytstang
02-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I use a Canon Powershot G6 7.1 megapixels I have no clue what all the functions do as I bought it at a crakhead price (under $300 and it retailed used on Amozon for $600 used). I like it

dengood1
02-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I use a Canon Powershot G6 7.1 megapixels I have no clue what all the functions do as I bought it at a crakhead price (under $300 and it retailed used on Amozon for $600 used). I like it

Did you buy it from a crackhead that "needed a fix"? :D Jeez, where did you get it?

wytstang
02-04-2007, 09:24 PM
A member on Autopia was selling it and I guess it scared a lot of people (thinking scam) but he had been a memebr for a while and took him up on his offer. He said he was upgrading to something better and this camera had very little use. It is in mint condtion and we're very happy we went for it as we came out waaaayyyy on top on this one.

abrcrombe
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a d50 and love it. Canon XTi is super nice and cheap (compared to cameras just a year ago). Also, canon's white lenses look awesome!! Nikon is not bad, but I think the XTi is too good of a deal to pass up. Look for prices online, way cheaper than Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc. PM me if you want some websites to some reputable dealers.

P1et
02-04-2007, 10:57 PM
I just recently bought a Canon Rebel XT for $482 through Staples. I guess it's being replaced by the XTi, but that one was still almost $900. Since it's my first DSLR, it was a no brainer. And I didn't really care that the XTi had an extra 2 MPs.

I've already gotten two tripods and tons of books for it. It's a whole new world for me since before this, I had "regular" digital cameras. Could be the beginning of a new hobby!!!

Here's me playing around with it. The reflection is off my truck's tailgate.

http://www.southernsoot.com/DodgeA10.jpg

abrcrombe
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Take a pic of your WIFE! lol yeah if you are just starting you don't want to get the most advanced crazy tech thing. Get something to learn with, and the glass is the most important thing.

P1et
02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Take a pic of your WIFE! lol yeah if you are just starting you don't want to get the most advanced crazy tech thing. Get something to learn with, and the glass is the most important thing.

I have plenty pictures of my wife, heh, but those are in a "seperate" directory!!!

:D

abrcrombe
02-04-2007, 11:12 PM
aww... cmon she is VERY attractive. :) So what lenses do you have for your XT and how expensive were they?

P1et
02-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I haven't bought any extra lenses yet, they're pretty pricey! I sold my Sony camera yesterday on Craigslist, still managed to get $175 for it. Maybe I can put that towards a new lens, but I really feel like I should learn how to use the camera properly...

abrcrombe
02-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Try getting a book explaining all the adjustments. ISO, aperature, shutter speed, all that jazz.

P1et
02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
One of my customers send me about 8 books, I'm drowning! I have found that the Canon website has an excellent interactive tutorial on the Rebel XT itself, very nice!

Frugle
02-04-2007, 11:37 PM
it is a large toss up between a nikon D40, and an rebel XT... the rebel is better bang for the buck, but I've been more pleased using the nikon with nikkor lens....

it really is all about the lens.