PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

nadroj
09-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Background/General Info:
I have a 2007 Galaxy Grey Mazda3 (4dr sedan.) Due to a variety of reasons I have not washed it in over a year and I have not waxed it in 2-3 years. The paint is definitely not in the best shape anymore since this car is a daily driver and I commute 55 miles on the highway several days / week for work and school. About 5 months ago someone hit my car in a parking lot and I had to get the bumper replaced and the front quarter panel was repainted. Anyways, I am sick of my car looking like crap so I have come here to gain some knowledge and to hopefully get it looking good again.

Products/Equipment that I currently have:

Schmitt wash mitt (white for paint, black for tires)
Microfibers (mostly meguiar's)
Clay (meguiar's)
A few waxes, car wash, and quick detailer (most of this is at my parent's place so I will need to go pick it up to see what all I have)

Products/Equipment I am considering purchasing:

Griot's 6" DA polisher
Meg's 5" BP
LC Flat 5.5" pads

Questions I have:

1) I do not have a garage to work in. Any work that I do on my car will be in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Would I still benefit from purchasing a DA polisher or is it not advisable to do this type of work in these conditions (direct sunlight/cars pulling in and out/etc.) I live in GA so it gets fairly hot most days and I do not want to inflict any additional damage on my car.

2) Since it has been so long since my car was last washed there is an accumulation of gunk on it (most notably a ton of dead bugs.) Should I purchase something that is made specifically for bug removal or will diluted APC's allow me to accomplish the same goal without a bunch of extra work? Any products that I should definitely purchase for bug removal?

I have a ton more questions but most of them depend on the answer to these so I will wait for some responses before asking any others.

shoeless89
09-02-2011, 11:02 PM
1) I do not have a garage to work in. Any work that I do on my car will be in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Would I still benefit from purchasing a DA polisher or is it not advisable to do this type of work in these conditions (direct sunlight/cars pulling in and out/etc.) I live in GA so it gets fairly hot most days and I do not want to inflict any additional damage on my car.

You can use a DA in direct sunlight. Polishes will dry out faster and it'll be HOT. Just buy a pop up canopy and BOOM you got some shade!

2) Since it has been so long since my car was last washed there is an accumulation of gunk on it (most notably a ton of dead bugs.) Should I purchase something that is made specifically for bug removal or will diluted APC's allow me to accomplish the same goal without a bunch of extra work? Any products that I should definitely purchase for bug removal.

For bug removal get Poorboys Bug Squash FOR SURE!

And by the way :welcome: to Autogeek :)

Keep reading and you will learn everything you need to know

Bates Detailing
09-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Questions I have:

2) Since it has been so long since my car was last washed there is an accumulation of gunk on it (most notably a ton of dead bugs.) Should I purchase something that is made specifically for bug removal or will diluted APC's allow me to accomplish the same goal without a bunch of extra work? Any products that I should definitely purchase for bug removal?

1) Work small areas and you should be fine..... unless you have a dark colored car - then wait for morning, evening, or shade..... and still work small areas.

2) Using an APC or a foaming glass cleaner works great IMO - with the help of a bug sponge you will be in better hands. You can do it without a bug sponge but be sure to keep the surface lubed and repeat the process of spraying and scrubbing until bugs are gone. A lubed bug sponge works wonders though :)

nadroj
09-03-2011, 06:06 PM
My car is a medium gray color (link is a picture for reference) http://images.dealerrevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=38986045

Awesome. I am glad that being outside is not going to cause any major issues since that was definitely my biggest concern. Since I will be working outside in the direct sunlight, is it recommended that I use a product that specifically says it can be used in this manner (ie Poorboys SSR1, SSR2.5, etc) or will I be fine with the more commonly recommended products such as Meguiar's M105 and M205?