PDA

View Full Version : Paint Transfer Removal with OTC Products

HiroProtagonist
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

New poster, just got my first order from Autogeek and am excited. I'm the proud owner of a new GG polisher w/5" backing plate and some white and blue LC flat pads. Will be washing/claying my black 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie this weekend, and will be using the GG One Step Sealant, which seemed like a good first choice for a noob w/a DA. :autowash:

The paint is in very good shape, with a few light swirl marks, but nothing major. I discovered last week, after I had placed my order, that some inconsiderate so and so scraped what looks like a mirror down the rear quarter of the bed, leaving behind a white paint transfer and some fairly shallow scratches. :doh:

After having read Mikes post on paint transfer at http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/38815-how-remove-paint-transfer.html I'm wondering what OTC product I can use as a substitute for the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion used in the article. Would something like Meguiars SwirlX or Mothers Scratch Remover be ok, or is there something more gentle I can start with? I have access to the major parts store chains, NAPA, Wal-Mart, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

rider9195
09-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Some pictures of the paint transfer would be helpful to figure out what product might work.

I have no experience with Meguiars SwirlX or Mothers Scratch Remover. But always use the least aggressive method. Try the Mothers with the white pad first, if that does nothing try the SwirlX with a white pad. If none of those work go to your local Walmart and pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and try that. If you have any questions don't be afraid to post them here and ask! Many helpful members here.

embolism
09-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Swirl X is pretty mild and for any kind of tough paint transfer, you're going to need something more aggressive than a paint cleaner imo.

I went over some transfer with KAIO on a white pad on my GG before and it didn't do anything. Power finish on an orange pad took it off in literally 3 seconds though I did finish breaking down the polish...

Mike Phillips
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
The Ultimate Compound wit a piece of terry cloth would be a good combination to try, keep in mind you can exert a lot of pressure with just a few fingers pushing down on any type of applicator pad. The effect is you can remove the paint transfer off the surface but you might be left with some marring of the paint from your hand process.

No problemo just re-polish that area by machine to remove the marring.

And for anyone reading this into the future...

How To Remove Paint Transfer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28170-how-remove-paint-transfer.html)

:)

Jons6.7
09-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Vote #2 for UC it was what I had to do with mine after I did not have anything tough enough. Wally world sells it so you can get it close to you.

david79z28
09-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I have had success with enamel paint reducers on BC/CC paints.

ScottB
09-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I find anything abrasive (polishes) will remove paint transfer.

MonoPed
09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Another vote for Ultimate Compound.

shoeless89
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I used a MF towel and some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound a couple weeks ago to get some off a Lexus RX 300 I detailed. Worked great!

opie_7afe
09-01-2011, 11:50 PM
ultimate compound will work. minds well pick up some swirl-x and ultimate polish if you want also (those will fix the marring after the ultimate compound) i know advance auto and carquest(ones with the paint stores in them) have meguiars mirror glaze products so if you can find those i would grab some meguiars MG 105 and 205 and that will do a alot for you from the info i got from the forums(havent tried 105 or 205 yet but soon i will) good luck with your truck! hope you can make it shine like glass!

roguish-desires
09-02-2011, 03:43 AM
I've always used a rubbing compund. I know that 3M Perfect it II fine cut compund works and I'm sure the Megs will work as well. Both of these products can be found OTC at the big box auto stores.

HiroProtagonist
09-02-2011, 09:26 AM
:thankyousign:

Thanks for the all ideas. Will pick up some ultimate compound on the way home from work today. Sorry no pics yet, will take some before and after shots as I'm doing my first DA polish this weekend.

Joe