PDA

View Full Version : Opti Guard vs. Opti Seal vs. UPGP

Rez90
08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Looking for some new LSP's and i'd like to order one of these. it seems like Opti Seal and UPGP are very similar products and i'm hoping some people can chime in and tell me which they like better and/or the similarities/differences.

Opti Guard seems to be a longer lasting product but i'm unsure of a few things with it....can you wax over it? should you wax over it? how do you maintain it? Do you really apply it to your own cars and not touch the finish for a year or close to it? I feel like if the product is that good everyone would use it....but it seems to be somewhat few and far between....

any info is greatly apprecaited :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Opti-Guard is the professional version. The version available through AG is Opti-Coat 2.0. No, you cannot wax over it. You can maintain it through light polishing if necessary. The reason "everyone" doesn't use it are several. One is cost, two is there is some learning curve to application and if you put it on too heavy you will have a "permanent" blemish which will require polishing to remove, and three, where's the fun of waxing all the time when you can't wax it??

Rez90
08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the info.

have you had any experience with either of the two other products in question?

feslope
08-31-2011, 04:06 PM
UPGP gets my vote. Easy to use, good durability and a dynamite finish. When used properly it is very economical. :xyxthumbs:

yakky
08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
UPGP has a sort of oily look to it, and for me it only seemed to have a nice shine at extreme angles. Optiseal has way more range and a deeper glassier look.

FussMan
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I have only used Opti-Seal and than layed Optimum Spray Car wax over it....amazing finish and sooo silky smooth..and ohh sooooo easy, almost too easy!

Good Luck

:xyxthumbs:

Fussman

Garry Dean
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Looking for some new LSP's and i'd like to order one of these. it seems like Opti Seal and UPGP are very similar products and i'm hoping some people can chime in and tell me which they like better and/or the similarities/differences.

Opti Guard seems to be a longer lasting product but i'm unsure of a few things with it....can you wax over it? should you wax over it? how do you maintain it? Do you really apply it to your own cars and not touch the finish for a year or close to it? I feel like if the product is that good everyone would use it....but it seems to be somewhat few and far between....

any info is greatly apprecaited :xyxthumbs:

Upgp is my go to sealant. The slickness you get from the polycharger is rediculous. OS is similar, but not as slick.

Opti coat if I remember correctly can be waxed over, but its not recommended.

So imo if you like to seal your car in 10min every 3-4 months go with Upgp, but if you would like to spend a couple of hours sealing her up one time and never really need to do it again, go for the opti coat.

Hope that helps.

RaskyR1
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
You can apply waxes, sealants, detail spray over Opti-Coat for added beauty if you like, but their durability will be significantly reduced since they won't "bond" with the Opti-Coat. It also sort of defeats the purpose of the coating too. Yes, with regular proper washings Opti-Coat will last for years. Optimum states you can use Poli-Seal for light
Polishing, but IME anything with much more cut then that will compromise the coating.

Opti-Seal is nice too but after using UPGP I think I like it a little more then the Opti-Seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rei86
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't even put a coating like OC/OG in the same category as as a sealant that the other two are in.

Rez90
09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the great responses. I think i'm going to go with UPGP as it seems to be an outstanding product and literally changes the game when it comes to application.

Garry Dean
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the great responses. I think i'm going to go with UPGP as it seems to be an outstanding product and literally changes the game when it comes to application.

You cannot go wrong with Upgp! Apply it thin and add layers to your liking 45 min apart. 1 layer lasts 3-4 months here in fl.

Rez90
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
You cannot go wrong with Upgp! Apply it thin and add layers to your liking 45 min apart. 1 layer lasts 3-4 months here in fl.

Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.

Garry Dean
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.

Anytime.

Flannigan
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Last time I talked with Sam, he said to wait at least 12 hours between coats of UPGP, otherwise the previous coat wouldn't be fully cured before you put on a fresh one.

Garry Dean
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Last time I talked with Sam, he said to wait at least 12 hours between coats of UPGP, otherwise the previous coat wouldn't be fully cured before you put on a fresh one.

I have been working with Premium Finish Care directly for the past few months and I assure you it only takes 45 min. Sam must have been mistaken.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Rick Vaal. He explained that the original version required a 12 hour cure time, but with some tweaking to the formula he was able to drop that time dramatically. He also said that if humidity is low you can apply an additional coat in as little as 15 min. This current version has been out for 3 years or so. Just FYI.