PDA

View Full Version : Carpets

Excessive Detail
04-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I have been using a water/woolite mixture of 5:1 in a 32 oz spray bottle to clean carpets and it seems to work very well and doesn't leave any strong chemical odors.

ScottB
05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I have been using a water/woolite mixture of 5:1 in a 32 oz spray bottle to clean carpets and it seems to work very well and doesn't leave any strong chemical odors.

I also use this, works very well on headliners and even cloth interiors. For heavy spots I use Wolfgang Spot Remover. Absolutely all that is needed to keep carpets looking new.

keninnj
07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
What method do you use when you use the Woolite mixture? After spraying what do you do? Blot? Scrub? Also on an old car is it really safe to spray anything on the headliners? I am always afraid it will make it seperate and begin to hang?

emaxxman
07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
What method do you use when you use the Woolite mixture? After spraying what do you do? Blot? Scrub? Also on an old car is it really safe to spray anything on the headliners? I am always afraid it will make it seperate and begin to hang?

I just did a complete scrub down of the entire interior (except for headliner) of my 98 ivory interior Accord. This was a car that had heavily soild carpets from kids. It was NEVER cleaned.

I used a 5:1 solution of woolite in a spray bottle. Now, the car was regularly vacuumed but not "washed" inside. After a thorough vacuuming, I spray a seat, let it soak for about 30 seconds, and then slowly massaged with the Meguiar's interior brush. The dirt just lifted up right off of the seats. The woolite/water mixture actually turned black in some spots (yes I'm ashamed that I let the seats get this way :(.)

I then just wiped the seat down with a clean wet cloth then a clean dry cloth. I repeated this for all the seats, dash, arm rests, and door panels. It is amazing how clean the seats look.

For the carpets, the same technique was applied but I used a scrub brush attachment for my PC polisher. The stains came up with the Meguiar's brush too but the PC brush saved a ton of elbow grease (which was good because it was 90 degrees outside.)

To be honest, the stains sort of just "vaporized". There were no signs of them left. I then just gave the carpet a quick wipedown with a moist towel...but there were no dirt stains on the towel. I finished up with another very thorough vacuuming with my shopvac. The key there is to do it very slowly to allow the vac to really pull out any moisture and dirt particles. The carpets look amazing. The look almost new.

I didn't do the headline because it wasn't really dirty. I also have a concern of causing it to fall. My Accord's is fabric...I wish it was a vinyl panel like my Civic.

keninnj
07-06-2006, 05:19 AM
Thanks for explaining how to use the woolite. I am like you I wish my headliner was not the cloth type either. Especially with it being so old and I am afraid to do anything with it. Unfortunately the previous owner did not take care of it.

Meghan
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
For the carpets, the same technique was applied but I used a scrub brush attachment for my PC polisher. The stains came up with the Meguiar's brush too but the PC brush saved a ton of elbow grease (which was good because it was 90 degrees outside.)
Don't you just love that brush for the PC7424, I tend to spill my coffee it seems every morning, so I unfortunately have to use my brush attachment more often than others. :mad: (I need a sippy cup) :p

emaxxman
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Meghan,

Don't feel too bad. At least your spills are on the car. I use a travel mug every day and was still spilling coffee...on my shirt :(.

It took me about 5 spills before I realized that I was not going to be successful drinking directly out of the mug...I now use a straw...just like my kids. :cheers:

Meghan
07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Meghan,

Don't feel too bad. At least your spills are on the car. I use a travel mug every day and was still spilling coffee...on my shirt :(.

It took me about 5 spills before I realized that I was not going to be successful drinking directly out of the mug...I now use a straw...just like my kids. :cheers:
That is funny, yeah I have to admit I use our OXO travel mug, it claims to be spill proof and it is, it's just not idiot proof.:o