PDA

View Full Version : Question on Lotus paint

Sunshyne
09-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Friends

I am looking for info on Lotus paint. I might be tackling a 1995 Lotus Esprit and wanted to do some research on it to see what others might have experienced with the same type of vehicle.

Any information on older Lotus paint is appreciated. From what I know the car is clean but swirled. I dont know if its single stage or clear coated

thanks

DLB
09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
That's a pretty special request.

If I were doing the car I would:
First determine if it was single stage or clear coat. You will have to base this on the exact car you are working on. What if the one you are working on or the one that someone else has done was repainted? You have nothing good to base the info on really (with an older paint job) than what that particular car tells you. So do your test and figure that out.

Secondly I would use a PTG and measure film build just to see what kind of numbers I was looking at.

Thirdly (if) when working on it, very slowly ramp up the aggressiveness until the desired results are achieved.

The formula is pretty well always the same, but with an older paint that is on a higher end car, you just don't want to rush at all.

Like I said though - unless you know the condition of the paint (factory vs. respray) of any two given vehicles, you aren't comparing apples to apples.

DLB

Sunshyne
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
DLB

valid points all around and good food for thought. I do know its original paint and not a respray. The car is gorgeous but needs some love as most cars do

I will def try it slow and work up from there to see what I can get from it

If it is single stage, whats the recommended product? I only have 105/205 and D300/01 and a few OTC items to tackle this right now