PDA

View Full Version : Waxing the top of a Van or SUV = how

Pages : [1] 2

LeMarque
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm currently working on my wife's XC90 (these things are about the size of a school bus!)

I used a small step ladder to reach the roof when washing. But how do you tackle this if some guy, like me, wants to apply or remove wax, etc. with a D/A?

The step ladder feels a bit to unstable to be reaching out at arms length.

SeaJay's
08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I have a 4 ft ladder that I use for roof tops that I can't reach from the ground. It's a fiberglass one that I picked up at Lowes. It's great for around the house as well.

JRivers
08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
I also use a step ladder. Only work on the portion of the roof directly in front of you. Do not over reach. It's better to climb down, move the ladder and repeat until you cover the entire roof (In my case, I have to do this 3 times per side on my Endeavor :D)...better safe than sorry...

CleanGene
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
I use a Werner 4' platform when working on the top my pickup. Allows me to do the entire top without having to stop an reposition.

truckbutt
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
There is a product called Durabench 2 in 1 Workbench and Scaffold. Do a Google search. Griots has a similar product. Or you can just keep moving a small ladder around.

LeMarque
08-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Problem I see with a ladder is that your facing the wrong way and need to twist left or right.

I may pick up a 3 or 4 foot step ladder and cover the back side with thick foam; just in case it tips over against the body.

Since I'm considering detailing as a business, I've thought of an actual scaffold.

The XC90 has a factory roof rack which makes it still more difficult to reach over. Also, I'm picturing the day a custom van pulls in with an AC unit on the roof ...

Jimmie
08-31-2011, 05:58 PM
These will go on sale quite often:
Werner Ladder - Work Platform (http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/workplatform.php)
Or, buy a scaffolding board to span two ladders. Not expensive if you have the ladders.

mdb917
08-31-2011, 07:03 PM
With ladders like the "Little Giant" (several vendors make similar products now) they are designed to be split into two seperate "A" ladders and you can span the distance between the 2 "A" ladders with a platform made from lumber or purchase metal ones.

LeMarque
08-31-2011, 07:32 PM
I've looked at the Werner Platform, but it doesn't provide enough height.

The ladder idea is worth considering ...

A.P.A.D.
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
a cherry picker truck! j/k i use a step ladder. if it is a larger vehicle i use my 8ft ladder. not fun, but safe

T.O.C.
08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a platform like the werner and use it to do mini vans all the time. never have a problem reaching the center of the roof, and I am only 5'9.

SeaJay's
09-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Problem with a something like a platform is if your mobile like I am most of the time space is limited. So the 4' ladder is perfect. It fits in my HHR perfectly. Of course I can fit a 10' ladder in there when I need to. But I have to fold the front seat down and it sits against the dash (protected with a thick mf).

I would love to have a platform though. Going up and down a ladder on a big truck with a cap gets tiring.

T.O.C.
09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Problem with a something like a platform is if your mobile like I am most of the time space is limited. So the 4' ladder is perfect. It fits in my HHR perfectly. Of course I can fit a 10' ladder in there when I need to. But I have to fold the front seat down and it sits against the dash (protected with a thick mf).

I would love to have a platform though. Going up and down a ladder on a big truck with a cap gets tiring.

these platforms sides/legs fold up. making it smaller and more compact than a 4' ladder.

truckbutt
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
These will go on sale quite often:
Werner Ladder - Work Platform (http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/workplatform.php)
Or, buy a scaffolding board to span two ladders. Not expensive if you have the ladders.
Just ordered one from Home Depot. Free Shipping. Thanks.

poweraid
09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
idk is menards is spread throughout the u.s ? but the Werner platforms are on sale right now . $33