PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 476s over Meguiars Gold Class Plus paste wax

Pages : [1] 2

Tekno_Cowboy
09-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Finished up my late summer detail on my Grand Prix, and I'm looking ahead to my Fall/Winter prep.

For the summer detail I used:
Pinnacle Clay
M105 Compound
Ultimate Polish
2 coats Gold Class Plus paste wax
Followed up twice weekly with M135 synthetic spray detailer/Ultimate quick detialer

For my winter wax, I ordered a tin of Collinite 476s to use as LSP.

What I'm wondering is what I should do prior to using the 476s. Can I just do a thorough wash and then go right into waxing, or should I do something prior to waxing?

brawl
09-03-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't know if 476s, a hybrid, will properly bond over a pure wax like Gold Class. Also, aside from the wax over sealant practice, it is well accepted that the most durable product should be applied first. Maybe you can polish with UP for a well-prepped surface before applying 476s. It's winter. It's better to be safe than sorry. You should also do the baggie test to determine whether or not you should clay the paint first.Twice a year claying is the minimum.

Tekno_Cowboy
09-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Just clayed last week, so I should be good, except maybe the lower side panels, and maybe the hood.

The current version of the gold class is also a hybrid. It lasts a good bit longer than the original as well, but nowhere near what I hear the 476s does.

I'll probably wind up giving it another polish then, providing that the 476s will work well with the UP.

Matt
09-03-2011, 05:19 AM
I too would recommend applying the 476s first then topping with Gold Class. Reason is that which was stated above, the most durable should be applied first.

BobbyG
09-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Regardless of the manufacturer every product we apply begins to degrade as soon as it's applied. Because of many variables; sun, temperature, rain, washing etc they'll degrade at different rates.

Depending when you're planning on doing your winter prep the Gold Class Wax will most likely be gone especially if you're planning on claying prior to applying the Collinite 476.

Meguiar's Gold Class is a decent over the counter product but in my opinion it shouldn't be part of the winter prep. Rather than using it', get yourself a good sealant like Klasse High Gloss Sealant or Menzerna Power Lock and apply it as a base prior to the Collinite 476.

Collinite 476 is a nice product but it's more of a traditional old world paste wax and can be somewhat of a challenge to work with. Another product in the Collinite line that's much easier to apply and remove is Collinite 845. This is a great product and gives 5 months of protection against the elements.

Wash
Clay
Pre-Wax Cleaner
Sealant
Wax

tuscarora dave
09-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I don't know if 476s, a hybrid, will properly bond over a pure wax like Gold Class. Also, aside from the wax over sealant practice, it is well accepted that the most durable product should be applied first. Maybe you can polish with UP for a well-prepped surface before applying 476s. It's winter. It's better to be safe than sorry. You should also do the baggie test to determine whether or not you should clay the paint first.Twice a year claying is the minimum.
I echo this suggestion. It's just an educated guess but I'd think the Gold Class could effect the integrity of the 476 bonding.

Tekno_Cowboy
09-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm planning on doing my winter prep sometime in late september. I'll probably wind up claying, and maybe polishing as well.

I've heard vastly different opinions of the 476s, as far as application/removal goes.
Some people say that it's very hard to work with, others say it's no harder than any other paste wax.

I say that paste waxes tend to be much easier to apply with a DA than liquid waxes, for the fact that liquid waxes are more likely to soak into the pad. That's why I'd like to stay away from the 845.

I'm also not a big fan of layering different types of protection, so I'd rather just go with one product as the protecting layer. From all the reading I've done, the 476s seems to be one of the most durable out there.

Jenn1270
09-03-2011, 12:34 PM
The beauty of living in the south is that I don't have to do my winter prep until November

Reflexion
09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't mean to hijack a thread here, but last weekend I clayed & did a one-step (AIO) on a friend's Mustang. The next day I did a quick wash & dry and then applied Collinite Fleetwax (which I understand to be the same as 476). The car looked great, but after applying and removing the wax the car was driven to the store and back and afterward I could see like a residue of some sort and it seemed like the wax would just smear (most noticeable on the hood (heat issue?) ). It's cleared up now and the wax is performing great and the car looks fine, but is there a trick to the right application for this stuff?

I'm sure that my MF's were all clean and free of any residues and I used a wash soap w/ no glossing agents (or any other additives) before applying the wax. I applied it w/ a DA on a black LC pad and spread it very thin.

umi000
09-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't mean to hijack a thread here, but last weekend I clayed & did a one-step (AIO) on a friend's Mustang. The next day I did a quick wash & dry and then applied Collinite Fleetwax (which I understand to be the same as 476). The car looked great, but after applying and removing the wax the car was driven to the store and back and afterward I could see like a residue of some sort and it seemed like the wax would just smear (most noticeable on the hood (heat issue?) ). It's cleared up now and the wax is performing great and the car looks fine, but is there a trick to the right application for this stuff?

I'm sure that my MF's were all clean and free of any residues and I used a wash soap w/ no glossing agents (or any other additives) before applying the wax. I applied it w/ a DA on a black LC pad and spread it very thin.

Sounds like wax hologramming. This tends to happen when a) you've applied it too thickly, and/or b) you've removed the wax before it has fully dried. So after applying very thinly, make sure you give it enough time to dry. Then after buffing off, try and go over it maybe an hour later a second time, to ensure you've removed all wax remnants. I've also read suggestions that misting some chilled distilled water just prior to buffing can also help.

dchristo
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Ive had the same thing happen to me when the humidity was real high....just wipe down later and it will be fine

luv a shine
09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
i have been using collinite 476 for about six mouths. i tryed NXT 2.0 with a DA(sep 21). did not even come close to the 476 in every way,shape. i put my 476 on with a DA and a butter knife. lighty spread it like butter.

luv a shine
09-04-2011, 07:17 PM
aug 21

rwright
09-04-2011, 07:51 PM
In my experience 476 was difficult to use compared to PBMG waxes, Fuzion, Sounveran, SSII, Max Wax. If you haven't used these then I don't think you will find it too difficult. Great durability too. My vote is to apply 476 to bare paint, allow to haze then remove, wait maybe 12 hours and wipe down with chilled distilled water.

shoeless89
09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I would put the 476 under anything else. personally I do a sealant (Menzerna Power Lock) the go over it with Collinite 845.

I gotta give BobbyG props for recommending this and its amazing!

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk