PDA

View Full Version : 1st detail, how much should I charge?

Pages : [1] 2

flektone
09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
this is my first detail of a car other then mine or my fathers. While I dont have experience with a PC and full correction I can make this car look close to brand new by hand. Its a friends white lexus IS300. Im going to clay, then use autoglym SRP topped with HD wax. I also need to wetsand the headlights as well. The interior isnt to bad just needs a good vacuum and plastics needs to be dressed. Windows and exhaust tip needs cleaning as well. I figure it will take me close to 8hrs. so at $25 an hr. thats $200, is that reasonable? Or should I charge more?

slickooz
09-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I think 200 might be a little too much without correcting the paint. 150-175 with headlight restoration sounds fair.

It also depends how experience you are, most of us (side jobs) charge anywhere from 20-40 an hour.

Flash Gordon
09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Sounds a little high to me as well. It shouldn't take you more then 4 hrs to do a wash and wax, headlites and lite interior

Flash Gordon
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Sounds a little high to me as well. It shouldn't take you more then 4 hrs to do a wash and wax, headlites and lite interior

Wash ~ 2 hours

Headlites ~ 30 minutes

Wax ~ 30 minutes

Interior ~ 45 minutes

Surf Autogeekonline ~ 15 minutes

catfish07
09-04-2011, 03:38 PM
2 hours on a wash.. That's a heck of a wash.

Flash Gordon
09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
2 hours on a wash.. That's a heck of a wash.

I say the same thing everytime :doh:

When I say wash, I mean body, jams, wheels, engine and clay. Two hours seems to be the average time limit no matter which way I cut it. Sometimes it takes even longer :bolt:

Porsche Pilot
09-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Only 15 minutes to surf AGO Flash? My fees have one hour AGO surf time built in. But yeah, 200 may be a bit much without even a one step machine polish.

rwright
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
this is my first detail of a car other then mine or my fathers. While I dont have experience with a PC and full correction I can make this car look close to brand new by hand. Its a friends white lexus IS300. Im going to clay, then use autoglym SRP topped with HD wax. I also need to wetsand the headlights as well. The interior isnt to bad just needs a good vacuum and plastics needs to be dressed. Windows and exhaust tip needs cleaning as well. I figure it will take me close to 8hrs. so at $25 an hr. thats $200, is that reasonable? Or should I charge more?

What do your local shops charge? What are you applying to the headlights after sanding? Your price structure sounds fine to me, $50 for headlamp resto and $150 for wash n' wax. Friend or not, don't work for free.

john b
09-04-2011, 08:42 PM
i would look into some of the duragloss products for white-look into to some of the posts on dg to see which dg falls into aio. i like flashs post on what you could get done in 4 or 5 hours

flektone
09-04-2011, 08:43 PM
What do your local shops charge? What are you applying to the headlights after sanding? Your price structure sounds fine to me, $50 for headlamp resto and $150 for wash n' wax. Friend or not, don't work for free.

local shops $130-$200 and that doesnt include claying. for the headlights im going to wetsand with 600 grit, 2000 grit, then apply 3m rubbing compound, then plastic polish. I guess I could charge $200 being I gotta do the headlights. Maybe ill knock it down to $175 being im trying to line up some business down the road

rwright
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
local shops $130-$200 and that doesnt include claying. for the headlights im going to wetsand with 600 grit, 2000 grit, then apply 3m rubbing compound, then plastic polish. I guess I could charge $200 being I gotta do the headlights. Maybe ill knock it down to $175 being im trying to line up some business down the road

Well you will want to apply a UV coating back to the headlights when finished. There is a thread on here talking about a cheap home remedy that lasts about 2 years. Barry Theal has a post that goes in depth about what you're doing as well. Please research before you get started because you don't want to be like the shops down the road, you really want to stand out. You're at a great start by being part of a great forum such as this.

Midnight1700
09-04-2011, 08:59 PM
This really depends on your market. For a complete wash/clay/sealant/wax (No buffer used). Interior including: carpet and upholstery cleaning, dash/console, door jambs, and dressings; we get $245 and an upcharge of $35.00 for headlights if we do it during the detail. Otherwise the headlight restoration goes for $55.00 with a 2 year warrantee. Again, this all depends on your market.

rwright
09-04-2011, 08:59 PM
i would look into some of the duragloss products for white-look into to some of the posts on dg to see which dg falls into aio. i like flashs post on what you could get done in 4 or 5 hours

I'm a huge Duragloss fan but he will be ok with AG SRP/HD Wax since he already has them. It's actually a decent combo. However, since you brought up Duragloss :D I would clean the paint with Duragloss #501 Marine Polish then top with Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish. If he uses Duragloss #601 Polish Bonding Agent it will accelerate the bonding time.

Kristopher1129
09-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Your customer may pay that...but I wouldn't get used to getting that price. Without experience, customers, a shop, word of mouth, or reviews to back you up...you're gonna have to come down. That is if you even plan on working full time anyways.

rwright
09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
This really depends on your market. For a complete wash/clay/sealant/wax (No buffer used). Interior including: carpet and upholstery cleaning, dash/console, door jambs, and dressings; we get $245 and an upcharge of $35.00 for headlights if we do it during the detail. Otherwise the headlight restoration goes for $55.00 with a 2 year warrantee. Again, this all depends on your market.

Great post ^. Your price sounds fair considering the work you're providing. The OP didn't list as much work which is why I believe $200 is fair. He basically listed a light interior detail or quick detail. Your list is how the work should be performed.