PDA

View Full Version : Is clay use something a beginner can do?

Pages : [1] 2

BoomerTC
02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I confess, I have never taken care of my vehicles. They have always been just transportation to me. But this year, I bought my first "nice" car, one that I actually want to take care of - A Volvo C70. Deep blue color - a real sharp looking car. So I have been researching here on the forum and have a couple of questions:

1. Clay sounds like a really good idea. Is this something that a rank amature like myself can do? I've read the tutorial and there doesn't seem like there is much to it.

2. Is there anything I have to beware of when doing it?

Any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

steveo3002
02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
yes no problems for newbies

make sure the car is freshly washed before you begin, and make sure the clay is warm ,especialy if you live somehwere cold ...warm it by kneading it until its soft

when claying the car listen and watch whats going on, check the clay and refold it often, look at it to make sure theres no big lumps of dirt picked up...listen out for scratchy noises

sparkie
02-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome nebie, steveo3002 nailed it! Remember refold it often.

P1et
02-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome Boomer! I'm a big Volvo fan myself, great choice on the C70! Is it the new bodystyle? Love those!

Clay is a tricky beast. In my years of detailing, I've never been able to clay a vehicle and it *not* look like it needed to be polished afterwards. I personally have used Zaino clay, which I have been disappointed by, and the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, which I enjoy working with.

Make the sure vehicle is washed thoroughly before hand and use a good lube. I usually mix some Megs Gold Class with water and use that in a spraybottle as lube and it works fine.

Go slow and don't use too much pressure. Remember, clay is still an abbrasive, no matter what they tell you. I try to only go in a horizontal motion, not vertical. Left to right, not up and down.

Hope this helps!

PhaRO
02-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Clay is one of those products that I feel anyone can use with some caution. I'd recommend using a soft clay. Although there are many substitutions for "clay lube". I'd stick with using a product that is specifically designed for clay lubrications until you feel comfortable. Although clay will take off things like bugs, tar and sap, cleaning those off before hand will keep your clay in better shape. Breaking the bar into pieces is a good idea just in case you drop it. Clean and dry the car first, use plenty of lube, work slowly and check your work as you go.

Some of my recommendations are not things I do myself. I use a soft clay on my weekly / biweekly customer cars (not every time) and a couple of more aggressive clays if required. More aggressive clays tend to marr the finish and polishing is needed. I keep my old clay for grunge work (stubborn bugs, tar and such) or heavy contaniments. I use an ONR mix for lube. I do a lot of spot claying (single panels) and often clay while washing (using ONR on most now).

BoomerTC
02-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Welcome Boomer! I'm a big Volvo fan myself, great choice on the C70! Is it the new bodystyle? Love those!

Clay is a tricky beast. In my years of detailing, I've never been able to clay a vehicle and it *not* look like it needed to be polished afterwards. I personally have used Zaino clay, which I have been disappointed by, and the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, which I enjoy working with.

Make the sure vehicle is washed thoroughly before hand and use a good lube. I usually mix some Megs Gold Class with water and use that in a spraybottle as lube and it works fine.

Go slow and don't use too much pressure. Remember, clay is still an abbrasive, no matter what they tell you. I try to only go in a horizontal motion, not vertical. Left to right, not up and down.

Hope this helps!

No, it's not the convertable hardtop, those are sweet, but just a little out of my price range. I picked up an '04 that only had 7,000 mi on it! It looks like its barely seen the outside of a garage. It's almost a shame for it to become a daily driver here in Mass. But it has a nice navy blue finish that looks awesome when polished, so I figure I need to learn how to do it.

I guess I will start with some of the ultra fine clay, just to get the hang of it. And I was considering the AIO followed by the SG, Souveran, and Pinnacle Detail Spray (The Forum Favorite Kit). Any feedback on those choices would also be appreciated.

Nuke33
02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Anyone can do it... Just go get a kit... I used the meg kid... Make sure you use plenty of lube and if you drop the clay THROW IT AWAY.... Split each little bar into 3 peices too.

ScottB
02-04-2007, 12:21 PM
easy for beginner and pro alike ... allow the clay to talk to you. Cup it in your hand and glide it across the finish. When it stumbles, you need to work that area back and forth till smooth. Very easy, just remember to use alot of lubricant. Clay is not meant to grind into paint.

Reddwarf
02-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Like Killr said, use lots of lubricant. And don't drop the clay bar! It easy for a beginner. I did it early in my learning process and found it to be a very rewarding experience becuase so much grime came off on the clay bar that I was amazed. And the feel of the paint surface afterwards makes you know you accomplished something.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

supercharged
02-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Lots of lubricant, - proper lubricant. I prefer Pinnacle clay lubricant - very slick.

abrcrombe
02-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Just stressing again, if you drop it... toss it out. DON'T use that piece again!!

Nica
02-04-2007, 01:47 PM
BoomerTC,

First of all welcome to AG, you will find this place to be very knowledgeable and very friendly members who are always willing to help.

Now I'm a new guy too but I have clayed my car's and I can actually give my advice on this....well it's the same as previous advice but I hope one more doesn’t hut.

I agree with the other members here claying is really good for your vehicle and you need to feel it. Where ever you’re passing the clay bar keep it lubricated, now here is where it gets some what tricky, when I did my first claying I used an entire 473mL bottle on a four door Volvo. I went a little overboard with the lubrication but I figured better be safe the sorry. So yes lubricate but don't over do it like I did. Oh yea if you do drop the clay to the ground do not keep using it.

Claying does wonders to your car and no matter how new or in good shape you think it is you will be blown away what the clay will remove from your vehicle.

Well that's all I got hope it helps.
vbmenu_register("postmenu_54500", true);

Torsion Tool
02-04-2007, 01:57 PM
And don't be bashful with the MF. Frequent wipes with a clean towel help reveal the improvement. Step back every so often after finishing a section just to appreciate its effectiveness. As with polish, start with the least abrasive and work up as necessary or do it again later. Before discarding used clay use it on the glass; it works well there, too.

BoomerTC
02-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I can't wait to see the results. Now if it would only warm up here

Jimmie
02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Lots of good clay info. You asked about Klasse AIO and SG. Just used this combo on my car. It looks awesome, but to be honest the SG can be a little labor intensive. I've read where Killr had a good trick about spraying the SG, but haven't tried it. I think that you could move straight to the Souveran after the AIO. Good plan either way.