View Full Version : 07 Honda Pilot door pillar question

Pages : [1] 2

jikim83
08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I have 07 black honda pilot
problem I have is about door pillar
I tried to wipe it off with IPA to clean, somehow paint came off from that
pillar and left big white spot.
I tried anything that i know but none of them worked.
I even dyed that pillar but as soon as it dried white spot comes on again.
If anybody knows how to fix this problem let me know

carsmetic
08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
sems honda black trim paint.

opie_7afe
08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
i would take a picture and post it in this thread, it will help us find the correct solution that has the longest durability for you. things like this are easier to deal with online when we know what is going on.

kimtyson
08-31-2011, 08:19 PM
So, is this a good reason to stay away from IPA?

Jenn1270
08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Interesting I have an 06 pilot and haven't seen any issues with it. Has it had some trauma or anything?

jikim83
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I have 07 black honda pilot
I tried anything that i know but none of them worked.
I even dyed that pillar but as soon as it dried white spot comes on again.
If anybody knows how to fix this problem let me know
here is picture

Mike Phillips
09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I have 07 black Honda pilot

If IPA wiped the paint off then avoid using IPA in the future on this portion of your Honda Pilot. I owned a black Honda Pilot for a few years and never had a problem with the paint on this section of the car but I also never wiped it with IPA.

If the paint is now missing the only real cure is to repaint it. You can try to do this yourself or take it to a body shop.

Strange this happened. Makes me wonder if the area was damaged somehow before you purchased it?

:)

carsmetic
09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
we deal with hondas everyday, sometimes the trim is stained from degreaser/prep solutions. we buff it out, have good luck with d301 finish wax. If it is actual paint missing than painting is the cure. like mentioned before Sems makes a good trim paint in a rattle can.
HTH

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Is that actually painted there? Frequently those locations have some sort of vinyl wrap. Hard to tell from the picture.

jikim83
09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
If IPA wiped the paint off then avoid using IPA in the future on this portion of your Honda Pilot. I owned a black Honda Pilot for a few years and never had a problem with the paint on this section of the car but I also never wiped it with IPA.

If the paint is now missing the only real cure is to repaint it. You can try to do this yourself or take it to a body shop.

Strange this happened. Makes me wonder if the area was damaged somehow before you purchased it?

:)
I bought the car brand new. I thought it was some kind of residue that is y I was tried to wipe off with IPA. But It made it worse.

jikim83
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
we deal with hondas everyday, sometimes the trim is stained from degreaser/prep solutions. we buff it out, have good luck with d301 finish wax. If it is actual paint missing than painting is the cure. like mentioned before Sems makes a good trim paint in a rattle can.
HTH
I guess I should buy that paint and try. thanks

Jenn1270
09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I keep mine sealed with WETS. I always thought they were plastic panels and not painted. I may be wrong though.

Jenn

Kristopher1129
09-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I would just try using a trim dressing on that area. Or even possibly a trim cleaner to try and even it out. By the pictures, it doesn't appear to me that you've removed any paint.

opie_7afe
09-01-2011, 11:18 PM
that's just from the ipa, the paint is not missing so you probably just need to use a cleaner type wax on it or a very light abrasive polish, people have this issue with interiors when they spray stuff directly on the item there trying to clean and it leaves run marks.i would not repaint the area as its not needed.might take some elbow grease but it can be done.if nothing works you could always try to wet sand using something like 3000 grit then treat it like paint and remove sanding marks with a compound then go down to a swirl remover then a polish and then protect it with a wax/sealant. of course this would be the last thing i would try. always go with the least aggressive method first

Matt
09-02-2011, 01:07 AM
that's just from the ipa, the paint is not missing so you probably just need to use a cleaner type wax on it or a very light abrasive polish, people have this issue with interiors when they spray stuff directly on the item there trying to clean and it leaves run marks.i would not repaint the area as its not needed.might take some elbow grease but it can be done.if nothing works you could always try to wet sand using something like 3000 grit then treat it like paint and remove sanding marks with a compound then go down to a swirl remover then a polish and then protect it with a wax/sealant. of course this would be the last thing i would try. always go with the least aggressive method first

:iagree:

Polish the area, on a lot of vehicles, especially slightly older, the pillars are painted rather than plastic. It looks like the top layer of the paint has dried out slightly.

I've had this happen on a car once (from not being treated in any other way other than cleaning) and a gentle polish (by hand) with a finishing polish cleaned it right up like new.

This should an be easy repair.