PDA

View Full Version : Awesome spotlight find at Target!

onlycodered
09-01-2011, 10:31 PM
So today I was just browsing around in Target near the automotive section (of course!) and I stumbled upon a REALLY nice detailing tool in the next aisle over. I've been looking for a better spotlight "swirl finder" than my LED flashlight and I believe I just found my answer!

I had been looking at the Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Swirl Finder Spotlight (http://www.autogeek.net/brinkmann-swirl-finder-light.html) previously but some of the reviews had put me off a little bit. Plus it only puts out 135 lumens which is only a little better than my LED flashlight. Well today I came across something by Energizer called the "Rechargeable Spotlight". This thing puts out 410 lumens which is considerably more than the Brinkmann. Only downside is that it only lasts on battery for 30 minutes but they include a wall charger and cigarette lighter adapter so I'll probably just run it off one of the chargers most of the time.

The model number is 106RC ERC106BP. How much does this cost you ask? About $40. I could barely find any info about it online but if you manage to find one of these at your local Target I'd say it's well worth it!

Below are some pics of what it looks like and to give you an idea of what kind of light it puts out. :checkit:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/JSchwage/Detailing/Misc/IMAG0196.jpg

This was done in a room with no lights on about 12 feet away on the other side of the room.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/JSchwage/Detailing/Misc/IMAG0198.jpg

And here's a shot of the side of my DD showing what wonderful swirls the body shop at a Honda dealership put all over my car after repairing my driver side door and fender after someone backed into my car. Still pretty ticked about it but I've just finished accumulating all the tools to fix all these swirls myself (yeah I'm a newbie) since there's no way in hell I'm going back there to ask them to fix it. I don't want them anywhere near my car.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/JSchwage/Detailing/Misc/IMAG0194.jpg

john b
09-02-2011, 12:27 AM
nice find and glad to see the foosball table to

BobbyG
09-02-2011, 06:30 AM
It pays to keep an eye open for bargains and you landed a good one! :props:

New Image
09-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Looks like it went through the wall and lit up the siding on your neighbors house. lol great find and i am looking for one as well, might have to go check this out.

onlycodered
09-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Looks like it went through the wall and lit up the siding on your neighbors house. lol great find and i am looking for one as well, might have to go check this out.Haha actually that was the neighbors light on the side of their house.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

JSMet
09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Congratulations on a good find. I think I saw it at Target also, but for some stupid reason ( I think I got distracted, which for me happens frequently) I didn't pick one up. Maybe I can get one before they run out.

jbone
09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I may be wrong, but isn't that light gonna show every single imperfection? Your car may never be clean again! :0

LuxuryMobile
09-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Exactly what you want when shopping for a light to use for checking detail work...you want to see every single imperfection.

lee1dew
09-02-2011, 07:18 PM
When shopping for a swirl finder light, is there anything to look for other than quantity of light output? Would any of those cheap million candlepower lights do or are there certain qualities that make one light better for finding swirls than others?

Twister
09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Nice find. I will have to look the next time I go

onlycodered
09-02-2011, 10:39 PM
When shopping for a swirl finder light, is there anything to look for other than quantity of light output? Would any of those cheap million candlepower lights do or are there certain qualities that make one light better for finding swirls than others?410 lumens is probably the highest I will ever go because there's a point at which your light can be too bright which causes you to not even be able to see anything due to having too much light shining off the vehicle into your eyes.

I do know that LED lights or lights that have more of a pure white light to them instead of yellowish light tend to show more defects in your paint but my theory is if you can't see defects in what you'd consider to be a normal amount of light or tint of light then it's not worth fixing those defects. For example you may see a defect under an LED light but if that's the only environment you can see the defect but it cannot be seen under bright sunlight in the middle of the day what's the point in further attempting to correct the defect anyway?